VBox crash with Win98SE guest on WinXP host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Liosan

VBox crash with Win98SE guest on WinXP host

Post by Liosan »

Hi everyone,

I spent some time looking through the forums for something similar, but most people don't have problems running win98, performance issues seem more common. Well, in my case I can't get it to start up at all.

If I try to run it in normal mode, I get an unhandled exception. My Visual Studio debugger prints out the following:

Unhandled exception at 0x02de8da3 in VirtualBox.exe: 0xC0000094: Integer division by zero.

I can provide a stack trace etc if you need one.

If, on the other hand, I try to run win98 in safe mode, it starts up fine, but no access to the floppy drive or CD-ROM is possible (which also seems like a bug, and makes the whole thing rather pointless).

If I start in command-line mode or from a pure DOS bootdisk, everything is fine.

The host system is Windows XP SP2. VBox version is 1.5.2.

Is there any known solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Szymon Kurek
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Please read the Forum Guide in the Using VB forum and update your post with the proper info. We now do not have enough info. Please include at least all the VM settings. If you have (more than) 512 RAM set, you might want to lower it.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Liosan

Post by Liosan »

As I was writing down the VBox settings for posting in the forum, I noticed that the graphic card memory was set to 32 MB. Setting it to 8 MB seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks anyway :)

Liosan