This topic is specifically for Windows users that may still have issues seen in version 4.3.14 when the security was strengthened.
Please note that to be taken seriously you need to post a few items as attachments (compressed is preferred)
- 1) Host and version
3) Host virus software or debugging programs.
Previous post for version 4.3.14 for reference https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62615
Note that, as in the previous (4.3.14) discussion, the purpose of this topic is to gather diagnostic data needed to solve the hardening issues, and nothing else. Wibble posts, opinion posts, and posts that don't include necessary diagnostics will most likely be deleted. If a test build is created then you'll be expected to have tried it before you post.
Please be explicit about errors. Don't say "same as xxxxx". See list above for what's required.
Test build #9: 4.3.17 r96495
This should address the following issues:
- Deadlock starting VMs that many avast users has reported.
- Exit on c:\windows\system32\comctl32.dll load.
- Log overlow issue.
- Ownership issue with comctl32.dll under WinSxS.
- The VERR_SUPDRV_APIPORT_OPEN_ERROR problem some of you have been seeing.
- Avast problem seen by a couple of users (NtCreateSection patching errors, invalid section protection, ++)
- Better error messages on VBoxDrvStub open errors.
- Combinding Symantec Endpoint Protection and Comodo Firewall should no longer cause crash. (this may fix other problems)
- NAT problems some of you have should be fixed.
- Numerous problems related to refusal to load DLLs owned by the Builtin\Administrator group. For example the non-working NAT issue some of you have been seeing and Nvidia's detoured.dll.
- Error -104 respawn issues seen by ZoneAlarm users on 32-bit hosts.
- Windows 8.1 problems, like sysfer.dll (Symantec Endpoint Protection) showing, NtCreateSection issues with Avast, and others.
- Error reporting improvements (error details for vboxdrv.sys, DLL issues in VBox.log).
- Heap corruption or crash during VirtualBox startup.
- Evil handle problem some AVG users may experience. [not confirmed]
- Attempt at working around the BSODs users of Trend Micro's Data Loss Prevention Endpoint product(s) and some Digital Guardian product(s). [not confirmed]
Please do give the above build a spin before posting.
PS. Yes, you can use the 4.3.16 extension pack with this build.
PPS. Would be great if you could take this build for a spin even things are already working for you. We're getting close to 4.3.18 and would appreciate some additional help testing it. Thanks in advance.