Problem printing to USB printer from VirtualBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MNHammer

Problem printing to USB printer from VirtualBox

Post by MNHammer »

I’m having problems printing from VirtualBox. The host is running Windows 7 (SP1) and VirtualBox - 4.3.20 r96997 is running Windows XP (SP3). I have installed the VirtualBox Extension Pack - 4.3.20-96996.

The reason that I installed VirtualBox was because Windows 7 did not support my Panasonic KX-P7100 laser printer. Hence I installed VirtualBox with Windows XP. I installed the USB print driver in Windows XP and the printer shows up under Printers and Faxes, and it is set as the default printer and lists it as ready. Under properties for the printer the Ports tab lists the Port as KXPUSB, the Description as KX-P7100 GDI Port and the Printer as Panasonic KX-P7100. When I go to Devices on the top menu of VirtualBox and click on USB Devices, it lists my printer as Panasonic KX-P7100 [0100], but when I hover the mouse pointer over the USB icon at the bottom of the VirtualBox window, it says “No USB device attached”. Whenever I try to print from the Windows XP / VirtualBox it pops a warning window saying “Device is not ready or printer is busy. Do you want to wait?”

I figure that it a setting problem somewhere in VirtualBox, but I have not been able to figure it out. Any suggestions on just what the problem might be will be greatly appreciated.

Please note that I do not have an internet connection at home, which creates a problem with me getting online on a regular basis. So please keep this in mind, as it prevents me from responding in a timely manner.

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions that you might have.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problem printing to USB printer from VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

Shut down the VM and create a USB filter to match the printer. It's possible that the printer presents as more than one device (i.e. the printer includes a USB hub), so you may need more than one filter.

There is some generic advice here on getting a USB device working in any VM under a Windows host.

A blunt warning: VMs are intended for virtual hardware, not real hardware. Hence the name "VM". You are on a shaky footing if you depend on a VM to work reliably with real hardware. If you are very lucky, it works. If it doesn't work then IMHO that's no real surprise.
MNHammer

Post by MNHammer »

Thanks for the reply, like I said, I don’t have easy or regular access to the internet, so it takes me awhile to respond.

I was able to finally figure it out on my own by playing with it. I went under the Settings menu and selected the USB settings, I then added a new USB filter using the top choice which installs it with all the fields initially set to empty strings.

When I started the OS up, it found the printer and let me reinstall the driver for it. It is working fine now.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Don't leave the USB filter blank - that just means it will randomly grab the first USB device it finds, hence is sure to do the wrong thing soon. Add the minimum number of fields needed to ensure certainty in device selection.
Astrogirl

Post by Astrogirl »

Hi can't a printer just be shared via networking in Xp guest (add printer wizard and find network printer?)- I have windows 8.1 host or is the usb filter way better? Also if turn of internet in guest or use host only connection for better security -should network printer still work?

Also if using usb filter way does this mean only guest can use printer when it is manually connected to it and then have to disconnect manually for host to use it while running the VM? Is there way to make it connect automatically when needed only and then have it set back for the host automatically? This would be easier for non admin users like children using the VM who wont have to be fiddling with connecting and disconnecting host printers etc.

Also would be good to disable host mouse or other external usb hard drives (like one VDI is running from) from being accidentally connected to guest. Mouse works properly via the guest additions automatically and does not need connecting - I once connected it in error and whole system got hung for a time as could not use it in host. Kids play around as well and would be good to be able to restrict these things in some way. My XP VM is mainly for kids to use older XP and 98 educational and game software I don't really want to install on newer windows, plus it is a lot of stuff to reinstall. Should I post this in another topic?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Astrogirl wrote:Should I post this in another topic?
Yes, that would be a great idea. One topic per post. Think of the question in the title and post accordingly.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Astrogirl wrote:Hi can't a printer just be shared via networking in Xp guest (add printer wizard and find network printer?)- I have windows 8.1 host or is the usb filter way better?
In fact the network share method is way better, then the VM would be using a network protocol instead of trying to talk to real hardware - which as I said above, puts you on a shaky footing.

However, AFAIK a host can only share printers it owns, and if you read what the OP said: he said that this printer cannot be used directly on his host.
Astrogirl

Post by Astrogirl »

thanks for reply - yes I think network method better.