Windows 7 SMP guest hangs on reboot

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
skoehler

Windows 7 SMP guest hangs on reboot

Post by skoehler »

As soon as I enable 2 processors or more, my 32Bit Windows 7 guest hangs on a reboot. It did so during the installation of Windows 7 (I'm using a Windows 7 SP1 x86 iso) and it does so afterwards. When reducing the number of CPUs to 1 (and disabling IO-APIC), everything is fine. The guest is pretty much a standard configuration as creates by the new virtual machine wizard, I was just changing the number of CPUs.

This is on a Linux 3.16.5 host with an Intel graphics card. The CPU is a i7 4700HQ.

This is quite annoying. I have a quadcore CPU, and I can only use one core for my guest.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 7 SMP guest hangs on reboot

Post by socratis »

I can report the same behavior on a MacBook Pro with 10.6.8. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64104&p=301457#p301457 . It was filed after your post, but it's more appropriate to continue the discussion there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
skoehler

Post by skoehler »

I should mention that I had the problem with 4.3.18 and 4.3.16. It's built from source on Gentoo (gcc 4.7).
I also tried the ICH9 chipset. Things didn't change.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Thanks for the report, fixed in SVN and the fix should be available in the next maintenance version.
Oracle Corp.
skoehler

Post by skoehler »

Ramshankar wrote:Thanks for the report, fixed in SVN and the fix should be available in the next maintenance version.
Which commit is it? I'm looking at the commit history of http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/ and there has only been one commit today which seems to be keyboard related.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

They still need to update the public SVN for the commit to show.
skoehler

Post by skoehler »

Perryg wrote:They still need to update the public SVN for the commit to show.
Good. I'll wait.
Where would I find the 4.3.x branch? I only see trunk.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Same thing.
skoehler

Post by skoehler »

Thanks for the patch (did you click the edit button instead of the quote button?). I'll test it. I'm recompiling virtualbox right now. No need to provide a test build.

Update: Yep, the patch fixes the problem for me.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

skoehler wrote:Thanks for the patch (did you click the edit button instead of the quote button?). I'll test it. I'm recompiling virtualbox right now. No need to provide a test build.

Update: Yep, the patch fixes the problem for me.
Yes, I clicked the edit button by mistake. Sorry about that.

Edit update here:
OSE is trunk only. The way for getting branch sources is to get the tarball but we release that usually only during the time of the release.

Also, the problem in trunk has been fixed a long time ago with a different codepath being taken, i.e. trunk has event injection and task-switch implementation in IEM and is handled that way. The fix for 4.3 branch was to fall back to the recompiler. If you're interested here is the diff for the 4.3 branch which makes it work:

Patch posted here:

Code: Select all

Index: branches/VBox-4.3/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR0/HMVMXR0.cpp
===================================================================
--- branches/VBox-4.3/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR0/HMVMXR0.cpp	(revision 96369)
+++ branches/VBox-4.3/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR0/HMVMXR0.cpp	(revision 96541)
@@ -10407,4 +10407,14 @@

Log4(("Pending event on TaskSwitch uIntType=%#x uVector=%#x\n", uIntType, uVector));
+                STAM_COUNTER_INC(&pVCpu->hm.s.StatExitTaskSwitch);
+
+                /*
+                 * emR3ExecuteInstruction() will call IEMExecOne() which doesn't honor TRPM events. We could implement
+                 * IEMInjectTrpmEvent() but since IEM task-switching isn't backported to 4.3 it would return
+                 * VERR_IEM_ASPECT_NOT_IMPLEMENTED. What we really want is to just inject the event and not even try
+                 * emulate the instruction at RIP. At the moment for 4.3, only REM does this, so fallback directly to
+                 * REM here. See @bugref{7445} comment #25.
+                 */
+                return VINF_EM_RESCHEDULE_REM;
             }
         }
I will see if we can provide a test build later today with the fix included.
Oracle Corp.