Internal Networking...What the heck

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ChangedSoul

Internal Networking...What the heck

Post by ChangedSoul »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I searched the forums and found nothing. And before someone responds "read the manual", I did "RTFM" (Read the Friendly Manual" :)

I know this is most likely an error on my part due to lack of knowladge and that s why I am posting here in hopes someone can help me with settings.

I have two Identical XP Pro VM's running as Guest in an OpenSuse11 Host. Both XP machines are setup to use Internal Networking with a network name of "testnetwork"

Both XP machines have their firewalls turned off.
One machine has an IP address of 192.168.2.10 and the other 192.168.2.11
Both subnets are set to 255.255.255.0
Gateway is blank because I havent a clue what to put there
and DNS I have set to the OpenDNS servers all though I dont think it will do any good in a "internal Network" setting.

From what I read from the manual, when the machines are set as Internal Networking, they are basically set up like they were connected to a switch. So Would I not be able to issue a ping command to the other Machines IP address and get a responce?

It seems I have no connections between the two XP Virtual machines, and I dont know what Im going wrong.

Can someone please help with more than a "read the manual" responce. I have read it and it doesnt give the info I am looking for.
amagine
Volunteer

Networking... between guests...

Post by amagine »

From what I understand VBox does not do port forwarding... so... hmm wait, I remember reading something similar...

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/OpenVPN_on_VBox

perhaps using the OpenVPN method you can get your Guests to ... talk.
ChangedSoul

Post by ChangedSoul »

Im not sure this is what Im looking for. I really dont care weather the Guests can talk to the host. I just want the Guests to be able to talk to each other. Internel Networking is suposed to work, but I cannot get it to for what ever reason.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

and DNS I have set to the OpenDNS servers all though I dont think it will do any good in a "internal Network" setting.
And there is your problem. Why would you set a DNS in a stand alone network that is not part of that stand alone network? It's like accessing internet on a computer with no network cards, it just can't find it. Remove the DNS entries. The VMs will know of each others names because they are directly connected to each other.

Did you ping on name only or also by IP address? Name only, see explanation above.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
amagine
Volunteer

Making Guests just like any other ... brother...

Post by amagine »

... I really dont care weather the Guests can talk to the host. I just want the Guests to be able to talk to each other ...

Hmm well I think this is the idea behind using openvpn to create a virtual network. I must admit I have not created a virtual network between guests, although the example looks pretty sound, and I don't think it would hurt to read through the example and gleem some important information about setting up a virtual network.

Good luck!

mars
ChangedSoul

Post by ChangedSoul »

Did you ping on name only or also by IP address? Name only, see explanation above.
As I said in my original post, I tried to ping the machines "IP" address. DNS is of no issue here. But just to be certain, I did remove the dns entries and it made no diference. The two machines cannot talk to each other.

I dont understand why this is not working. Can someone please suplly me with some network settings on the guest side to make this work? As of now, I have the following settings, which do NOT work.

VM-1
IP = 192.168.2.10
Sub = 255.255.255.0
Gateway =
DNS =

VM-2 192.168.2.11
SUB = 255.255.255.0
Gateway =
DNS =

If this is all that is needed to be configured in an Internal network, then can someone explain why it wont work...If this is wrong, please can someone explaing whats wrong and help me make it right.
amagine
Volunteer

gateway...

Post by amagine »

Try setting your Gateway on the guests as the Host IP.
ChangedSoul

Post by ChangedSoul »

Tried that, same problem.

Im going to try the identical setup in a windows Host and see if the problem still exists..maybe its a bug? beats me.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Amagine, please don't give advises that makes no sense and is even completely wrong. Setting an IP to a different computer that is not even reachable when using Internal Networking will just not work. How would you access a computer if there is no cable running to it (or connected wireless).

ChangedSould, did you try to disable the default Windows Firewall on the Guests? By default, it blocks NetBIOS traffic and ICMP (ping). Either disable the FW, or tick the checkbox where it says "Windows File and Printer sharing". I know you said this already, but you might want to double check. I also assume they are in the same workgroup.
What NIC type are you using on the XP Guests? If it's the PCNet adapter, try the Intel/Pro1000MT. Download the driver from the Intel site and install it.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

ChangedSoul

Post by ChangedSoul »

Problem solved. It was a issue with VirtualBox 1.6.0

I upgraded to 1.6.4 and the internal networking started to work flawlessly.
thanks for all the help though.
amagine
Volunteer

Post by amagine »

I suggested setting the default gateway to that of the hosts IP since this is how it is set up on my guest.

I don't have any problems connecting through my xp guest to my mint guest.

Have you tried re-installing guest additions maybe?

**** Edit ****

Sorry, I see problem is solved with a re-install of 1.6.4
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Re: ...

Post by Sasquatch »

amagine wrote:I suggested setting the default gateway to that of the hosts IP since this is how it is set up on my guest.

I don't have any problems connecting through my xp guest to my mint guest.

Have you tried re-installing guest additions maybe?

**** Edit ****

Sorry, I see problem is solved with a re-install of 1.6.4
It may have worked for you, but that does not guarantee it works for others. You were just lucky. Usually, it shouldn't even work as the OS will try to use the gateway to connect to the other station. Just because the two are directly connected, the use of a gateway is not needed this time. Please, next time you try to answer a question, think carefully if it actually makes sense and would work. Giving the wrong advise and work counter productive here, especially if you're dealing with less knowleable users.