Discuss the 4.3.20 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
swordfish
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Mint Debian Edition

Re: Discuss the 4.3.20 release

Post by swordfish »

Frank Mehnert wrote:
swordfish wrote:I run LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) as a 32 bit guest on a 32 bit Windows 7 host. I am running VBox 4.3.12. This morning I tried to upgrade to 4.3.20, but 4.3.20 was unable to run my guest. It would go through the loading process and at the end it would die with V_ERR_MAP. I have now retreated to the safety of 4.3.12, which still works.
Actually that doesn't sound like the typical problems due to Windows hardening. I would be interested in the VBox.log as well as VBoxStartup.log file.
Here's a log showing the V_ERR_MAP error.

HTH
 Edit: Added bzipped VBoxStartup.log as well 
Attachments
VBoxStartup.log.bz2
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
VBox.log
(92.23 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Duanehebert wrote: My startup log has only errors related to wintab32.dll:

13d8.c54: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: error opening 'C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll': 0 (NtPath=\??\C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll; Input=C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll)
Yes, that is a typical hardening-related error message. Google tells me that "WinTab32.dll" is a Wacom tablet input DLL, hence it's a 3rd party DLL injecting itself into the VM address space, precisely what the hardening features take exception to.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

swordfish wrote:Here's a log showing the V_ERR_MAP error.
Your VM is failing to restore a saved state, presumably from a previous version of VBox. This is a risk you take when you upgrade the software while some VMs are in a suspended state.

I suggest that you right click VM and "Discard saved state".
swordfish
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Mint Debian Edition

Post by swordfish »

mpack wrote:
swordfish wrote:Here's a log showing the V_ERR_MAP error.
Your VM is failing to restore a saved state, presumably from a previous version of VBox. This is a risk you take when you upgrade the software while some VMs are in a suspended state.

I suggest that you right click VM and "Discard saved state".
I don't feel that an upgrade is that urgent. I'll upgrade next time I need to restart the VM.
Duanehebert

Post by Duanehebert »

mpack wrote:
Duanehebert wrote: My startup log has only errors related to wintab32.dll:

13d8.c54: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: error opening 'C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll': 0 (NtPath=\??\C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll; Input=C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll)
Yes, that is a typical hardening-related error message. Google tells me that "WinTab32.dll" is a Wacom tablet input DLL, hence it's a 3rd party DLL injecting itself into the VM address space, precisely what the hardening features take exception to.
Thanks. The strange thing is that this file doesn't exist on my system. Does this mean that my Linux guests are trying to load it and it doesn't exist?

I'm not using any Wacom tablets that I know of. My pointing device is listed as usb tablet. The choices are PS/2 mouse or usb tablet. This is the only reference to a tablet that I can see.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Duanehebert wrote:Thanks. The strange thing is that this file doesn't exist on my system.
It must exist: VirtualBox is finding it inside the VM process. The path to the file is there in the error message. Obviously it won't be visible if you have Windows configured to hide system files.
Duanehebert wrote:Does this mean that my Linux guests
This has nothing to do with the guest. The process being discussed is the VirtualBox process that runs on host, i.e. the VM itself.
Duanehebert

Post by Duanehebert »

mpack wrote:
Duanehebert wrote:Thanks. The strange thing is that this file doesn't exist on my system.
It must exist: VirtualBox is finding it inside the VM process. The path to the file is there in the error message. Obviously it won't be visible if you have Windows configured to hide system files.
I guarantee you that this file does not exist on my system, specifically not in C:/Windows/System32. I do not have windows configured to hide system files. I've attached a zipped txt dump of the contents of my c:/windows/system32 folder.

It looks like you're using Qt. ISTR an issue with QtCore having a link to wintab32.dll at some point though I think that was something to do with the MinGW compiler. Not sure if this has any relevance here.
mpack wrote:[
Duanehebert wrote:Does this mean that my Linux guests
This has nothing to do with the guest. The process being discussed is the VirtualBox process that runs on host, i.e. the VM itself.
Ok, I was wondering because the error happens when I launch the guest.
Attachments
spoo.zip
(35.06 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

Duanehebert wrote:I guarantee you that this file does not exist on my system, specifically not in C:/Windows/System32. I do not have windows configured to hide system files. I've attached a zipped txt dump of the contents of my c:/windows/system32 folder.
I believe in your registry is some entry left, so it tries to inject a dll which isn't there.
Duanehebert

Post by Duanehebert »

JayEm wrote:
Duanehebert wrote:I guarantee you that this file does not exist on my system, specifically not in C:/Windows/System32. I do not have windows configured to hide system files. I've attached a zipped txt dump of the contents of my c:/windows/system32 folder.
I believe in your registry is some entry left, so it tries to inject a dll which isn't there.
This is possible but I search the registry for wintab and there are no hits.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

In that case it would be best if posted about your problem in the security discussion (in Windows Hosts), and this time include the complete information requested in the first post of that topic (including a complete startup log, zipped).
Duanehebert

Post by Duanehebert »

mpack wrote:In that case it would be best if posted about your problem in the security discussion (in Windows Hosts), and this time include the complete information requested in the first post of that topic (including a complete startup log, zipped).

It's there. After I posted, you posted a general message to several people that their problem wasn't security related and they should post here. So I wasn't sure.

As an aside, I installed a wintab32.dll and tried a reinstall. When I did that, the error was different:

d9c.b10: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cache hit (Unknown Status -22900 (0xffffa68c)) on \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Wintab32.DLL
d9c.b10: Error (rc=0):
d9c.b10: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached rc=Unknown Status -22900 (0xffffa68c) fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Wintab32.DLL
d9c.b10: Error (rc=0):
d9c.b10: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll' (C:\Windows\system32\wintab32.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190

So it looks like the initial error is that it can't find the dll. This time it finds it but rejects it. Hopefully this will be useful for you. I'll revert to 4.3.12 again. I'm out of time for this.

Thanks for your assistance.
redenegue

Post by redenegue »

I just installed the latest upgrade and the extensions.
Now I can open NO session.
The version: VirtualBox-4.3.20-96997-Win.exe
The error: Unable to load R3 module

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxDD.DDL

The file exists in the correct location.
I notice that there is a forward slash. Could that be the problem?

*** Added Log File ***
VBox.log
requested log
(87.21 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Last edited by redenegue on 2. Dec 2014, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

redenegue wrote:I just installed the latest upgrade and the extensions.
Now I can open NO session.
The version: VirtualBox-4.3.20-96997-Win.exe
The error: Unable to load R3 module

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxDD.DDL

The file exists in the correct location.
I notice that there is a forward slash. Could that be the problem?
Please attach the VBox.log file of one of the failing VM session.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

Hi swordfish,
swordfish wrote:
Frank Mehnert wrote:
swordfish wrote:I run LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) as a 32 bit guest on a 32 bit Windows 7 host. I am running VBox 4.3.12. This morning I tried to upgrade to 4.3.20, but 4.3.20 was unable to run my guest. It would go through the loading process and at the end it would die with V_ERR_MAP. I have now retreated to the safety of 4.3.12, which still works.
Actually that doesn't sound like the typical problems due to Windows hardening. I would be interested in the VBox.log as well as VBoxStartup.log file.
Here's a log showing the VERR_MAP_FAILED error.

HTH
The VBox.log file shows that when VBox tries to load the saved state of the saved VM session, it was not able to allocate pages. Please be aware that the address space on 32-bit Windows is limited: By default 2GB are available for userland and 2GB are available for the kernel. So even if you had 8GB available on your host, your VM could never use more than 2GB RAM. And even not the complete 2GB address space is available for allocating guest RAM as several libraries need to be mapped as well.

You have assigned 1750MB to your VM. That value is very high, not only regarding the limited 2G address space but also regarding the amount of host RAM (3,5GB). I don't know if you will be able to restore your saved state. It might help to try to try this on a freshly booted host, then make sure no applications run (also check which applications started automatically!) and then try to start your VM. If that works, shut down your guest and immediately decrease the amount of RAM associated to the VM. Decrease it to 1500 MB or better a bit less.

I doubt that this is really a 4.3.20 regression, except that VirtualBox 4.3.20 might have slightly more code and occupies slightly more RAM than older versions. As you used a RAM size very tight to the limits, small changes can have such consequences.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

swordfish wrote:
Frank Mehnert wrote:
Here's a log showing the VERR_MAP_FAILED error.

HTH
 Edit: Added bzipped VBoxStartup.log as well