Discuss the 4.3.16 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 4.3.16 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 4.3.16 release here. See the changelog for details.

Q: Why are the packages about 6-7MB smaller in comparison with VBox 4.3.14?
A: The X11 drivers as part of the Guest Additions got smaller due to some optimizations in the code. As the same code is compiled for a lot of X11/X.org versions (and for Linux and Solaris guests), the savings are quite visible (remember, every package includes the Guest Additions .iso).

Q: Will VBox 4.3.16 fix all problems users experienced with the introduction of Windows hardening in VBox 4.3.14?
A: Most likely not all problems but VBox 4.3.16 should work for a lot of more users. If you still have problems with starting VMs on Windows, please provide the VBoxStartup.log file to help us fixing the remaining problems.
robatino

Re: Discuss the 4.3.16 release

Post by robatino »

In my Fedora 21 and Fedora Rawhide guests, graphical mode doesn't work - I just get a black screen. I can get to a virtual console. Graphical worked normally with both guests on 4.3.14.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

robatino wrote:In my Fedora 21 and Fedora Rawhide guests, graphical mode doesn't work - I just get a black screen. I can get to a virtual console. Graphical worked normally with both guests on 4.3.14.
Have you tried to update the guest additions? There has been a lot of work in that area. You can try disabling 3D and see if the desktop shows or use tty.
robatino

Post by robatino »

Perryg wrote:
robatino wrote:In my Fedora 21 and Fedora Rawhide guests, graphical mode doesn't work - I just get a black screen. I can get to a virtual console. Graphical worked normally with both guests on 4.3.14.
Have you tried to update the guest additions? There has been a lot of work in that area. You can try disabling 3D and see if the desktop shows or use tty.
Immediately after updating to 4.3.16 graphical worked, so I updated the guest additions and rebooted to discover that it no longer worked. I also tried disabling 3D in the guest and it made no difference.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@robatino,

Then post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
robatino

Post by robatino »

VBox.log for Fedora 21 guest attached.
Attachments
VBox.log
(95.64 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
seand

Post by seand »

Hi,

Just upgraded to the latest version of VBox on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit.

I run Windows 7 Pro in full screen mode with the mini toolbar at the top of the VBox window. Since the upgrade, when I minimise the Vbox screen it does minimise however the toolbar still appears at the top of the host desktop.

This also affects the host desktop hiding it's task bar at the bottom of the screen until I click anywhere on the screen, then it reappears.

Maximising the VBox screen brings it back up to fullscreen.

The behaviour of minimising the VBox window is not as expected like it was on previous versions.

Regards,
Sean.
cremor

Post by cremor »

I just updated to 4.3.16 from 4.3.12 (4.3.14 didn't work for me) and noticed that each virtual machine now uses three VirtualBox.exe processes instead of one. Is this expected?
As far as I can see, the two additional processes never use any significant CPU and only a few MB of memory, so I'm wondering what their purpose is.

Host and Guests are all Windows 7 x64 SP1.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

cremor wrote:I just updated to 4.3.16 from 4.3.12 (4.3.14 didn't work for me) and noticed that each virtual machine now uses three VirtualBox.exe processes instead of one. Is this expected?
As far as I can see, the two additional processes never use any significant CPU and only a few MB of memory, so I'm wondering what their purpose is.

Host and Guests are all Windows 7 x64 SP1.
Yes, that's expected.
bamseek

Post by bamseek »

host: Ubuntu 14.04
Guest: Win XP, Win 7

After update 4.3.16 in fullscreen mode ubuntu top statusbar always cover guest descktop. rolled back to 4.3.14
Efrat Bar Tal

Post by Efrat Bar Tal »

bamseek wrote:host: Ubuntu 14.04

After update 4.3.16 in fullscreen mode ubuntu top statusbar always cover guest descktop. rolled back to 4.3.14
similar problem ubuntu 14.04 host with win8.1 guest.
windowed mode works fine, but fullscreen and seamless cursor remains as the host's (host's cursor icon, but no clicks registered). keyboard works.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

robatino wrote:
Perryg wrote:
Immediately after updating to 4.3.16 graphical worked, so I updated the guest additions and rebooted to discover that it no longer worked. I also tried disabling 3D in the guest and it made no difference.
The VBox Guest Additions before 4.3.16 did not ship X11 drivers to support X.org 1.16. The 4.3.16 Guest Additions include such drivers. But the changes in X.org reveal a bug in the VBox Guest Additions which prevented the GNOME shell from being started. Could you try this test .iso image and check if it makes your F21 guest work as expected? Thank you!
robatino

Post by robatino »

Frank Mehnert wrote: The VBox Guest Additions before 4.3.16 did not ship X11 drivers to support X.org 1.16. The 4.3.16 Guest Additions include such drivers. But the changes in X.org reveal a bug in the VBox Guest Additions which prevented the GNOME shell from being started. Could you try this test .iso image and check if it makes your F21 guest work as expected? Thank you!
This fixes the problem in both my F21 and Rawhide guests. Thanks.
Home PC Help

Post by Home PC Help »

Efrat Bar Tal wrote:
bamseek wrote:host: Ubuntu 14.04

similar problem ubuntu 14.04 host with win8.1 guest.
windowed mode works fine, but fullscreen and seamless cursor remains as the host's (host's cursor icon, but no clicks registered). keyboard works.
Can confirm same as above.

Ubuntu 14.04 Host.

Guests: Ubuntu 14.04, CentOS 7, openSUSE 13, Mint 17, Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

All suffering statusbar/taskbar/launcher "being covered" issues and Host Key (right CTRL key) not properly being captured by the guest OS.

All kinds of issues with fullscreen in all OS's. Tried every trick, updating guest-additions, reinstalling DKMS in host/guest, installed a new instance of Ubuntu, no change.
Last edited by Home PC Help on 10. Sep 2014, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
indigo196

Post by indigo196 »

I can also confirm the issue of full screen not working as expected with Unity elements covering the guest OS whne using fullscreen.