Problem restoring saved machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
C Peterson

Problem restoring saved machine

Post by C Peterson »

Never had this issue before. I have a new, clean installation of VB 5.0.0 r101573 on a Windows 7-64 host. One vm created, an XP machine. The vm starts fine if it was in an off state, runs fine, no problems. If I save the vm state, I get an error when starting,

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win XP-SP3.

Details:

Failed to load unit 'CSAM' (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE).

Result Code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: 
ConsoleWrap
Interface: 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
This vm was exported from another installation (VB 4.3.24), where it runs fine from a saved state. I can't seem to find anything about this particular failure or the CSAM unit. Any ideas where to look? At this point I don't know if I have found a bug, or just have some minor installation problem.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Problem restoring saved machine

Post by noteirak »

If you exported the VM from another host, then no guarantee is given for the saved state to work. Saved state are influenced by the host CPU capabilities per exemple, so you can't just load anything.
If this is on the same host, then you should file a ticket on the BugTracker with all the logs and explain in detail the export process and any change in between.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
C Peterson

Post by C Peterson »

noteirak wrote:If you exported the VM from another host, then no guarantee is given for the saved state to work. Saved state are influenced by the host CPU capabilities per exemple, so you can't just load anything.
If this is on the same host, then you should file a ticket on the BugTracker with all the logs and explain in detail the export process and any change in between.
I get that transferring a saved state between different hosts could be a problem. But once I've started (from a stopped state) on the new host, and then exited with a saved state, shouldn't it then open without error?
br125
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by br125 »

Hello,
I face the same problem with CSAM when updating from Virtualbox V4.3.28-100309 to 5.0.0-101573.
My system is a windows 7 host (64 bit) OS and Asus motherboard P8P67 with a Intel core i5 2500 processor and 16 GB ram. All virtualboxes are installed as windows 7 clients (32 bit).
I use VB already since more than two years, up to now without any problems. This has now changed with my update to VB 5.0.

Luckily I've exported all my VB clients (Export Appliance ... Strg+E) before I've performed the update with Version 4.3.28-100309 as .OVF 2.0.
After the Update to 5.0.0-101573 I've imported the appliance and since it worked fine for the first start I've updated also the Guest Additions to Version 5 and closed the machine. As I just can see, this was a big failiure because the machine won't start again. Instead of a correct machine I get the same Error message as C Peterson: Failed to load unit 'CSAM' (Verr_SSM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE.
If I however close the VM by shutdown the windows system with the start button, then the VM can be opened again without an error message.

Since I haven't changed anything at the hardware of my computer neither I've changed anything at the operating system, it looks from my point of view that this problem is caused by Version 5 of VB.

Is there anybody who has an idea how this problem can be solved ?
I've added the log files of the VM after restoring the VM by opening the closed VM and after I received the error by opening the saved VM.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
regards
br125

PS: Please apologiize any mistakes in my post since I do not have a lot experience with posting errors.
Attachments
2015-05-17_Internet_Template after restore.log
This is the log file after I've restored the VM and opened it for the first time and closed it by saving the state.
(99.91 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
2015-05-17_Internet_Template-error CSAM.log
(91.46 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
ITMAN

Post by ITMAN »

Hello I have gotten the same error before when using VBomVmService. To fix the error all I had to do is go into Virtualbox Manager right click on the problem vm and click "Discard Saved State" then startup normally.
br125

Post by br125 »

Thank you ITMAN for your hint. I know this option with discarding the saved state and you are right, this will help to get a VM started. However it does not fix the problem which seem to be located in version 5 of the software. It seems, that I have to wait for the next update and hopefully this error will be fixed with the update.

regards
br125
br125

Post by br125 »

Problem solved!

Many thanks to the developper. I've found a bug-ticket which refers to a fix of this problem (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14304) and luckily it worked with my system :-))

regards
br125
AlexSta

Post by AlexSta »

Hey guys,

Do you know if there's a fix for Debian/Ubuntu too? I've seen it only for Win & Fedora in details of the bug, ticket #14304.

Thank you,
Alex.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

According, to the ticket, the fix is part of VB 5.0.2.
Changed 11 days ago by frank
Status changed from new to closed
Resolution set to fixed
Fix is part of VBox 5.0.2.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.