Issue with Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
wdes2009

Issue with Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions

Post by wdes2009 »

Hello, this is my first post! I've used linux a couple of times, but by no means I consider myself a savvy user.

I'm running VirtualBox 4.3.12r93733 on Windows 7 Professional. I installed Fedora 20 without any issues and I was trying to follow the directions to setup guest additions.

While running the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run script, I did not get an OK in: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules

The instructions on the site don't specify what to do in that scenario, it only mentions it's important to get that OK for that step.

It mentions to run this command lsmod | grep -i vbox which *should* show the following:

Code: Select all

vboxsf             43786  0 
vboxvideo        12658  1 
drm                 283349  2 vboxvideo
vboxguest       231692  8 vboxsf
And there's my problem because I only see vboxguest 235809 6 in mine when I run that command.

I do see that the resolution and the window size expanded, so that's good. But when I try to run the next step "5. Configure shared folders" it does not work for me. The command they want me to run is: sudo mount -t vboxsf enlightened ./vboxshared

The error message is: /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such file or directory

I did some research but couldn't find anything that lets me know exactly how to install the vboxsf module. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

WDes
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Issue with Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions

Post by Perryg »

Did you create the share in the shared folder wizard and did you call it enlightened ?
Does the mount point vboxshared exist in your home folder?
You probably need to express the path as shown below.
"~/vboxshared "

Also if you want to avoid specific permission issues I would add the options with your user id and group id
Example sudo mount -t vboxsf -o rw,uid=<your UID>,gid=<your GID> <share name> <mount point>

You can type id in a terminal and see what they are.
wdes2009

Post by wdes2009 »

Thanks for the quick reply, you led me one step closer to my solution!

Did you create the share in the shared folder wizard and did you call it enlightened ?
No, I don't believe so. I used the following set of instructions to create the share: Click on "Devices > Shared Folder Settings" in the Virtualbox window. Click the icon on right to add a new shared folder. Select the directory on your host system that is to be shared with the guest Fedora 20. Make sure to give a proper folder name, since it would be used to mount the directory inside Fedora. Check "Make Permanent" if you want shared folder setting persistent. Permanent shared folders are listed under Machine Folders, where as the non-permanent ones go under the Transient Folders list.

Does the mount point vboxshared exist in your home folder?
It didn't! I created it and then ran the command again: sudo mount -t vboxsf enlightened ./vboxshared and this time it's giving me this error message:

/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device

Not sure what to do?

WDes
wdes2009

Post by wdes2009 »

Someone from another forum mentioned they had the same problem and resolved by adding "modprobe vboxvfs on the Guest system."

This is why I believe I am experiencing this issue, since that I initially didn't get the [OK].

Does anyone know how I can add that?

Thanks,

WDes
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You have already proven that you have installed the guest additions. I would be hesitant to follow advise other than from here, but that is always up to you.

Yes if the mount point does not exist and you try to use it you will fail.
wdes2009

Post by wdes2009 »

Agreed, but would know how to troubleshoot: /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device ?

Thanks!

WDes
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yes post the results of VBoxManage showvminfo <guests name> from the hosts terminal
as well as the results of ls from the guests terminal while in your home folder
wdes2009

Post by wdes2009 »

vboxmanage showvminfo and showvminfo both say: command not found when I run them in the terminal

ls in my home directory drops the following folders: Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, Templaets, vboxshared, Documents, Music, Public, vboxcd, Videos

Thanks,

WDes
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

For VBoxManage to work on a Windows host you need to be in the directory that actually has VBoxManage.exe
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Oh and it would also help if you posted the guests log file ( as an attachment )
Rt click the guest in the main manager and then click on show log. Save and post as an attachment.
wdes2009

Post by wdes2009 »

Thanks for that clarification regarding the vboxmanage cmd.

Attached are both the guest log as well as the showvminfo response.

WDes
Attachments
vboxmanage.txt
(3.98 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Guest-Log.txt
(81.3 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

Name: 'vboxshared', Host path: 'C:\' (machine mapping), writable
Bad idea. Just choose a single folder to share not the entire hard drive.

I see a lot of suspend resume. You might need to reboot the guest or shut it down ( not saved state ) to clear up some settings or permission changes.

So you need to change the actual share and them you should be able to access shared folders.

Here is a post that should help you some.
Linux guest shared folders
wdes2009

Post by wdes2009 »

I rebooted the guest machine, changed the sharing path to C:\Users with the folder name: Users

I ran the cmd: sudo mount -t vboxsf Users ./vboxshared and still get the same No such device error.

I read the post you posted, especially the part:

Q: I get the error /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device.
A: You mount the SF on a mount point with the same name as the share itself, change the name or mount point.
A: You're sharing a personal folder like your Home Folder (Linux), or My Documents (Windows) on the Host. Define a new share, like a sub folder.

I feel I am close... any additional info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

WDes
Last edited by wdes2009 on 6. Oct 2014, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
wdes2009

Post by wdes2009 »

Could the issue be what I stated earlier, that it's missing the vboxsf?

I ran sudo modprobe vboxvfs and got this modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxsf not found.

Thanks,

WDes
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Ok so a little *NIX tutoral. the "." makes the path go back a level. You either need to use the tilde "~" or the full path /home/user/vboxshared