Wireless Network Adapter USB won't be recognized in Kali??

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bigZigZag

Wireless Network Adapter USB won't be recognized in Kali??

Post by bigZigZag »

I installed Kali Linux x64 as a guest on my host Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 in VirtualBox and I am attempting to setup a wireless connection for WiFi using a Linksys Wireless ACDual Band AC1200 USB Adapter. I have the drivers for the adapter installed on my host and have the USB section of my "Setting" for Kali Linux in VirtualBox enabled and I added my adapter to the list of USB devices. However, almost immediately after I begin to boot Kali my USB adapter turns off and the icons for it go away and then it will only turn back on when I shutdown the virtual machine. So, when I am running the virtual machine it is not recognizing there being any USB connected and I am unable to connect to my network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Wireless Network Adapter USB won't be recognized in Kali

Post by Perryg »

All USB devices are a one-to-one connection. If you have the guest set to capture the device it will be removed from the host and then you configure the device to be used with the guest.
The host will not be able to use the device until you shut the guest down or release it from the guest in the device settings.
bigZigZag

Post by bigZigZag »

Does this mean that I need to install the drivers for the device in Kali?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Using a USB adapter in the guest makes it a guest issue, so yes I would think that you should ask the kali folks what to do. That is assuming that the guest is actually using the device. If it sees it then you should be able to configure it.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

I've never used a USB NIC (or normal NIC either) on a GUEST OS. I always use them on the HOST and simply bind the GUEST'S virtual adapter to the HOST'S physical NIC in the NETWORK settings of the guest.

Is there a reason you need to use the NIC directly in the guest and not via the host?
bigZigZag

Post by bigZigZag »

Rootman wrote:I've never used a USB NIC (or normal NIC either) on a GUEST OS. I always use them on the HOST and simply bind the GUEST'S virtual adapter to the HOST'S physical NIC in the NETWORK settings of the guest.

Is there a reason you need to use the NIC directly in the guest and not via the host?
How do you bind the virtual adapters with the to the USB? I also tried to go to the Settings > Network (in VirtualBox) and enabled the adapter for a bridged connection to my USB device and the same thing is happening.

When I right-click on the USB device on the bottom right-hand corner after Kali boots and I'm logged on, I see the name of my USB but when I click it this message comes up:

"Failed to attach the USB device Linksys WUSB6300 to the virtual machine Kali Linux.

USB device 'Linksys WUSB6300' with UUID {466614df-7acc-4879-b582-63e43cdfd1b2} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}"

And when I use ifconfig or iwconfig in terminal, I get no wlan0 options, there is no wireless device detected.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The guest will never see a wireless adapter unless it is USB and dedicated to the guest.

If you remove the USB filter for it and then select wlan in the guest setting kali will see an ethernet adapter and not a wireless one.

So why are you running kali? is it for wireless penetration or just because you thought it was neat?
bigZigZag

Post by bigZigZag »

Can I get a clear answer on how to fix the problem? I have been extremely clear and thorough in explaining exactly what is wrong. If you do not know, then that's fine but tell me so I can go somewhere that has people that do know.

And not that it's relevant but I am using it for wireless pen testing.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Configure the host to use the NIC, not the guest. Disable USB in the guest, but enable NAT networking.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yeah well kali wants a wireless device so that isn't going to work for what the OP wants to do Don. That said their insults give me little incentive to help further. I'll leave it to you or someone else.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Oh, I see. In that case you already gave the answer anyway.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

<several pointless debate messages deleted>

Try to stay on track folks.
allwood

Post by allwood »

I have a TP-Link TL-WN722N Wireless USB adapter which uses the Atheros chipset. I've managed to get it working fairly consistently from a fresh install by following this procedure:

- With the guest OS shut down, open up the guest settings and Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller on the USB tab
- Insert your wireless USB adapter and create a USB filter
- On the network tab, DISABLE network adapters
- Power on guest OS and log in
- Insert USB adapter

At this point VirtualBox should grab the adapter and a red dot should appear on the USB icon on the bottom of the window, and the guest OS should detect the adapter as though it's directly connected. I was having similar problems, but once I disabled the network adapters it seemed to solve the problem.
FernanDK

Post by FernanDK »

allwood wrote:I have a TP-Link TL-WN722N Wireless USB adapter which uses the Atheros chipset. I've managed to get it working fairly consistently from a fresh install by following this procedure:

- With the guest OS shut down, open up the guest settings and Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller on the USB tab
- Insert your wireless USB adapter and create a USB filter
- On the network tab, DISABLE network adapters
- Power on guest OS and log in
- Insert USB adapter

At this point VirtualBox should grab the adapter and a red dot should appear on the USB icon on the bottom of the window, and the guest OS should detect the adapter as though it's directly connected. I was having similar problems, but once I disabled the network adapters it seemed to solve the problem.
your information was of very much use. I was having the same issue as you and the OP. I completed your instructions step by step yet my usb network adapter was still NOT being recognized by the guest OS, coincidentally enough my device is the same exact model as yours, TL-WN722N.

later I discovered that my device wasn't being recognized correctly because I was using an usb extension, plugging the device directly into the port fixed the problem.
IThdRyan

Post by IThdRyan »

Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this post but I too am having exactly the same issue and thought it would be better to continue on this rather than create a new thread.

I've tried all of the mentioned above suggestions and as helpful as they are, it hasn't resolved the issue.

Brief outline:

Using Windows 10 host with VirtualBox to hold a Kali Linux guest

I want to pass through a Edimax USB Wifi adapter to the guest so I can use it for WiFi cracking etc etc.

I've had issues trying to bridge the connection, the VM just won't start. So runs on NAT and I get internet access on the guest no problem.

I've installed the drivers for the adapter on both the host and guest

I've tried all the above suggestions in the thread to no avail.

The USB adapter works fine on the host

I've installed the Virtualbox additional packages, enabled USB 2, ensured it was sat in a USB 2.0 port, created a filter, pulled the adapter, booted VM then once logged in - plugged in the adapter but the USB part of the VM doesn't pick it up. It does however take it out of the host so it must be recognising it somewhere. When I then click on the USB passer and select the device to load it errors.

When I run an ifconfig there's no wlan0

iwconfig produces nothing either

Loosing my mind on this really, please someone... help... before I throw it out the window :) Thanks in advance.