Windows 10 Hosts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Windows 10 Hosts

Post by mpack »

This topic is for sharing tips and tricks on how to get VirtualBox to install and work correctly on a Windows 10 host.

Note that Windows 10 is still in beta (preview) as I write this, and is not officially supported by VirtualBox as a host OS. This topic will close when Win10 is formally released and official VirtualBox support is announced.

The main tip for the moment is to turn off the bridged adapter option when installing in Win10, as the latter doesn't like the driver install required.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Windows 10 Hosts

Post by mpack »

Feel free to share your tips and ask questions here. Remember to read existing posts first.

To prevent sprawl I will from now on be locking and/or deleting posts on this subject outside of this topic.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
rocksmoot

Post by rocksmoot »

I had to jump through a few hoops to get it running on build 10130. Mind you, I've so far been unsuccessful getting Hyper-V running on that build, but I was able to get VirtualBox 5rc 101271 running, with bridged networking functioning, no less.

1. Install normally
2. Reboot
3. Manually install bridged networking drivers C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf\VBoxNetLwf.inf (right click, select install)
4. Open network sharing center and click on "Change Adapter Settings"
5. Right-Click on your Ethernet adapter and select "Properties"
6. Click "Install"
7. Select "Service"
8. Select Virtual Box NDIS Bridged Network Driver
9. Select OK.

After doing all this, I still couldn't get bridged networking working until I ran virtual box as an administrator. Once I do all that it works just fine.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Uh.. I'll allow success stories, but any problems you have with the v5 beta need to be discussed in the beta forum. Otherwise this forum is for released versions of VBox on Windows hosts.

Edit:  VBox 5 is no longer in beta, so this objection is removed. However bear in mind that this is the "Win10 hosts" discussion topic, not the VBox 5 problems topic. 
Last edited by mpack on 9. Jul 2015, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: VB5 released.
billvbox
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Win 7, Win 2008

Post by billvbox »

I Cannot create 64 bit Guests

I am running Windows 10 64 build 10130 and cannot create a virtual box 64 bit guest.
I rebooted into Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and my 64 bit VMs were available and working.

I was experimenting with Hyper-V in windows 10 but decided to continue to use Virtual box because Hyper-V has poor screen handling.
I wonder if Hyper-V interfered with the machines virtualization settings somehow?

Running CPU-Z under Win 10 I noticed under instructions VT-x was missing but after I rebooted into Win 7 VT-x was available again.

I know this Windows 10 is a preview and I would like to change to over from Win 7 but I cannot continue as the 64 Bit VMs are necessary for my work.
Anybody have any ideas?

Update:
The problem is Hyper-V in Windows 10. I Reinstalled Win 10 and did not enable Hyper-V. Virtual box now runs my 64bit guests
Last edited by billvbox on 5. Jul 2015, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

billvbox wrote:I Cannot create 64 bit Guests
Anybody have any ideas?
I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
f209

Post by f209 »

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10162. The virtualbox runs but no matter what instructions I try to follow the bridged adapter will not install. NAT mode works, but really need bridged mode.
zburguy

Post by zburguy »

f209 wrote:Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10162. The virtualbox runs but no matter what instructions I try to follow the bridged adapter will not install. NAT mode works, but really need bridged mode.
Install with disable Network Cards after reboot previous install.
Run Virtualbox 5 RC3 as Administrator -> Start VM Good with bridge.
blueboyggh

Post by blueboyggh »

did not work on win10 10240

The host is Windows 10 build 10240,when I try to open a VM,it shows: VirtualBox Error "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ........."

and here is the LOGs

help me plz!
Attachments
VBoxStartup.log
(43.91 KiB) Downloaded 2151 times
GuillaumeR

Post by GuillaumeR »

Hi guys,

Windows 10 is closing to the final release, with the 10240 build.
There is still a blocking issue with

Code: Select all

vboxmanage hostonlyif create
which always returns an error, although an interface is created. This occurs with VBox 5.0 and 4.3.x, and this issue is being tracked in the 12182 ticket.

I don't know if the VBox team is aware of this issue so I'm posting it here. :)
I hope it will be fixed when Windows 10 is released.
marcthin

Post by marcthin »

Hello to you al, I use Oracle virtueel box now for 2 years great software! But I have a problem with the windows technical preview in virtual box it is the RT build the latest.
In te virtual box I install de software Oracle 5.00. I run the software to make a VM 64 Bit but I can only use 32 bit VM's. Despite erliere post of this probleem it simply don't work.
I have a host WIN7 64 Bit Intel Core IE7 4770 CPU (8 core's) 3,4 GHZ. What is the workarount?
I kan create VM's on the host(WIN7 64 Bit) 64 bit and 32 bit.
Is it a problem to install the orace software IN the VM (64 bit technical preview 10240 rt build)
I have it not tested on a clean install system windows 10 perhaps that is the sollution?

Regards
Marcthin

PS my english in writing is very very pore but I can read (and speak) it very good. :mrgreen:
etikka

Post by etikka »

Windows 10 is now at build 10240, which apparently is the RTM build. Therefore there shouldn't be major changes anymore.

Lets hope we'll get some working host only adapters etc. on Windows 10 hosts soon.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

marcthin wrote: Is it a problem to install the orace software IN the VM (64 bit technical preview 10240 rt build)
I have it not tested on a clean install system windows 10 perhaps that is the sollution?

Regards
Marcthin
If I understand you correctly, you cannot install VirtualBox in a VirtualBox VM. So no, you cannot install VirtualBox in your Windows 10 guest.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

loukingjr wrote:If I understand you correctly, you cannot install VirtualBox in a VirtualBox VM. So no, you cannot install VirtualBox in your Windows 10 guest.
Well technically you can, but performance would be absymal, plus VT-x would not be available, so no 64bit VMs and no Win8 or later VMs even if 32bit.