Bluescreen on mrxdav.sys

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mnelson

Bluescreen on mrxdav.sys

Post by mnelson »

Hello,

I've been able to reproduce this problem using two different installs of linux as the host:

Host:
Ubuntu 7.10, virtual box 1.5.0 from the .deb provided on virtualbox.org
Mandriva 2008.0, virtual box 1.5.0 provided from the mandriva dvd

Guest:
windows xp professional sp2

Setup:
-br0 bridges eth0 and vbox0. host and guest have different ips. networking works.
-vt extensions enabled in bios (have tried enabled and disabled in the vbox software)
-host authenticates using active directory to a w2k domain
-guest is joined to the domain

Issue:
seemingly when i attempt to use a network resource from the guest (this could be browsing a network share, using vnc etc) i get a bluescreen:

If I close the VM and restart it, it will get another bsod right after i logon to the domain.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have, of course, looked up this error message and found a related knowledgebase article as well as a hotfix, but i find it hard to believe that this is the actual problem, based on what the explanation of the issue is.

Thanks
mnelson

Post by mnelson »

I'd also like to note that i've used the driver for the amd pcnet driver that gets installed with windows, as well as upgrading the driver that is provided with the guest addtions. the bluescreen will occur with either driver installed.
mnelson

Post by mnelson »

i just received this running windows xp as the host and windows xp as the guest as well.
bernard

Post by bernard »

Same problems for me with virtualbox 1.5.2 and winXP as guest on ubuntu 7.10.
johandahl

Workaround

Post by johandahl »

Hi

I had this problem but I fixed it by turning off the WebClient in Windows XP.

My Computer > Right click and select Manage > Service and Applications > Services.

Double click on WebClient. Press Stop button to turn it off and "Disabled" in the "Startup type" menu so It doesn't start at next system boot
bernard

fixed

Post by bernard »

johandahl you are the one. 8)
hamamelis

Re: fixed

Post by hamamelis »

bernard wrote:johandahl you are the one. 8)
This worked for me too. I had given up using VirtualBox on Ubuntu Hardy 804 because the shares crashed most of the time.

Disabling WebClient Service seemed to solve the blue screen crash with a reference to mrxdav.sys.

Thanks, Ian
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Hmm, good point. That might explain why one of my VMs kept crashing when accessing shared folders and the other didn't. As I modified the installation with nLite, I'm not so sure if I removed the web client. I will certainly remember this.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
hotmifi

Bluescreen on mrxdav.sys

Post by hotmifi »

According to Microsoft's Knowlegde Base article KB832143, it's a "genuine" Windows XP bug, nothing to do with VirtualBox. And with Service Pack 3 you cannot even hotfix it anymore. So: turning off the Webclient service is THE solution now.

BTW I could therefore reproduce the bug on latest VirtualBox 1.6.4 as well.
nabamer.

Post by nabamer. »

You kick ass. It worked perfect. All i need now is usb stuff.

Any idea on why none of my usb stuff works?

Modedit: I removed all the caps, no need to shout here.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

For USB, see the VirtualBox FAQ. It has links to howto's for Ubuntu and SuSE.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
grnroot

Re: Bluescreen on mrxdav.sys

Post by grnroot »

I was encountering a similar issue to this post but unfortunately, moving the .sys file on the guest and disabling the Web Client service didn't resolve it. I thought I followed the same info/article before to fix the VM but maybe not...

SYMPTOM:
Would encounter the BSOD when trying to access a network share upon the storage/server that I was running the VHD/VDI from. i.e. the Guest storage (VDI) was stored on our NAS and the snapshots were as well. Using a CIFS share/mapped network drive from host. I could access any other servers or systems on the network (i.e. shares), but when I would try to access the shares on the system which had the VDI, the system would give me a BSOD, or would lock up; forcing a hard shut down/close. Otherwise, if I chose Reset the VM would come back up and say there was "...no boot medium found!". It seemed a lot like a loopback or some other behavior, not sure, and may just be specific to this type of case.

DETAILS:
1. The guest (Windows XP Pro x32) VHD/VDI was being accessed from a remote share from a Windows XP Pro x32 host (i.e. via mapped network drive on network storage).
2. The NIC (single) either PCINet, Intel, etc... was NATTED.

I tried to move the .sys file from the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder and also disabled the Web Client service, but the BSOD would keep occurring. I thought that it might be network related so I tried several different NICS and no luck.

Eventually, just changed the setting from NAT to Bridged Adapter and the VM worked fine.

If the first parts don't help, try changing the NIC from NAT to Bridge or host only, etc.... Also, not sure if people are using the same type of implementation etc...