How to change the resolution?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
vinhtq115

How to change the resolution?

Post by vinhtq115 »

I installed Mac OS X but it always run 1024x768. How to change it to 1366x768? :(
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: How to change the resolution?

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file (as an attachment)
See Online Users Manual for the location of the file.
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

Running OS X as a guest in VirtualBox limits you to the display resolutions you can select.

From the User Manual:
EFI provides two distinct video interfaces: GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) and UGA (Universal Graphics Adapter). Mac OS X uses GOP, while Linux tends to use UGA. VirtualBox provides a configuration option to control the framebuffer size for both interfaces.

To control GOP, use the following VBoxManage command:

VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N

Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4 referring to the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900 screen resolution respectively.

The video mode for both GOP and UGA can only be changed when the VM is powered off and remains persistent until changed.
I've found through experimentation that if you use N = 5 you can also get a resolution of 1920x1200.
Bobbins

Post by Bobbins »

just in case anyone else has issue's i have also found the following to work:

open Finder and go to the OS X drive on the left. Open the folder called Extras. Right Click on the file com.Apple.Boot.plist and open it with TextEdit.

Code: Select all

<key>Graphics Mode</key> 
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
Select "Save As" at the top and save it to the desktop, un-checking the tick box under Unicode and then save it as com.apple.boot.plist. After that drag and drop it into the extras folder and overwrite the original file, entering your password set up during account creation.

Once you have done this close down your Virtual Machine. Then in normal windows using your search option, load CMD.

To start with type the following: cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox" Once you have done this types the following: vboxmanage setextradata "Name of virtual machine" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32" and press enter. The sizes here you will need to set as you screen resolution. You can usually find out by right clicking on your desktop and selecting Screen Resolution or Options. Replace "1920x1080x32" with whatever resolution you're using.

This worked perfectly fine for me.
kkshethin
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora/Mac/Windows

Post by kkshethin »

my virtaul machine name is mac an i wanted 1280*1024 resolution. In terminal i did

VBoxManage setextradata "mac" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 3

It worked, thanks.
mascondante

Post by mascondante »

I tried all instructions here and to no avail. Changing the "Graphics Mode" and setting custom video mode as well as the VBoxManage setextradata "OSX" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 5 command. I got a higher resolution but no more than 1280x1024. Is there any other way to make it happen?
joeybagofdonuts

Post by joeybagofdonuts »

I tried this with a windows 7 guest host and i don't get more than 1024x768. What gives?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@joeybagofdonuts
With a Windows 7 host or with a Windows 7 guest? This is the Mac guests forum, so if you meant a Windows 7 host, then the answer is in the FAQ: Mac OS X guest on a Windows Host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aClockworkOrange

Post by aClockworkOrange »

Also I found that you can't use 'spaces' in your vm name, for example use:

VBoxManage setextradata “elCapitainNew" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode

instead of

VBoxManage setextradata “el capitain new" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 3 (this is not going to work)
ccole

Post by ccole »

Thank you! Taking the spaces out of the VM worked for me. :D
aClockworkOrange wrote:Also I found that you can't use 'spaces' in your vm name, for example use:

VBoxManage setextradata “elCapitainNew" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode

instead of

VBoxManage setextradata “el capitain new" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 3 (this is not going to work)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Why does bad advice and subsequently thank yous keep pilling up? If your VM has a space in its name, it has a space in its name. Not even Turing can change that.

Now, since you know how to use the Terminal, could you post the output of the command:
   VBoxManage list vms
so we can see what we're dealing with?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.