OS/2 Warp 3 HELP!

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Yoda

Re: OS/2 Warp 3 HELP!

Post by Yoda »

Hmm, on newer versions, loopback interface has always reported itself as interface 9.
I just tested in W4 - and mine says interface 0 for loopback too, so maybe
your setup.cmd is correct after all. That however, makes the problem even more
mysterious.
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by J.L. »

I don't see anything wrong with setup.cmd... Tried changing DNS in host (changing in guest seems to render it unbootable), and I seem to be getting better connections. I can download files and connect to FTP properly now, but still get stuck at mget *.
Attachments
OS_2 Warp 4.png
OS_2 Warp 4.png (21.44 KiB) Viewed 11465 times
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:I don't see anything wrong with setup.cmd... Tried changing DNS in host (changing in guest seems to render it unbootable), and I seem to be getting better connections. I can download files and connect to FTP properly now, but still get stuck at mget *.
The command line FTP only supports active ftp. Since you run it through NAT (maybe
many times) that will usually not work. This is expected.

You can use WebEx to get the files.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

Yes, it's working (albeit awfully repetitive having press Esc then type the next file). Will try installing Guest Additions by myself now.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:Yes, it's working (albeit awfully repetitive having press Esc then type the next file). Will try installing Guest Additions by myself now.
Yes, same problem here - didn't say it was perfect :-)

Do not install GRADD.DLL from guest additions - it is defective, and doesn't work !
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

I don't see statup.cmd, how am I supposed to create it? Like this?

Selective installed GENGRADD before that, it froze on boot. Do you mean gengradd.dll?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:I don't see statup.cmd, how am I supposed to create it? Like this?

Selective installed GENGRADD before that, it froze on boot. Do you mean gengradd.dll?
STARTUP.CMD is a file you can create in \ if you like .. ( and know what you do)

Yes, sorry, I meant GENGRADD.DLL - do not use that, from current guest additions ,
it doesn't work. It is fixed in next version - but versions before 4.3.6 works too.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

So I don't need it? Same with the prerequisite gengradd driver?

Turns out the folder name OS2Additions is too long, so I made OS2Add instead. But then I can't copy some files cause their names are too long...

Edit: I get it now... Such a dumbass for accidentally choosing easy install FAT instead of HPFS. Sigh, rinse and repeat later.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

Due to impatience, I think I'm finished! Don't think I ever needed to configure Loopback, it's still working the same. Guest Additions installed without any problems, mouse integration working. Didn't need startup.cmd or gengradd.dll after all.

Installed SciTech Display Doctor 7.1 Final, and entered free officially released registration numbers. It works great with VBoxManage setextradata, but I have to reboot to change resolution. For sharing files between guest and host, I'm using the built-in Windows 7 IIS Manager. Unfortunately, ftp is still buggy, but I can download fine with WebExplorer. Not sure how I'd upload, if I ever need that.

Edit: Lastly, may I suggest changing the title to "OS/2 Warp 3/4 HELP!"?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

J.L. wrote:Guest Additions installed without any problems, mouse integration working. Didn't need startup.cmd or gengradd.dll after all.
Which OS version is this exactly?
but I have to reboot to change resolution.
OS/2 limitation...
For sharing files between guest and host, I'm using the built-in Windows 7 IIS Manager.
Setting up file sharing (i.e. peer in OS/2, using NetBIOS over TCP/IP protocol) it's possible to exchange data more directly, although connecting to current Windows releases is quite painful. A Linux-based NAS is way easier to work with :)
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:Due to impatience, I think I'm finished! Don't think I ever needed to configure Loopback, it's still working the same.

Yes, I don't think there was anything wrong with your network from the start.
The problem is simply that WebExplorer do not understand todays websites,
so it can only be used for ftp. As mentioned earlier, standard ftp client uses
active ftp - and Vbox can't handle this through NAT (I tried, but could simply
not get it working), so you need to use bridged networking, to make it work.
I tried that here (Inet router gives out the IP in this case) - and then ftp
client worked fine. The RSU app that can fetch fixpacks also only uses active
ftp, so best option is to use bridged networking.
Guest Additions installed without any problems, mouse integration working. Didn't need startup.cmd or gengradd.dll after all.
Installed SciTech Display Doctor 7.1 Final, and entered free officially released registration numbers.
Right, with Scitech installed, gengradd.dll is not used anymore. It is only used,
if you selected Gengradd video driver during install (default is VGA).
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

michaln wrote:
J.L. wrote:Guest Additions installed without any problems, mouse integration working. Didn't need startup.cmd or gengradd.dll after all.
Which OS version is this exactly?
but I have to reboot to change resolution.
OS/2 limitation...
For sharing files between guest and host, I'm using the built-in Windows 7 IIS Manager.
Setting up file sharing (i.e. peer in OS/2, using NetBIOS over TCP/IP protocol) it's possible to exchange data more directly, although connecting to current Windows releases is quite painful. A Linux-based NAS is way easier to work with :)
OS/2 Warp 4 BonusPak with FixPak 15.

Thought so, still incovenient when multitasking.

More work lol. I'll stick with what I always use for guests that don't support shared folders.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

Yoda wrote:
J.L. wrote:Due to impatience, I think I'm finished! Don't think I ever needed to configure Loopback, it's still working the same.

Yes, I don't think there was anything wrong with your network from the start.
The problem is simply that WebExplorer do not understand todays websites,
so it can only be used for ftp. As mentioned earlier, standard ftp client uses
active ftp - and Vbox can't handle this through NAT (I tried, but could simply
not get it working), so you need to use bridged networking, to make it work.
I tried that here (Inet router gives out the IP in this case) - and then ftp
client worked fine. The RSU app that can fetch fixpacks also only uses active
ftp, so best option is to use bridged networking.
Guest Additions installed without any problems, mouse integration working. Didn't need startup.cmd or gengradd.dll after all.
Installed SciTech Display Doctor 7.1 Final, and entered free officially released registration numbers.
Right, with Scitech installed, gengradd.dll is not used anymore. It is only used,
if you selected Gengradd video driver during install (default is VGA).
Actually there was a problem with using Norton ConnectSafe as my DNS. Http downloads also worked fine after switching to FoolDNS. If I switch to bridged networking, will there be additional configuration needed in the guest? How and should I install any fixes left?

I see, wont bother copying gengradd in the future. But still don't understand what startup.cmd is for.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:Actually there was a problem with using Norton ConnectSafe as my DNS. Http downloads also worked fine after switching to FoolDNS. If I switch to bridged networking, will there be additional configuration needed in the guest?
No, nothing.
How and should I install any fixes left?
I don't know, what you have managed to install yet.
But still don't understand what startup.cmd is for.
STARTUP.CMD is a standard batchfile - but it is started by the OS, just after
the desktop is started. You can use it to launch other programs.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

I just changed to Bridged, but all connections just time out. Switching back to NAT fixes that (without even restoring snapshot).

I've only managed to install OS/2 itself with BonusPak, FixPak 15, Guest Additions (most of it), and SciTech Display Doctor. Going to look into Application Sampler CD if there's anything worth installing..

What I mean is, what is the point of editing it for Guest Additions? Or more precisely, why is VBoxService.exe needed at startup in that manner?