VM is "inaccessible"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kjbucknum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7

Re: VM is "inaccessible"

Post by kjbucknum »

See post http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41695 for some others having the same problem. I'm still having it every day.

Virtualbox 4.0.8 running on Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit from deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian natty contrib

Virtual machine was recreated multiple times before the trick of just removing the bad characters came along, so the machine at least was created using the version I'm running.

Disk image that this is running on was originally created under some version of Virtualbox 3 on Gentoo 64bit and runs Win 7 64 bit. It has actually been moved up and down from 3 to 4 several times. I tried 4 on Gentoo a couple times, but it was unstable so dropped back down to 3 with no problems. I switched to Ubuntu about 3 weeks ago, and ran under Ubuntu's OSE version for a couple weeks, but it was extremely unstable. It crashed 2-3 times a day. I switched to the version from Virtualbox about a week ago, and the crashes went away, but everytime I go to start the machine, I have to delete the control characters out of the file.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Try shutting down everything related to VirtualBox and instead of deleting the line replace the invalid characters with "4.0.8", save, & exit then see if starting the guest still corrupts the *.vbox file.
kjbucknum

Post by kjbucknum »

Didn't help.

Powered off my two virtual machines. ps aux | grep virt showed nothing. Edited the file to remove the control characters, and then relaunched. Fired up outlook to check email, shut it down, and after it was down, control characters again.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I am unable to reproduce this error.
Add your name to this http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8948 ticket and post the *.vbox file (as attachment) It would not hurt to also post the guests log file (as attachment)
dadaj
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win7

Post by dadaj »

Yesterday, I report the problem won't affect the VM machine created by the copy of VirtualBox repository(i.e.: "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lucid contrib non-free"). The VM machine also is inaccessible today after Ubuntu LTS 10.04 started.
toothless
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: multiple linux and windows

Post by toothless »

Same error for me after upgrading from vbox 4.0.6 to 4.0.8 on my Ubuntu 10.04 host (AMD64) and Win server 2008 guest:

PCDATA invalid Char value 3.
Location: '/home/user/.VirtualBox/Machines/WinServer2008_64bit/WinServer2008_64bit.xml', line 142 (3), column 36.
/home/vbox/vbox-4.0.8/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[679] (nsresult Machine::registeredInit()).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
VirtualBox
Interface:
IVirtualBox {d2de270c-1d4b-4c9e-843f-bbb9b47269ff}
oreomatic
Guest OSses: Server 2008

Post by oreomatic »

Same problem here, only solution I found was deleting the extra character created in the .vbox file. Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Host, vbox 4.0.8 from virtualbox.org with Windows 2008 x64 guest, I also have a Windows 7 x64 guest which doesn't produce the same issue. I took a screenshot with the line in question, If I remove the weird character it works fine. I'm in vboxuser group, have dkms installed and if it's any relevance I use compiz. The column is never right, but if you search for the line it's supposed to be on, gedit makes it fairly noticeable with a box place mark. This event happens everytime I close virtualbox and not always the same line affected but it is always seems to be adding a character after value eg; value="*<character here>" .

See screenshot/logs attached
Attachments
linms2008.jpg
linms2008.jpg (103.85 KiB) Viewed 18006 times
VBox.log.3.txt
(76.61 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
LinMSS2008.vbox.txt
(11.64 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

All of those that have not need to add their names and information at the ticket posted above!
It's the only way this is going to be fixed.
dadaj
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win7

Post by dadaj »

thanks oreomatic:

Following your instruction, the VM machine run smoothly without reapplying settings again.
otobyt
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by otobyt »

Similar issue running 10.04 LTS host and Windows 7 guest under virtualbox 4.0.8:

Code: Select all

PCDATA invalid Char value 3.
Location: '/home/arrt/.VirtualBox/Machines/W7/W7.vbox', line 142 (3), column 36.
/home/vbox/vbox-4.0.8/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[679] (nsresult Machine::registeredInit()).
Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
VirtualBox
Interface: 
IVirtualBox {d2de270c-1d4b-4c9e-843f-bbb9b47269ff}
only fix I've found so far is to remove '' character from referenced line of .vbox file... don't know yet how to keep VirtualBox from re-writing that character every time I run the VM. I have an XP guest that seems to run fine after the upgrade from 4.0.6 to 4.0.8 however... will be curious to hear any solutions to this issue.
kjbucknum

Post by kjbucknum »

Solution is in the ticket linked above. Have add a registry entry in Windows.
otobyt
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by otobyt »

rey

Post by rey »

Hi!

Good day, Please help me in my problem.. We're running virtualbox as server in our office, when suddenly the host crashes and my guest OS become inaccessible. We have snapshots as backup, but I think the .vbox file is corrupted so snapshots are useless. I tried the solutions on the internet but no luck.

I tried using the.vbox-prev as .vbox
Also there is no special characters on .vbox file.

Below is the error;
Extra Content at the end of the document.

Please please help me.. :(

Thank you.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

One issue per thread please. Open a new topic, make sure you've read Minimum information needed for assistance and provide zipped attachment of the VM log file and the guest settings in the new topic.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!