Discuss the 4.3.22 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 4.3.22 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 4.3.22 release here. See the changelog for details. Please concentrate on regressions. Of course, positive feedback is also welcome :-)

Regarding the Shared Folders problem with Windows Guests: this seems to be a GAs snafu. Fixed GAs can be downloaded here.

Regarding the more or less frequent connection drops with NAT/NAT Network on Windows host: Fixed package can be downloaded from the test builds area.

Regarding PXE boot regression on Windows hosts: Fixed package can be downloaded from the test builds area.
Last edited by frank on 16. Mar 2015, 22:06, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Added link to test builds page.
SamH

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

Post by SamH »

I have upgraded today and virtual machine does not start. I have opened ticket: 13827.

What to do since I really need to have access to this virtual machine? Thanks.
Attachments
VBox.log
(98.55 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
After ugrade to vbox 4.3.22.png
After ugrade to vbox 4.3.22.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 38823 times
After ugrade to vbox 4.3.22  right after start.png
After ugrade to vbox 4.3.22 right after start.png (3.81 KiB) Viewed 38823 times
idrozd

Post by idrozd »

no comment
host Windows 8.1 x64
guest: ubuntu 14.10 x32
Attachments
window.jpg
window.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 38808 times
quickbooks

Post by quickbooks »

Please take a look at this https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13653

Guess we are stuck forever with 4.3.14!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

- Shared folders is seriously broken across all Windows guests.
- My shared folder is setup as: read-only, not auto-mount, permanent.
- In the guest, you could go to Explorer, Network, and browse to \\VBoxSvr\SharedFolder.
- This fails with GAs 4.3.22 (\\VBoxSrv is empty), it works fine if you downgrade to 4.3.20 (even in place).
- Guests that it fails: 2000, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 (b9841 and b9926), pretty much every Win guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I agree with socratis. There are some issues with shared folders. In my Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 guests, \\VBoxSrv is empty but I do have an E: drive which is the shared folder. The contents are there and I can access them but the drive is listed as "Disconnected Network Drive".

Shared Folder settings are Auto-Mount, Permanent.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if I remove the shared folder from the guests, the E: drive remains in the Windows guests and is still labeled "Disconnected Network Drive". And I don't know how to get rid of it. If I try and disconnect it, I get an error dialog saying it doesn't exit.

From my 8.1 guest. W7 and W10 look the same.
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 7.33.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 7.33.14 AM.png (124.85 KiB) Viewed 38614 times
Re-Edit: repaired W7 and W8.1 shared folders by removing the folders while the guests were open. Restarted the guests. Rolled back to the 4.3.20 GAs. Re-added the shared folders.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

loukingjr wrote:if I remove the shared folder from the guests, the E: drive remains in the Windows guests and is still labeled "Disconnected Network Drive". And I don't know how to get rid of it. If I try and disconnect it, I get an error dialog saying it doesn't exist.
I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

ChipMcK wrote:
loukingjr wrote:if I remove the shared folder from the guests, the E: drive remains in the Windows guests and is still labeled "Disconnected Network Drive". And I don't know how to get rid of it. If I try and disconnect it, I get an error dialog saying it doesn't exist.
I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO
some of us don't use Windows much. :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ChipMcK wrote:I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO
Actually, it's not that easy sometimes. Once a network share is "disconnected" people have to ultimately go to the registry to "kill" it. And it has nothing to do with VirtualBox. I've been researching it all morning. Take a look: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... sconnected
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

socratis wrote:
ChipMcK wrote:I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO
Actually, it's not that easy sometimes. Once a network share is "disconnected" people have to ultimately go to the registry to "kill" it. And it has nothing to do with VirtualBox. I've been researching it all morning. Take a look: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... sconnected
There is also a way to do it by creating a share folder (not VB shared folder) in Windows and go through some rig-a-ma roll which I forget already. :o
ChipMcK
Volunteer

Post by ChipMcK »

socratis wrote:- Shared folders is seriously broken across all Windows guests.
- My shared folder is setup as: read-only, not auto-mount, permanent.
- In the guest, you could go to Explorer, Network, and browse to \\VBoxSvr\SharedFolder.
- This fails with GAs 4.3.22 (\\VBoxSrv is empty), it works fine if you downgrade to 4.3.20 (even in place).
- Guests that it fails: 2000, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 (b9841 and b9926), pretty much every Win guest.
Until I installed the current GAs, the network was not viewable.
After Guest Additions install, normal processing IMHO
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

ChipMcK wrote: Until I installed the current GAs, the network was not viewable.
After Guest Additions install, normal processing IMHO
Seems odd I had working shared folders in W7 and W8.1 guests before I installed the new GAs but once I did socratis and I both had the same problem.

So did this user…
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66094
ChipMcK
Volunteer

Post by ChipMcK »

loukingjr wrote:Seems odd I had working shared folders in W7 and W8.1 guests before I installed the new GAs but once I did socratis and I both had the same problem.

So did this user…
Been using the VM for years, under VMWare Fusion and then VBox v3.x. Normal VBox release upgrade (i do delete previous before install) process was normal.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

ChipMcK wrote:
loukingjr wrote:Seems odd I had working shared folders in W7 and W8.1 guests before I installed the new GAs but once I did socratis and I both had the same problem.

So did this user…
Been using the VM for years, under VMWare Fusion and then VBox v3.x. Normal VBox release upgrade (i do delete previous before install) process was normal.
I uninstall before I upgrade VB as well. What I don't do is uninstall the guest additions first. I just tried an XP guest and I get the same problem.

Edit: deleted the 4.3.20 GAs from my Windows 7 guest before I installed the 4.3.22 GAs. Same problem.

I don't think it's a coincidence that whatever changes were made to the 4.3.22 GAs to improve W10 support cause all Windows guests to list shared folders as a "Disconnected Network Drive".
ChipMcK
Volunteer

Post by ChipMcK »

Set up new Shared Folder for the VM without Auto-Mount
Started up the VM
Cant view the new Network Share
Shut down the VM
Updated Shared Folder to include Auto-Mount
Started up the VM
The new Network Share assigned to first available drive
On restart of VM, this Network Share listed as Disconnected Network Drive. All folders and files show for it. IF try to disconnect , not found.

Differences:
  • Pre-existing Network Shares not auto-mount
  • Auto-Mount Network Shares