Issues with the Yosemite 10.10.1 Update in VirtualBox 4.3.18

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
IOOI
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OPENSTEP, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Windows

Issues with the Yosemite 10.10.1 Update in VirtualBox 4.3.18

Post by IOOI »

The good news:

- I could install the 10.10.1 Update using the App Store app over my existing 10.10 installation.

The bad news:

- This took much longer than expected, the updater said it would take 7 minutes, in the end it took me over two hours!
- The log in after the update took me about 15 minutes after entering the password.
- After this I rebooted and now the log in never finished. After waiting 45 minutes after entering the password I did a reset and changed the configuration as follows:
  • - more RAM: up to 3456 MB of RAM from 2048 MB of RAM
    - more cores: up to two cores from one core
    - less VRAM: down to 32 MB of VRAM from 128 MB (I had to do this because of https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13211
    - 3D acceleration turned of
Now I get the login process at least that far: Image

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

cheers,

IOOI
StephV

Re: Issues with the Yosemite 10.10.1 Update in VirtualBox 4.

Post by StephV »

I get the same result. Host is iMac 21.5", Late 2012, Yosemite 10.10.1. Guest is running 10.10.1 (well, in a loose definition of the word "running"), upgraded from 10.10. Tried both from OS Update as well as from the Install Yosemite install app.

Going to try a clean install in a VM next.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OSX guests in general are pretty slow, mostly because of the lack of 3D acceleration (no guest additions available). Since 10.10 relies heavily on 3D, even for its toolbars(!), it is running slower than molasses in the winter. In fact, it is by far the slowest guest OS I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot of them...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
StephV

Post by StephV »

I sat and sat and gave up after 15 minutes. Shouldn't take that long to login. I tried re-installing 10.10.1 on a blank VM from a clean install and that VM is fine. Something's weird upgrading from 10.10 to 10.10.1 on the same VM, whether it's doing a simple update from the OS, or running the full OS Install app.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

StephV wrote:I sat and sat and gave up after 15 minutes. Shouldn't take that long to login. I tried re-installing 10.10.1 on a blank VM from a clean install and that VM is fine. Something's weird upgrading from 10.10 to 10.10.1 on the same VM, whether it's doing a simple update from the OS, or running the full OS Install app.
I installed 10.10 as a guest then tried updating it when 10.10.1 was released. It failed. I also installed a clean 10.10.1 in a new VM but I would hardly call it "fine". :)

In June I had installed the developer's preview of 10.10 on a Mavericks host and it ran much quicker. I don't know if a 10.10.1 guest is so much slower because I'm now running 10.10.1 hosts or because of VB 4.3.18. I'm not rolling back VB to find out.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.