Connect USB device via Terminal?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
El Loco

Connect USB device via Terminal?

Post by El Loco »

Hi,

I do a lot of Android hardware development and to do this I frequently upload a modified library to my device, and then reboot it so it will load. Long story short, this drops the connection to the device, so after the device boots, I have to click "Devices->USB Devices->Android [0228]". I have to do this hundreds of times per day and it's really annoying!

Is there any command I could issue via a command prompt (Terminal) to connect to this USB device?

Thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Connect USB device via Terminal?

Post by Perryg »

You can always create a filter for it in the guest settings and it will always be attached when the guest is running.

Or if you really want the command line

Code: Select all

VBoxManage controlvm  <uuid|vmname>  usbattach <uuid>|<address> |
By the way you can see all of the VBoxManage commands in your users guide.
El Loco

Post by El Loco »

Thank you! Appreciate it. But, how do I get the uuid or address? If I do "VBoxManage list usbhost", it says "<none>". However I am definitely connected - the Devices->USB Devices->Android [0228] is checked, and I can successfully execute "adb devices" or "adb shell".

I've actually tried creating a filter, several times, but it causes the device to be considered attached when it is not.

For instance, if I do:

adb root
VirtualBox will show the device as connected, but adb devices will list nothing. I will not be able to shell into the device.

Worse, if I reflash the device (which causes it to become "Android [0100]" instead of "Android [0228]" until the flash is complete), the filter will cause the USB device to be permanently in use or something...I forget the exact error. At that point, the only solution is to restart VirtualBox entirely.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I honestly can't say. I don't have an android device. Perhaps someone else will. I was just answering your original question on how to attach it.
El Loco

Post by El Loco »

OK, I understand. I'm not sure why the filters don't work, but the VBoxManage would be a great workaround.

Still a little stuck with the VBoxManage method though. I did find the Android USB uuid by running VBoxManage in my Windows host. I also found the uuid of the VM.

Then, in my Ubuntu guest, I tried:
Attempt 1:

VBoxManage controlvm usbattach f9d3e8f8-a909-40e1-96c2-5de68af5cfde
VBoxManage: error: Could not find a registered machine named 'usbattach'
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 95 of file VBoxManageControlVM.cpp
Attempt 2: Here I also provided my VM uuid

VBoxManage controlvm  71be104f-530c-4c74-b546-3bb16fc35931 usbattach f9d3e8f8-a909-40e1-96c2-5de68af5cfde
VBoxManage: error: Could not find a registered machine with UUID {71be104f-530c-4c74-b546-3bb16fc35931}
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 95 of file VBoxManageControlVM.cpp
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

VBoxManage is operated from the host. You can't use it in the guest.