floppy .img files

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
arnor

floppy .img files

Post by arnor »

I´m tryng to create a virtual floppy disk from a folder to create a image" file.img". I´m using ImgBurn to do this. The "File.img" is created but the Virtual machine dont recognizes it. I´get a message that is invalid drive A. May You suggest me another program to do this?
I need help.
Thanks

Arnor
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: floppy .img files

Post by mpack »

Does ImgBurn say it will create a floppy image? My own copy of ImgBurn only offers to create CD and DVD disk images, which have the wrong filesystem for a floppy.

I only know of two ways to create a floppy image :-
  1. Create a physical floppy, then image it using a specific floppy imaging tool. I can't recommend a tool (it's been too long since I virtualized all my remaining floppies), but I'm sure Google can help.
  2. Take an existing floppy image and transfer files to it from an existing VM, e.g. from a host shared folder. I've attached a blank floppy image you can use.
Attachments
blank_floppy.zip
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 2152 times
dlharper
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

ImgBurn does not create floppy disk images. I believe there are programs that will do it, but I don't think any are free (under Windows) and I use a different technique.

Start with a file that is exactly 1,474,560 bytes in size. (You could use a copy of another floppy disk image. I created my first one by building up lines and characters in a text editor.) Give the file a .img extension.

Now open a VM in VirtualBox, making sure that it contains a (virtual) floppy drive. Use something new enough to run Guest Additions, such as one running Windows XP. Select your correctly-sized .img file as the virtual floppy disk for this VM. In the VM's "My Computer", format the floppy disk, making sure "Quick Format" is selected. Your file is now the image of a blank formatted floppy disk.

Now use this VM to copy files between your disk image and elsewhere, such as a GA shared folder on the host.

You may think this sounds long-winded, but it is remarkably easy to do in practice.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

dlharper wrote:You may think this sounds long-winded, but it is remarkably easy to do in practice.
It certainly sounds long winded compared to just using that ready-made blank floppy image I gave him... :)
dlharper
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

I think our replies crossed. You win!!
arnor

Post by arnor »

Thanks to all the colleagues who answered me.I got what I wanted to open an existing file (windows98SE.img). I opened it with UltraISO, blacked out the entire contents of the folder, rename it, and then "Add Files" put the files I wanted, I saved it (Save As), exchanging .ima to .img. Success.
You all rock!