Installing Version 4.3.22 Broke My System

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bob_Rjp

Installing Version 4.3.22 Broke My System

Post by Bob_Rjp »

Hi,

I have v4.3.20-96997 running on Windows 8.1 Pro with a couple of windows guests. When I opened VirtualBox yesteday (13/2) and saw the prompt to say that version 4.3.22 was available I downloaded and installed it.

The installation appeared to go through just fine. I installed the extension pack, no problem. Loaded up my Windows XP guest and installed guest additions - worked OK. Then tried to use firefox from the guest - which failed as it said there was no internet connection. Then tried to use firefox on my Windows 8.1 desktop - found the internet connection wasnt working there either. Thought that I would try re-booting. Big mistake. On the logon screen the network icon in the bottom left hand corner had a silver circle over it and the machine just hung - and I couldnt logon. Tried several times, same result. Im guessing that the network stack got messed up somehow as a result of the installation. But cant post any logs or anything as I couldnt get at them.

Have restored my system by restoring a copy of the windows partition that just luckily I had taken the day before.

Confess I am somewhat reluctant to try it again !!.

Anyone else had this problem ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing Version 4.3.22 Broke My System

Post by socratis »

Bob_Rjp wrote:and I couldnt logon
Even in the case that somehow your network settings got messed up, why you couldn't logon? That doesn't make any sense. Have you tried to chkdsk your host HD?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bob_Rjp

Post by Bob_Rjp »

I couldnt logon because the system was hung / dead / not responding.

I could have booted another operating system and run chkdsk on the windows partition, but I dont think it was disk integrity that was lost rather it was the network stack that had been corrupted, and I dont think that running chkdsk would have done anything useful to sort that out.
JackS

Post by JackS »

I ran into the same issue. I did an upgrade from 4.3.20 to 4.3.22 which appeared to go without a hitch. Then proceeded to also install the guest additions, also no issues there on first glance. Upon a reboot of the host environment (windows 8.1, 64-bit) I was able to login, and the Tiles show up. However, when moving on to the Desktop, it kept spinning, and I wasn't even able to start any new tasks, like Task Manager. It looked like it was stuck on some processing which eventually resulted in a crash of windows itself.

After much trial-and error, finally was able to boot back into safe mode and uninstalled virtualbox entirely, including cleaning up the files related to the network stack. On the next reboot, windows came back just fine.

I now tried a clean install of 4.3.22 (as clean as I can think of, after removing all pertinent files, registry entries that I know of). Installation went without warning. Attached the VM, and it worked fine (still had the guest additions installed on it from the previous attempt). Again rebooting the host system, the network disappeared entirely, but windows did not hang this time. In the device manager all network adapters (virtual and physical) show as working properly, but in the networking center, no adapter was found). When disabling the Virtual Host adapter, the networking started to work fine...

Should I go back to 4.3.20, which has a terrible graphics performance when opening multiple windows with pop-ups of some applications, or even further to 4.3.18.

I would post logs here if I knew which ones were relevant, the Virtualbox ones didn't show anything unusual ...

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please discuss the 4.3.22 release in the Discuss the 4.3.22 Release topic.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

I have a similar issue
Windows 7 host
Virtual box 4.3.22 r 98236
I have a windows 10 tech preview VM and 2 ubuntu VMs, one of which is running a tftp PXE boot system.

Until I did the upgrade to the latest version of VirtualBox earlier this week I was able to network boot the Windows 10 box and press F12 to network boot to test the pxe boot menus. Immediately after the upgrade I started the windows 10 box to continue testing but now when I press F12 and L for LAN boot I get "FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted." immediately, its not even like it times out.

I've tried setting up a new VM, no OS yet, and I get exactly the same so its not specific to the Windows 10 machine.

I can still network boot other real PCs on the physical network from the virtual ubuntu machine and I can still access the network and the internet from all machines so I know its not a complete network failure.

All my machines appear to be working fine, nothing has hung (yet).

Any ideas?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please see my previous post. Locking this one.