4.3 still breaks ALL USB windows host again

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NickISMyNick

Re: 4.3 still breaks ALL USB windows host again

Post by NickISMyNick »

I'm ditto: Windows 7 x86_64 host, Fedora 20 guest. VB 4.3 = no USB. Read this thread and reverted to 4.2.16 = USB. Un-reverted to latest 4.3.x = No USB. Using USB 2.x, not 3.X. USB device is an HTC EVO Android phone.

I'd be happy to test alpha or beta code (so long as it's labeled as such!).

(I'm in a bit of a bind because 4.2 is too old for my kernel--Guest Additions compilation fails shared folders step--and I really don't want to downgrade kernels. I'm preparing a host for use by about 15 students who'll be learning Android programming, some of them perhaps not too comfortable with Linux to begin with. So creature comforts such as shared folders are a big deal. But I can't keep tweaking my build because some of the more Linux-capable students will want to replicate it and it's already got more than enough wiggles.)
wayne.zhang

Post by wayne.zhang »

Still no lucky with the recent 4.3.14 release. I have to use the 4.2.16 drivers so far.
Last edited by wayne.zhang on 29. Jan 2015, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
wayne.zhang

Post by wayne.zhang »

There are indeed some changes related to this issue. In release 4.3.14, USB devices (USB 8GB thumb drive for me) can't be captured by Windows host (there is a driver in Windows Explorer, but it can't be accessed) now, but it can't be recognized by the guest OS (Ubuntu 14.04 for me) either.

Lucky enough, 4.2.16 USB driver workaround still works.
samirb

Post by samirb »

Hello
Am using VB -4.3.12-93733-Win And have the same problem.
No access to Usb from guest Debian 64 virtuel machine
Host is Win7 pro 64.

I made some experience, very interresting.
I user 4 different machine and the problem appear on new machine architecture.
3 machines are notebook based on 1 year hardwrare architecture, It means that the is some USB3 ports and USB2 ports.

In the VM USB working machines, all USB keys are working fine, including USB Dongles HASP.

In new hardware architecture notebook (Zbook17), all USB ports are managed by USB3 host concentrator and there are 2 USB3 controller. So, USB2 access is managed by a USB3 concentrator.
In my opinion, VM don't manage USB3 concentrator, It cas interrogate and this assume that USB are visisible in perepheral interface bu WHen you trye to connect, the request message is accepted by HOST machine, USB key is deconnected (deconnection sonore signal), the Guest system is waiting ....... bu the USB coontroller of VM don't know how he can do to manage the controller.
When I put the mouse on the peripheral module, it is seen as CAPTURED.

SO, the conclusion is that the USB3 must be managed by VM because all futur machines will be only USB3 concentrators and Host controllers.
If you have some suggests.
samirb

Post by samirb »

Other experiences :

1) when using USB3 Disk on USB3 controleller (or USB2 emulated controller), the Gust machine don't freeze.
2) if I use USB2 disk on emulated USB3 the guest system freeze.

USB2 on Emulated USB3 means that the USB2 is Host (interface) but it is really attached to USB3 concentrator in the physical machine.

Is this the new architecture for all PCs.

Regards
micks

Post by micks »

Have same problem on brand new Win7 Ult 64 PC, trying to run WinXP. Version - 4.3.16. Have installed extension packs and loaded guest additions but as soon as I load the USB filter for any USB device it all freezes. The same version appears to work fine on my WIN8.1 64 laptop so I am guessing it is down to the different USB hardware on the two???
micks

Post by micks »

Tried installing 4.2.16 as indicated by others but that gives same result. Think I will live this program to mature a bit and go back to dual boot.
micks

Post by micks »

Can anyone advise how you can uninstall COMPLETELY VirtualBox. I have used the uninstaller that comes with it and it clearly does only a partial job as when I re-install a different version it magically picks up the old settings that should have been uninstalled. I have been trying to test earlier versions to try and find one in which the USB support works but without luck. So Oracle, am I really meant to re-install Windows just to remove all traces of your application?

I have tried a third-party uninstaller that usually does a good job at removing all the junk that uninstallers leave behind but VB hides itself from it!

BTW neither v 4.2.8 nor 4.2.16 worked for me, but I can not be sure that what ever the problem is it is not being propagated between installations because of the failure of the uninstaller to enable me to go back to square one.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Micks, please don't hijack someone else's topic with a completely irrelevant discussion. I.e. this is not the "uninstallation issues" topic.
aliljet

Post by aliljet »

Just a quick question, is this problem being tracked under bug #11251?
jet123

Post by jet123 »

I've finally upgraded to version 4.3.12 (from 4.2.16) and all seems well. The USB problems I had before seem to have been fixed. :)
T Kamizi

Post by T Kamizi »

Hi everyone, I have had the same problem and I tried with two different USB 3.0 devices. The thing is, I think that was the problem, because when I changed to USB 2.0 device it worked immediately (without any filters, although you need to have the USB 2.0 support enabled before booting your VM).

So if nothing else works for your USB 3.0, try a USB 2.0 device instead! :)

PS. All my USB ports in my laptop are USB 3.0...
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

T Kamizi wrote:Hi everyone, I have had the same problem and I tried with two different USB 3.0 devices.
VirtualBox does not support USB 3.0. If you need access to a USB 3.0 drive you can use shared folders. If you plug USB 2.0 devices in a USB 3.0 port they will be treated as a USB 2.0 device.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Or use any old USB 2 extension cable and USB 3 devices will be forced to behave as USB 2.
CAlo

Post by CAlo »

Well. i had to rollback from 4.3.24 to 4.2.16 to work with my usb devices T_T . I hope the team fix the problem soon :).