Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Post by Perryg »

Thank you for the link. It does clarify a few things from the previous link they posted which is why they posted again to explain.

Also just to clarify a point if I may. I took from your statement that the insider program was a time bomb, which it isn't. True you have to update to continue but that is not a reason to label it a time bomb which has been associated with a program that was going away. Just a terminology that can be misunderstood.

Also as Lou states you can not join the insider at the moment but they will allow you to join shortly. The insider program was in all intents for expert users and released to the general public in an attempt ( IMHO ) to appease user that were sorely disappointed with the entire Windows 8 experience.

So now we all agree and its time to move on. Thank you again.
Legorol

Post by Legorol »

Perryg wrote:Also just to clarify a point if I may. I took from your statement that the insider program was a time bomb, which it isn't. True you have to update to continue but that is not a reason to label it a time bomb which has been associated with a program that was going away. Just a terminology that can be misunderstood.
I apologise if me using the phrase "time bomb" was ambiguous. I tried to consistently refer to individual builds being time-bombed, as opposed to the whole program having some sort of limit on it. I will try to be more careful about how I phrase it in the future.
Also as Lou states you can not join the insider at the moment but they will allow you to join shortly.
As I replied to Lou as well, you can still join the Insider program, even right now. You can also still download Windows 10 Mobile builds as well. Only PC builds are currently on hold.
The insider program was in all intents for expert users and released to the general public in an attempt ( IMHO ) to appease user that were sorely disappointed with the entire Windows 8 experience.
That's an interesting take on it, I didn't think of it that way before.
So now we all agree and its time to move on. Thank you again.
Fair enough, thank you too.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Either way I have both options available, I have W10 reserved for my Windows 8.1 box and will be continuing on with the insider program.

As far as this…
Therefore the Insider program and preview builds are not a one-size-fits-all solution.
Way to state the obvious. That is true of everything in the Universe.

Moving on.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
frarie

Post by frarie »

To get a bit more on topic...

1. It's funny to see Mickysoft report in my display that my display does not function.

2. However, it's mostly annoying that I cannot download (and eventually install) the update. Removing Guest Additions does not help and removing the Virtual Box Display Driver (it's now 'Generic PNP') does not help.

VirtualBox devs, any suggestions how to get this to work?

Edit: I'm running 4.3.30 (VB, extensions and guest additions).
artspb

Post by artspb »

Hi there. Any updates here? I would like to upgrade my 7 to 10, but got an error with an incompatible graphics adapter. I'm not a participant of the insider program, so I've no chance to install 10 from scratch.
frarie

Post by frarie »

Seems like they still need to adapt the 8.1 VB display driver for Windows 10 use.

Could anyone please shed some light on this? Will this happen and if so, when will this happen?

Would be nice to have a functional test machine before our customers can't resist the urge any longer to upgrade.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Actually the vbox video driver works perfectly well with Windows 10. Numerous users are running it in VirtualBox. The problem is what is Microsoft checking for? I'm not sure anyone knows and if they are checking to see if Windows 7 or 8.1 is running in a VM it may never update.

Apparently users of Parallels and VMWare are facing the same issue.
frarie

Post by frarie »

If that's the case, it's a Microsoft issue and I'd expect they would act upon it soon. VM installs isn't such a tiny niche market anymore and I guess they want the software out there tested and released on their new flag ship asap.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Actually Microsoft never said you could do a free VM update. Beats me.
frarie

Post by frarie »

Some interesting thoughts here:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... u-qualify/

However, I'd still find it strange if they wouldn't allow it just because I'm running an VM, I payed the full price for Windows 8.1 just like anyone else.

Also, the error message that Microsoft gives, something in the line of "Your display driver has not been made compatible by the manufacturer", suggests the issue lays in compatibility (-check) rather than licensing.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see what pops up as a solution in the coming days(?).
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

frarie wrote: Also, the error message that Microsoft gives, something in the line of "Your display driver has not been made compatible by the manufacturer", suggests the issue lays in compatibility (-check) rather than licensing.
Well the problem with that is Windows 10 does run in VirtualBox. I have it installed on Linux, OSX and Windows. Many people have Windows 10 running as a guest. It's just updating that seems to be the problem.
frarie

Post by frarie »

Indeed, I just read the following in the KB of Parallels:
You receive this warning due to the fact that the Parallels Display Adapter driver is not included to the list of drivers compatible for Windows 10 Update.
So let's hope that's the actual issue, 'compatible', and it will be resolved by Microsoft for all VM display drivers.
NoboBears

Post by NoboBears »

To get the "reserve Windows 10" button to work (ie. get around the display incompatible message), delete:

C:\Windows\AppCompat\Appraiser\Telemetry\Appriser.JSON

Restart "Get Windows 10" and should see the "reserve" button.

Or easier: download the W10 iso and install that. In the process of doing that right now.

[Not allowed to post the link to it, too much a newbie, but easy to find]
frarie

Post by frarie »

Thanks NoboBears.

However, I made a mistake, I cloned the VM and tried it in the clone, but cloning resulted in the loss of the entire upgrade button (the flag) in the lower-right. To make matters worse, the original VM doesn't show it anymore either. So I guess Windows decided I changed machines and removed my right to upgrade... or something. Note that System info still says that my copy is activated.

Let this be a note of warning to others :)

Anyways, I'm gonna try to find an alternative way to upgrade. Might opt for the iso indeed.
frarie

Post by frarie »

Tried to install using MediaCreationTool, downloaded nicely, updated nicely, but during first phase of install:
"Something happened" "The installation of Windows 10 failed".

No error in event log.

I give up for now :P