WfW 3.11 VM with Win XP host networking (shared folders)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

WfW 3.11 VM with Win XP host networking (shared folders)

Post by ghr »

Set up a WfW 3.11 VM with Win XP host networking (shared folders)

Here are some hints on how to set up a WfW (Windows for Workgroups) 3.11 machine for networking using the Microsoft TCPIP32 stack. I used version 3.11b of this stack.

See my earlier post on setting up a WfW 3.11 VM with network and browser: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=859. Here differences will be detailed between TCPIP configuration for guest/host networking (file sharing) and internet browsing.

Some general remarks:
- be sure to make host and guest part of the same Windows network.
- enable file sharing on host and guest.
- for all the functionality below only TCPIP is needed.

TCPIP setup for browsing the Internet

Via Network > Network Setup: > Drivers : select TCPIP and click Setup. The following values can be used:
- IP address 10.0.2.15
- subnet 255.255.255.0
- gateway 10.0.2.2

and add DNS:

TCPIP setup for guest/host networking

Via Network > Network Setup: > Drivers : select TCPIP and click Setup.
The following values can be used:
- IP address 192.168.0.2
- subnet 255.255.255.0
- gateway empty

and remove DNS if any.

In my case I had to shut down the firewall.

Note that you must use WfW 3.11 File Manager to set up sharing (i.e. sharing portions of the guest disk... and connecting a network drive, e.g. the disk of the host).

Finally, some items NOT needed:
- you can leave the password for WfW access empty
- there's no need to install WFWFILES.EXE (but it didn't hurt either).
- there's no need to remove the NetBEUI or IPX/SPX over NetBiOS protocols but they are not needed either (just TCPIP will do).
Ton Lindemann
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: MS-Dos 3.3; 4.01; 5.0; 6.22; WfW3.11; W95; W98; W2k

Re: WfW 3.11 VM with Win XP host networking (shared folders)

Post by Ton Lindemann »

Hello,

I'm only interested to a guest/host networking for foldersharing between WfW-3.11 and Win-XP-Pro. I've tried the setup given in the hints, but it doesn't work. I would like to explain what I tried so far to get a network between both machines, where WfW-3.11 is the guest on a Win-XP host using version 3.1.6 of VirtualBox. Both Windows versions are Dutch, so naming of Windows, popups and messages are translations from the Dutch version to English. There might be some differences between the screen messages to other languages.

I used also the official MS manual: Windows for Workgroups & MS-DOS for aditional information.

First, I've installed the TCP/IP32 3.11b in WfW, but don't use the Trumpet version as mentoined in topic 859. I can get access only to the internet when I set the TCP/IP configuration to "enable automatic DHCP configuration". Use of given settings for TCPIP-setup for browsing the internet doesn't work, but when I use "ipconfig" at the prompt I do get the same IP-adress and subset as the values in the TCPIP setup above.

General networksetting in VirtualBox is is set to NAT. Other options as Guest/Host only is not available, because I have to set a name and this option is emtpy. The adapter is set for PCNet-FAST III, I tried also FAST II, without success. Networkadapter set in WFW is: Advanced Micro Devices PCNet-Fast family (NDIS2/NDIS3)

Now I've changed the settings for TCP/IP setup for guest/host networking exactly as given there in the preferences. I've setup a sharename and a directory in the file manager in WfW and also on the host. On the guest: after setup of TCP/IP32 3.11b the filesharing option in Network setup -> sharing is enabled. I've also set a shared directory on the guest.

I'm using on the host my full E-drive for file sharing and the sharename set by Win XP is "Netwerk (e)" The name "Netwerk" is name I give, but " (e)" is added by Win-XP. Note the space! I can't remove that space! And far as I know doesn't support WfW spaces in filenames, so is there any suggestion how to handle this if this might be the source of the trouble?

I'm using in WfW and Win-XP the same name for the workgroup, and this is "Thuis". On Win-XP; Explorer -> Network -> Full Network -> Microsoft Windows Network, I do see all the contected computers to this network, including the VM-WfW (MS-Dos_WfW). But I can't it get connected. The error message I got is:

\\Ms-Dos_WfW not accessable. You don't have probability not the correct rights to access this networksource. Please contact the manager of this server to confirm if you have right access rights for this server.

Unable to find networkpath.

In WfW the host is not available at all on Drive -> connect networkdrive.

I've also tried to use the former netBEUI (installed on XP), but that doesn't work too. Same error message. Turning off the firewall doesn't help too. Has anyone any clue?

Thanks for help,

Cheers.
ghr
Volunteer

Post by ghr »

Hi Ton, if all you want to do is file transfer: please check out the VirtualBox Manual on host-only networking (in Chapter Virtual Networking - at least for VB 3.12). If I read your post correctly: there's no host-interface in your case...
Ton Lindemann

Post by Ton Lindemann »

GHR,

That's exactly the point. I don't see any new interface for <host-only> on my XP-host in the existing network interfaces. That would be to easy..... :-(. I've tried to select the existing interfaces/connections on the host to see if the <name => in VB settings would give this as a choise, but without success. I started with the name of the virtual machine wich appears on list of connected computers in my workgroup. As told before; clicking on the name of this VM-name on the host results in a time out error that this computer can't be found, even if it is running in VB. There is nothing to select in the selectorbar <name => below the <adaptor attached to> pull-down menu. This is empty: <name = not selected> without any choise. Also with the bridged option. A message in red says: On the Network Adapter: 1 page, no host-only adapter is selected.
I tried various ways: select any relevant connection (e.g. name of the VM which exist) on the host; then start networksettings in VB. Start VB fresh with the selected VM name on the host; then start networksettings. And run the VM in VB first, shut it down; then start networksettings with the selected VM on the host. But it doesn't work. Even after shut down of the firewall.

I've tried also to create a new network on the host for a connection with VB, but that's wasn't an option too. A do have only one network connection on the host and that's a LAN based on an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernetcontroller.

For this reason I tried your options, but without any success so far. Maybe I missed something to setup a host-only network, or with your options; but can't find out what and way is going wrong. I can't imaging that I have to switch off the networkoptions or disconnect the networkcard in WfW before to get <host-only> at work, but I can imaging that this could be the reason for all the trouble if any conflicts are comming up between <host-only> in VB and WfW and/or with the host. If anybody has a clue, than please.

Cheers,

Ton Lindemann
Ton Lindemann

Post by Ton Lindemann »

GHR,

I found the problem. Within VB I had to set <File -> Preferences -> Network> first to create an host-only adapter. I missed it somehow/somewhere. But I have access now to my shared folders on host and guest. Thanks anyway for input.

Cheers,

Ton Lindemann
ghr
Volunteer

Post by ghr »

Fine :)