4.3.14 conflicts with anti-virus packages.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
iki
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: wxp, ubuntu, sabayon

Re: 4.3.14 conflicts with anti-virus packages.

Post by iki »

Won't start with Comodo Internet Security Premium 7.0.317799.4142.

Error: failed to install NtCreateSection monitor

Solution: downgraded to 4.3.12

Pls remove 4.3.14, fix & release
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Windza wrote::idea: Here's a thought mpack :idea:
If you want to stop the moaning, push the devs to PULL THE DAMN "UPGRADE" :evil:
These are user forums. Everyone here is a user like yourself. I no more have the power or influence to pull an upgrade than you do. But if this bothers you so much then I'd suggest, in future, not upgrading when the latest bleeding edge release comes out. Or, buy some non-free software where you can be entitled to support.
Windza wrote: What a disappointing first post :roll:
And I'll bet that was written without a trace of irony. Self awareness quotient 0.00. :roll:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

another1 wrote:1) I was also asked to close processes during the downgrade. I didn't look to see what there were - I just rebooted.

2) -IF- 4.3.14 is pulled, 4.3.13 or 4.3.14 Guest Additions should be made available because 4.3.12 Guest Additions have a major problem with 3D making the graphical interface really slow on a Ubuntu 14.04 guest (and maybe others).
There is nothing which says that the GAs version must match the host VBox version - it isn't like the extension pack which is a plugin for a specific version. The GAs are just a collection of drivers and minor apps for the guest. I personally upgrade the GAs only when I have a reason to.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

DrTeeth wrote:Thank you for confirming that it is not just an AV issue, as the title of the thread infers.
Urrgh. I think you mean "implies".

The thread title was chosen to attract the majority of affected users, and hence cut down on the expected zillion redundant duplicate threads. You'll note that the title doesn't include the word "only". However if you can suggest a topic title that would work better then it can still be changed. Bear in mind the limit of around 50-60 characters.
axxies
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win2K3, Linux, Win7 x64

Post by axxies »

I made a fresh install of a Dell E5410 with Win 8.1 Enterprise N, 64 bit. First I installed these things:

* the OS (of course :) )
* EditPad Lite 7
* Agent Ransack 64bit
* 7-Zip
* Firefox 30.0
* LastPass
* FileZilla FTP Server
* FileZilla FTP Client 3.8.1
* VirtualBox 4.3.14

Then I copied in a Win7 Pro 64 bit VBox image that I have used a for a long time and booted it. Everything worked.

Later on I also installed:

* AVG Free 2014.0.04716
* Visual Studio Express 2013 incl update 2

Then I tried to boot the VBox image and I got this "relaunching error". After reading here that the antivirus was the problem, I tried to disable it (same problem with not being able to boot the VBox image), I uninstalled AVG and I still had problems booting the VBox image. I thought the problem was AVG and that some remains of AVG was still there so I made a clean install of Win 8.1 again (ever software above except for AVG and Visual Studio).

The VBox image was booted without any problems. Without any AVG present I installed Visual Studio and then I tried to boot the VBox image - the "relaunching error" occured again.

Well, anyway, I uninstalled Visual Studio Express again and now everything worked as it should again. The VBox image booted without any problems.

To me it seems like there are some files that are part of both the antiviruses that you guys/gals have found to be the cause of the "relaunching error", and Visual Studio Express.

Very annoying since I need both VBox AND Visual Studio Express.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

jefke wrote:but I do hope the idea of this post is not to just build a list of apps that "seems to give problems" and then kind of add exceptions (create whitelist)?
I don't speak for the devs - they'll take whatever action they deem appropriate. My comment was only a guess.

My feeling was that, having spent resources on implementing the feature, their first instinct will be a rescue attempt using something like a whitelist. In the long term however I agree that the feature is doomed: they''ll be forever playing catchup and hearing about new exceptions, and anyway IMHO VirtualBox is trying to impose security features that should properly belong to the host OS. As guaranteed AV users this feature will hit business customers directly - i.e. VBox's paying customers - so my bet is that, eventually, the feature will have to be abandoned.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

mpack wrote:- so my bet is that, eventually, the feature will have to be abandoned.
The problem is when is "eventually". I reverted to 4.3.12 evrything works. BUT yesterday I upgraded a sparky linux VM, and could not install guest additions because "the version of xorg is not supported" I even donwloaded 4.3.14 GA iso from ftp, with same (negative) result.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ElQuia wrote:BUT yesterday I upgraded a sparky linux VM, and could not install guest additions because "the version of xorg is not supported" I even donwloaded 4.3.14 GA iso from ftp, with same (negative) result.
That seems like a question for the "Linux Guests" forum.
endi
Guest OSses: Windows, Debian, Ubuntu

Post by endi »

mpack wrote:their first instinct will be a rescue attempt using something like a whitelist.
It would be great if I could add my own antivirus to the whitelist (ie. customize the list). But that would probably break the whole security model, I guess.

So the question would be: why would the devs take the effort to implement such a complex, non-essential security feature with obvious shortcomings in a minor release? One answer hits me: our old pal DRM. It's not about security (preventing the VM from being...broken into?), it's about preventing VBox from being used as a reverse engineering tool. Please, really please convince me I'm wrong.
DigiAngel
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Win 7, Win XP

Post by DigiAngel »

mikesteel wrote:Virtual Box 4.3.14 crashes with AMD-Radeon HD 7450

Up to Virtual-Box 4.3.10 was all ok. I didn't test 4.3.12. But when I try to start 4.3.14 the added error-message was shown and I can only stop this with windows task manager.
I went back to 4.3.10.
Yea I have that EXACT same error.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

endi wrote:why would the devs take the effort to implement such a complex, non-essential security feature with obvious shortcomings in a minor release? One answer hits me: our old pal DRM.
I don't see why the devs would care about protecting someone else's digital rights, especially in open source code where anyone can produce a fork that eliminates the protection. That's a really rather stupid conspiracy theory IMHO. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be an Oracle policy about eliminating malware vulnerabilities being imposed from on high without considering the practicalities - hence the nervousness evidenced by beta testing a minor release.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Just to make an explicit statement: Despite the fact that many users are affected we cannot just pull the 4.3.14 release and replace it. The 4.3.14 release is done, we are working on fixing the problems on Windows and there will be another release containing the fixes.
endi
Guest OSses: Windows, Debian, Ubuntu

Post by endi »

mpack wrote:really rather stupid conspiracy theory IMHO.
full disclosure: i'm just suspicious and mostly clueless, not a conspirationist. The doubt will stick with me (in part depending on how they will handle this situation) but thank you for providing me a convincing alternative :)
astrashe

Post by astrashe »

I'm seeing the problem. I'm running Windows 7 Professional with Trend-Micro Worry Free Business Security Services AV. If I unload my AV software (temporarily disable it), VirtualBox works just fine.

Also, on the plus side, 4.3.14's Guest Additions work very well with Centos 7 -- that's why I upgraded in the first place.

VirtualBox is an amazing and incredibly useful tool to get for free, especially when paired with Vagrant. Thanks for all of your hard work.
NJE1

Post by NJE1 »

Win 7 Enterprise
Kaspersky 6.0

I had an Ubuntu VM working relatively well but had an issue so decided to upgrade from 4.2.26 to 4.3.14. The VM would not run so remove it and deleted all files. Tried unsuccessfully to start up a fresh Ubuntu64 VM. Reinstalled 4.3.14 a few times still no luck. Resorted to creating a Windows64 VM from scratch with default settings and it will not run I still get this error:
vboxerror1.png
vboxerror1.png (11.51 KiB) Viewed 6837 times