Discussion of Problems due to Hardened Security

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cdg

Re: Windows 4.3.28 Specifically for errors due to Security

Post by cdg »

LucaCosta wrote:install older version
Be more specific. You have to go back to 4.3.12 to avoid this issue. But, of course, that reinstates various other problems that have been fixed since.
cdg

Post by cdg »

The same problem began to appear with Windows7 (32-bit version) and Vbox 4.3.28 on 7/09/2015! It occurs whether or not Avira AV is enabled.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windoze XP.

The virtual machine 'Windoze XP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\David\VirtualBox VMs\Windoze XP\Logs\VBoxStartup.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Machine
Interface: IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Olegis

Post by Olegis »

Hello,
I have an old problem.
OS Win7 x32 Ultimate.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition 1.0.21.1099.
VirtualBox - 5.0.0-101573 (similar errors appeared with version 4.3.14)
When I run the guest appears this window:
"ERROR In SupR3HardenedWinResSpawn"
After removal of the antivirus VBox starts as expected.
Daylight 4.3.12 impossible because Debian Jessie on the guest machine to these versions may not work properly.
Please, fix this bug.
Thanks.
Attachments
VirtualBox - 5.0.0-101573.png
VirtualBox - 5.0.0-101573.png (13.41 KiB) Viewed 10315 times
VBoxStartup.zip
(9.42 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
HF

Post by HF »

I haven't been able to use any Vbox version since 4.3.16. I've posted on this before and there is never a resolution.

Today I tried 4.3.28 - no luck. Then I tried 5.0, same error (attaching logs). This has gone on for months now.

Anyone have suggestions on what product to use to replace Virtual Box for Ubuntu guests on Windows hosts?
Attachments
VBoxStartup.log
(78.22 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

HF, down at the bottom of your log shows a bunch of Windows DLLs with the WinVerifyTrust error. This seems to indicate you may have the bunged-up Windows Updates on your PC. Search for those updates and uninstall them, and try Virtualbox again.
HF

Post by HF »

It's a corporate laptop - I have no control over the updates but Vbox 4.3.16 runs fine and so does **everything** else.

I also did an sfc scan, no problems found.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you can't get the updates off, then you can't get by the WinVerifyTrust issue. Virtualbox actually is running correctly. Microsoft messed up their trust certificate database with the updates, that's why the issue appears. Try to make a case to IT for removal of the updates. There's info on the Web about the problem, maybe they'll see reason.
HF

Post by HF »

Do you have a link that describes this problem? You should also put in the FAQ since this appears to be a common issue.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Links to reports on the various Windows Update issues were provided in previous incarnations of this topic. Go to the first message then follow the "old topics" links back.

I have to say that the "lacks WinVerifyTrust" thing is not clear cut. My own startup logs say (on XP host) says "lacks WinVerifyTrust" for several OS DLLs such as "user32.dll". My log also mentions "uxtheme.dll" which is a common hacked DLL. Yet my log still ends with an exit code of 0 (meaning success).

I suspect two things: first is that "lacks WinVerifyTrust" is not important unless the trust issue is still unresolved by the end of the log (mine mostly occur near the start). Second, I think that VirtualBox now simply zaps an unwanted DLL rather than erroring out. However this can cause another DLL in the process space, which is signed but which relies on an unsigned DLL, to crash. I tend to the opinion that all of the "0xC0000005" type exit codes are of this variety.

The best solution, as has been said since v4.3.14 came out, is to try to ensure that all injected DLLs are signed. I would have thought this was a no-brainer for AV suites - and you really need to talk to your own IT people if your chosen AV suite is non compliant.

It would also be useful if someone on the devteam started leaving a few clues as to how to decipher the startup log, since it seems to be here to stay.
HF

Post by HF »

The strange part of this is that when I first install 4.3.28 or 5.0, it will run. It only starts failing on subsequent attempts to use it.

We do have a corporate AV, McAfee. I suspect its the AV or our company's certificates since we have problems accessing some websites because the company puts its own proxy server in the middle to intercept all certs.

Even so, it would be nice to disable the security protection. It doesn't seem to be helping with anything.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

HF wrote:Even so, it would be nice to disable the security protection. It doesn't seem to be helping with anything.
You are about 12 months late for that discussion. I don't see a change in the stated Oracle position happening now.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

mpack wrote:
HF wrote:Even so, it would be nice to disable the security protection. It doesn't seem to be helping with anything.
You are about 12 months late for that discussion. I don't see a change in the stated Oracle position happening now.
Not to mention that while you do not see a reason for the hardening it is there to *keep* you from seeing a reason for the hardening. Nasty things can happen without it these days.
Pretty much one of the reasons I don't do Windows these days, at least on line. VirtualBox on Linux has had hardening for ever.
usr258

Post by usr258 »

Is there a "Windows 5.0.0 Specifically for errors due to Security" forum yet?

mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure there's any point in a new topic. All of the messages in this incarnation just rehashed old territory.
cdg

Post by cdg »

When examining the log files, it appears that the "lacks WinVerifyTrust" message appears for VirtualBox dll's as well as Windows dll's. So how is this related to Windows Updates?