Internet connection

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SmerfPerth

Internet connection

Post by SmerfPerth »

I have just upgraded to the lastest version of virtualbox. Initially I had no trouble connecting to the internet in my windows vista guest (mac os host) but suddenly this is not working anymore.

I have tried the updated guest additions and changing the card to Intel but I continue to have good internet connection on my host machine, but not in the vista VM.

Can anybody help?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

More Details please.

"Doesnt work" is all you write.

NAT? NIC Type in Guest?
SmerfPerth

Post by SmerfPerth »

In the Vista guest I've got Adaptor 0 connected, and I've tried the Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop and the AMD PCNet Fast III, to no avail.

The network mode is NAT. When I try to access the internet through several different programs in Vista I can't connect to the internet despite being able to in my Mac OS host at the same time.

The network symbol at the right hand bottom of the screen in Vista shows that it is connected through a Local Access and does NOT have a red cross over it. Obviously when I click on "Diagnose this problem" in Internet Explorer it can't because pinging doesn't work in VirtualBox.

I don't know what other info you need??
SmerfPerth

Post by SmerfPerth »

Oh, and the internet only started to not work after I downloaded the latest updates for Vista and restarted the VM. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?????
SmerfPerth

Post by SmerfPerth »

The Vista guest network connection is DHCP enabled too.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You have to solve such problems at the root. Starting Programs and see no connection doesnt help.

In Windows System Control / Hardware Manager: Is there a NIC listed? Ifo so, without errors / correct activated?

What says "ipconfig" in the guest command line?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Else deactivate all Fiorewalls on Host and Guest for the Tests.
Sosostiris

Vista internet connection

Post by Sosostiris »

I had a similar problem using NAT. Although the guest VISTA system recognised my host XP network, I couldn't see the internet from my guest machine.

I think it's because I use my own DNS info on the host machine.

So, borrowing a tip from the Linux guest forum, I found out the DNS info used by my LAN on the host XP machine ( Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection ) There click on the Properties button on the General tab. Next, double-click on the Internet Protocol item in the list. If you are using manually entered DNS server addresses, they are here. Make a copy of them in a text document.

Now open your Vista guest and, go via Control Panel to the Network Center and in the left column, click on Manage Network Connections (not quite sure how it's named, I'm using a German VISTA). There click on Properties and double-click the Internet Protocol Version 4 item in the list.

In the bottom part of the panel, click "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter the numbers that you noted down from your host.

Reboot the guest VISTA, and you should be OK.