Discuss the 4.3.18 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 4.3.18 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 4.3.18 release here. See the changelog for details.

Hopefully makes many more Windows users happy again.
smithlar
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: WinXP32 WinXP64 Win7-32 Win7-64 openSUSE64 OS2 Win10

Re: Discuss the 4.3.18 release

Post by smithlar »

We're missing MD5 and SHA256 sums for Linux hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

It's a little late for me to ask this since I've been using VirtualBox for 5+ years but, what is the difference, if any, between Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18.vbox-extpack and Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18-46516.vbox-extpack? There are always two Extension Pack files and they both are the same size and both work. Just curious why there is always two.

TIA
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

Restoration of several snapshots now crash with this release. See attachments. No problems with earlier versions.
System: Windows 7 x64

EDIT: Added log files. This version doesn't work well at all, crashes with most of the snapshots on two different systems.

The error always occurs when 97% of the snapshot is restored.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(44.53 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Second error
Second error
Zwischenablage02.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 10422 times
First error
First error
Zwischenablage01.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 10422 times
Last edited by JayEm on 12. Oct 2014, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

I have also errors for some specific snapshots for some versions (old snapshots), see attachment.
Attachments
Zwischenablage03.jpg
Zwischenablage03.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

loukingjr wrote:It's a little late for me to ask this since I've been using VirtualBox for 5+ years but, what is the difference, if any, between Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18.vbox-extpack and Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18-46516.vbox-extpack? There are always two Extension Pack files and they both are the same size and both work. Just curious why there is always two.

TIA
The one called 4.3.18 is this version: VBOXADDITIONS_4.3.18_96516
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Quick report for vBox .18 on Win 7 64 SP1 with two guests: Ubuntu 12.04 64 and Ubuntu 14.04 64.

No problems and nothing unusual. I also tested restoring and deleting a couple of checkpoints and didn't run into the problem.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Papolytic wrote:
loukingjr wrote:It's a little late for me to ask this since I've been using VirtualBox for 5+ years but, what is the difference, if any, between Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18.vbox-extpack and Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18-46516.vbox-extpack? There are always two Extension Pack files and they both are the same size and both work. Just curious why there is always two.

TIA
The one called 4.3.18 is this version: VBOXADDITIONS_4.3.18_96516
I figured they were the same. I was wondering why there are always two.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Rather easy to explain: we started with a version-revision combination like we always used for package naming. Then it turned out that it's not terribly clever in this case, as the GUI can download extpack updates, and if it's a build from the public repository it uses different revisions. So such builds couldn't know the revision. So we introduced a symlink on the download server which doesn't have the revision part... the two are always identical.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

klaus wrote:
Rather easy to explain: we started with a version-revision combination like we always used for package naming. Then it turned out that it's not terribly clever in this case, as the GUI can download extpack updates, and if it's a build from the public repository it uses different revisions. So such builds couldn't know the revision. So we introduced a symlink on the download server which doesn't have the revision part... the two are always identical.
thanks klaus. I knew there had to be an explanation.
BrianG61UK
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, DOS, Linux

Post by BrianG61UK »

I run VirtualBox on a Windows 7 64 bit host system.
The problems I often have with restarting my Windows 7 32 bit guest VM are worse with VirtualBox 4.3.18.

I was able to get it all working with VirtualBox 4.3.17r96501.
But I seem to have to go into safe mode to install the guest additions and NOT let the installation program do a Restart after installation because it will fail but rather manually just shut down the guest. Then if I start the guest again and again shut down (not restart) once more, then generally after that I will be free to restart and it will work. However this doesn't seem to be 100% reproducible. I have to just keep shutting down rather than restarting until at some point I will discover that restarting now works.

When I say restarting fails it just freezes, using lots of host CPU power, either just saying Windows is shutting down on the screen or sometimes with a weird pattern of vertical lines.

However with 4.3.18 no amount of fiddling around seems to allow me to restart the Windows 7 32 bit guest.

Edit:
Actually I can't make it work with 4.3.17r96501 now.
This is really weird.
Last edited by BrianG61UK on 13. Oct 2014, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I can second that, actually triple it, because according to another post I was about to reply to, it seems that:
  • All SMP Windows guests cannot restart (I tried XP, 7, 8.1, 10). IO/APIC enabled (according to the linked post it helped, but I don't believe it matters).
  • Host can be any. The post above is Windows, the linked post is Linux and I'm on a Mac.
  • Guest additions or not doesn't matter. Tried before updating them, with the 4.3.18 ones and even uninstalled them completely. Same thing.
I'll open a bug report if necessary and post the appropriate logs.

UPDATE: I found bugs https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13470, https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13462 , https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13319 , but they mostly talk about Windows 10. In my case it's every Windows version that I have. And it started with 4.3.18, definitely was working before that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
skoehler

Post by skoehler »

My 32Bit WIndows 7 guest didn't reboot if and only if the number of CPUs is larger than 1, even when I was using 4.3.16. So it started before 4.3.18, definitely.
My full description of the problem can be found there: viewtopic.php?t=64135
Last edited by skoehler on 13. Oct 2014, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

socratis wrote:All SMP Windows guests cannot restart (I tried XP, 7, 8.1, 10). IO/APIC enabled (according to the linked post it helped, but I don't believe it matters).
Does this include 64-bit guests? Or did you only test 32-bit guests?
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

skoehler wrote:My 32Bit WIndows 7 guest didn't reboot if and only if the number of CPUs is larger than 1, even when I was using 4.3.16. So it started before 4.3.18, definitely.
My full description of the problem can be found there: viewtopic.php?t=64135
This is a regression and should be fixed in the next maintenance release. Thanks for the report.
Oracle Corp.