Virtualbox and "Get Windows 10"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Virtualbox and "Get Windows 10"

Post by Perryg »

Victor999 wrote:
Perryg wrote:Not sure what your problem is but to answer your question you should be able to upgrade the guest to W-10 when it is available. I have the icon on my W-7 guest.
You have an icon. I don't. And I don't know why. That's my problem.
Many thanks for that info. At least I know someone with a W7 guest has an icon.
The whole point in showing it is that it should be available to you. I see no information provided that I can use to try to even begin to figure out why yours doesn't have it. Kind of why I said don't know why you don't. Maybe if you posted the guests log file ( as an attachment )....?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

loukingjr wrote:For those who don't see the icon.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-t ... s-missing/
I guess I wasn't clear enough. This will install the icon for those who don't have it.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Victor999

Post by Victor999 »

loukingjr wrote:
loukingjr wrote:For those who don't see the icon.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-t ... s-missing/
I guess I wasn't clear enough. This will install the icon for those who don't have it.
Got the icon now - thanks.

It says that the Virtualbox graphics adapter is not compatible. It also says my cpu is not compatible - Don't understand that - I am running an Intel I3...that's not compatible???
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I don't know what the system requirements are. But, there are many people running W10 as a guest in VirtualBox. As far as the CPU warning, it may be looking to VT-x which may not be enabled in your BIOS. Just guessing.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... rements-pc

Like I said no one can tell you why unless you provide the necessary information. Of course you can always troubleshoot it yourself if you like.
KernowPhoto

Post by KernowPhoto »

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 Pro on Virtual Box.
The Windows 10 Reserve and Upgrade Icon has appeared but the Get Windows screen informs me
'Windows 10 will not run on this PC'
Critical Issue - Virtualbox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8. You will experience problems with your display

Consequently I cannot reserve or download the Windows 10 update.

Any solutions?
linus100
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by linus100 »

I also have a Windows 7 guest that I had to coax into showing the "Get Windows 10" icon. Now I am able to run the upgrade applet, but I also get "The CPU isn't supported."

VirtualBox 4.3.28 on CentOS 6.6 with AMD CPU:

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 21
model : 2
model name : AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 4000.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 8
core id : 7
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 23
initial apicid : 7
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx f16c lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 tce nodeid_msr tbm topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb cpb npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold bmi1
bogomips : 8026.79
TLB size : 1536 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate cpb eff_freq_ro
Unknown1900

Post by Unknown1900 »

I got same problem but resolved. I enabled PAE/NX, AMD-v and changed controller to ICH9 from PIIX3. The windows 7 tell me it can upgrade to windows 10.
linus100
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by linus100 »

I have everything configured the way you do, except I had PIIX3 as chipset. I just changed to ICH9, rebooted and still no joy. You didn't mention whether you have nested paging enabled. I do.

I know this is the wrong place to ask, but wouldn't it be nice if it were to also tell why the "CPU isn't supported?"

Thanks for your post.
notzippy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by notzippy »

linus100 wrote:I have everything configured the way you do, except I had PIIX3 as chipset. I just changed to ICH9, rebooted and still no joy. You didn't mention whether you have nested paging enabled. I do.

I know this is the wrong place to ask, but wouldn't it be nice if it were to also tell why the "CPU isn't supported?"

Thanks for your post.
On my one VM I had the CPU isnt supported but not on the other VM, the only difference between the two was the first had 1 processor and an execution cap, the second one had no cap. Try changing the CPU to no execution cap, it may fix it...

Nz
MD678685

Post by MD678685 »

If anyone still can't reserve their copy of Windows 10, try this:
  1. Set your guest OS to "Windows 10" or "Windows 10 (64-bit)" depending on which architecture your VM is currently on. (Note that you can't upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to Windows 10 64-bit, or vice-versa.)
  2. Make sure to have 1 GB of RAM allocated if you are installing the 32-bit version, or 2GB for the 64-bit version.
  3. Try (re-)running a fix script (there's one at the end of this post).
  4. Restart and make sure the VM is fully updated. (Restart and check for updates a few times, just to make sure.)
If you still can't get the applet to work, use the media creation tool on the guest (goo.gl/Y1mbTm) and choose "Upgrade this PC now".

If the tool doesn't work on the guest, try this:
  1. Run the tool on your host (EDIT: Windows-only!) and choose "Create installation media for another PC". Use the tool to create an ISO, you don't need to burn it or create a USB installer.
  2. Mount the ISO in VirtualBox.
  3. Boot into Windows as normal and right-click and open the ISO. (The autorun seems to be broken for the ISO I have.)
  4. Run the setup.exe file.
  5. If Setup doesn't work inside Windows, try booting into the ISO (although I don't think it will make a difference).
You can find a fix script here: goo.gl/DcTCrd or goo.gl/7y8uWz. Save it as a .bat and run as administrator.

Sorry about the lack of proper links, I'm new to the forums.

EDIT: The tool is Windows-only, though you could run it on the guest and save it to a shared folder.
Last edited by MD678685 on 2. Aug 2015, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
mFuSE

Post by mFuSE »

Victor999 wrote:It says that the Virtualbox graphics adapter is not compatible. It also says my cpu is not compatible - Don't understand that - I am running an Intel I3...that's not compatible???

Hello,

i have the same problem.
Only - i had the Icon from beginning - that workes out of the box.
But when I'm trying to upgrade my virtualbox VM it says:
2015-08-02 16_18_28-Windows7P [wird ausgeführt] - Oracle VM VirtualBox - CPU error.png
2015-08-02 16_18_28-Windows7P [wird ausgeführt] - Oracle VM VirtualBox - CPU error.png (97.89 KiB) Viewed 41191 times
But my host has no problem:
2015-08-02 16_19_38-Windows 10 herunterladen-HOST.png
2015-08-02 16_19_38-Windows 10 herunterladen-HOST.png (44.56 KiB) Viewed 41191 times

So it has to be a virtual box issue.
The VM settings:
2015-08-02 16_21_48-Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.png
2015-08-02 16_21_48-Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.png (100.73 KiB) Viewed 41191 times

Why it isn't working?
I have Windows 10 previews editions already running in virtual box since some time.
But this time i wanted to try the update procdere inside one Win7 VM - and got now this error?
notzippy

Post by notzippy »

To get around this, you need to uninstall (and delete) the graphics driver for virtualbox, then windows will do the upgrade.

Once updated you will need to reinstall the graphics driver. I had to run the command with a "/force" after it to make it install. Seems to have worked

Nz
antevans

Post by antevans »

GWX refused to upgrade my Win 7 32 bit guest because it didn't like the graphics driver - see examples above. It turns out this doesn't matter - you can upgrade Windows manually. But don't make the same electron-wasting mistakes I did.

I did not have a chipset compatibility problem (PIIX3 & I/O APIC). System compatibility I set to Win 10 32 before I started.

You need the oddly named MS media creation tool (links above). The only thing that worked for me was to run this and choose upgrade this PC now, in the guest. The rest is details - you can stop reading now.

On my experience, do not download the standalone ISO image. The ISO doesn't work, because, stupidly, it does not upgrade. It only installs. Running setup.exe in the guest off the ISO, my Win 7 licence key failed and that was it. Maybe there are some command line switches you can use to force an upgrade, but I didn't bother to look for them.

The first attempt failed with an old MS install error about failing to set up a working directory. I extended the guest partition by 10GB and this problem went away. I also ran the media creator as an admin, because on reflection it seemed nuts not to.

Telling the media creation tool to 'upgrade this PC' allows a cleanish ('keep nothing') install and activates without asking for a licence key. I didn't try any other kind of install. The display compatibility issue just gets ignored because of course it's not an issue. Once Win 10 is running, the guest additions install and work without problems using the VB Win 8 driver.

'Keep nothing' keeps your old Windows structures in /Windows.old. It zaps My Documents and Program Files, and leaves non-standard folders untouched. You will want to delete /Windows.old good and proper.

This is a 32 bit guest. Win 10 would not boot without PAE/NX, even with less than 3GB RAM. You only find this out about an hour in, when the Win 10 boot loader abends. The installer recovers, but throws away your image, giving you the opportunity to download a whole new one. The PAE/NX setting didn't stick at first, so I ended up learning this twice. I will never get those electrons back.

Guest is now Win 10 Home 32. Host is Win 8.1 Pro 64 running VB 5.0.0.

AMD, because it's not Intel.
notzippy

Post by notzippy »

antevans wrote: On my experience, do not download the standalone ISO image. The ISO doesn't work, because, stupidly, it does not upgrade. It only installs. Running setup.exe in the guest off the ISO, my Win 7 licence key failed and that was it. Maybe there are some command line switches you can use to force an upgrade, but I didn't bother to look for them.
I was able to upgrade using the Win10_English_x64.iso, do not boot from the disk, you must run the setup.exe on the disk from your windows 7 guest. If you boot it expects you to enter your windows 10 product key not your windows 7 key (even though it will happily allow you to skip this step during the install process)

Nz