GParted Won't Start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
BoiledFrog
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

GParted Won't Start

Post by BoiledFrog »

I am trying to resize my .vdi file. I have successfully resized the .vdi using VBoxManage. Now I am trying to edit the partition table using GParted but it won't start the GUI. I would attach Xorg.0.log but it's only saved on the live disk and it isn't available after I stop it. I see it trying to load vboxvideo but it's complaining that it doesn't exist. After that, it complains that /dev/dri/card0 doesn't exist. Then it complains that /dev/fb0 doesn't exist. At this point it seems to give up and it deletes Screen 0 because it has "no matching config section". VESA(0) then complains it "Cannot read int vect". Then it finally fails because "no screens found".

Is there a way to get this to work? I tried both the i586 and amd64 version of GParted. I used 0.22.0-2 in both cases.

Alternatively, is there a way to mount the .vdi as a loopback device and use Gparted on the host? The host is Ubuntu 14.04.2.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: GParted Won't Start

Post by Perryg »

Gparted is based on Debian SID and as such the newest version does not work since it does not contain the guest additions needed and have changed the video for SID now.

Download the version before 0.22 and it will work.
BoiledFrog
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by BoiledFrog »

I enabled EFI (whatever that means) and then it worked without having to downgrade GParted. I had to disable it again to boot the Debian guest.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Good to know,but the improvements in Gparted .22 really have little to do with a virtual guest. Hopefully they will get this all figured out soon and we will not need to jump through hoops to get it to work.
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Post by NoNoNo »

Recently I heard Gparted support EFI boot, but I didn't expect this situation.
Looks gparted team have something wrong with booting, I hope they boot well with and without EFI (traditional BIOS).
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Post by NoNoNo »

NoNoNo wrote:Recently I heard Gparted support EFI boot, but I didn't expect this situation.
Today I try to boot VBox 5.0.14 with Gparted-live 0.25.0-1. Unfortunately, it won't bring up GUI with EFI DISABLE. (but GUI work with EFI enable, like previous statement. :? ) Booting sequences stop and show up "User Login:"(CLI mode).
Nhck

Post by Nhck »

If you're still having problems booting GParted under Vbox after enabling EFI, change your graphics controller to VBoxSVGA under the VM's Settings -> Display options. The distro Gparted runs on seems to have problems only when it goes to start X.
Attachments
Settings -> Display -> Graphics Controller
Settings -> Display -> Graphics Controller
2019-10-19_06-42-08.png (22.59 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thanks for trying to help, but please be careful when posting into really old topics. The first post in this topic for example predates the introduction of the EFI option, and vastly predates the introduction in VirtualBox v6 of alternative graphics controllers.