OS/2 Warp 3 HELP!

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

OS/2 Warp 3 HELP!

Post by J.L. »

Hello, being a newbie at OS/2 I need assistance for going any further than basic system installation.

First, I acquired this OS via legitimate means through craigslist for free. They simply gave away their unneeded copies of OS/2, boxes, manuals, installation media, etc.

Second, I've successfully installed it with working audio and CD-ROM. Then I've installed INTERNET, MMVIEWER, SYSINFO, and WORKS from BonusPak.

Third, I cannot seem to get Internet working. All online references I can find do not provide specific instructions for VirtualBox users.

Lastly, I would like to install FixPak 43 and all the other latest updates if possible. Then install Guest Additions and change my screen resolution to 1920x1080.

Please forgive any mistakes I may make. Thank you for your time.
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: OS/2 Warp 3 HELP!

Post by michaln »

J.L. wrote:Third, I cannot seem to get Internet working. All online references I can find do not provide specific instructions for VirtualBox users.
If it's plain Warp 3 and not Warp Connect, you won't get it working because only dial-up internet access was included in that version of OS/2.
Lastly, I would like to install FixPak 43 and all the other latest updates if possible.
That's not any different in a VM compared to a physical machine, so your best bet is some OS/2-specific support forum. From what I recall, FixPak 43 was only intended for Warp Server so some hackery might be needed.

Also please keep in mind that OS/2 Warp 3 is not officially supported by the VirtualBox Guest Additions. It might work with a reasonably new FixPak (I'm not too certain about that), but if it doesn't, nobody will be particularly interested to hear about that. You should be able to get GENGRADD or SDD going with FixPak 35+ I believe, and that will give you decent resolutions and color depths.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

Darn it, no wonder. Guess I'll have to carefully setup Warp 4 later. Thanks for your help!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:Darn it, no wonder. Guess I'll have to carefully setup Warp 4 later. Thanks for your help!
I can't help wondering, what you wanted with Warp3 as a newbie ?

It is as old as Win 95, and mostly as useless today.
You will need Warp 4.5 or eComstation today - if you want to use it for something serious.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

Experimenting, learning experience, just for fun, etc.

Do any of you know the proper way to setup OS/2 Warp 4 with Internet access? I failed last time.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I don't think I have installed Warp 4 in Vbox - but there shouldn't be
any problems with that afaik. Ask, if you runs into an issue.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

What do you know, I have a corrupt floppy. Went through the convoluted steps of downloading from IBM updated diskette 1&2 EXE, running them under VirtualBox XP cause they won't run on 7 64-bit, then extracting on virtual floppy program due to VirtualBox's limited access to physical floppy.

Internet appears to be working now, downloaded uzs550x2.exe (nevermind downloaded dummy file). Problem is, I'm having trouble downloading FixPack 15 from the IBM ftp servers. Any up-to-date instructions on that?

Okay, I'm not even sure if I have a proper connection. IBM WebExplorer (LAN) always downloads dummy files, and ftp doesn't connect to IBM servers except ftp.software.ibm.com in which I can login but mget freezes.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Fixpack 15 is on the site you mention. As it is diskette images, try to download them on your host, and mount them as needed.

I'd be surprised if you could not access the phys diskette drive with win7 - but
you might need to start Vbox in administrator mode. Anyway - it is much faster
just to mount all the floppy images as you need them from the host.

You might need other fixpacks to get the IP stack updated to something
usefull. Look for MPTN and TCPIP dirs on same ftp site
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

I got VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED with files from: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/ ... s/xr_m015/

On easy installation, with just connect to the Internet selected, I cannot access anything online. Something about unregistered name servers or invalid Internet connection. Then I re-installed TCP/IP with DHCP and nothing else entered, which gets me back to the buggy connection as described.

I can't seem to find them?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:I got VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED with files from: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/ ... s/xr_m015/
Yeah, I just tested one, and it seems they use compressed images.
Vbox only supports the uncompressed version :-/
J.L. wrote:On easy installation, with just connect to the Internet selected, I cannot access anything online. Something about unregistered name servers or invalid Internet connection. Then I re-installed TCP/IP with DHCP and nothing else entered, which gets me back to the buggy connection as described.
Quite impossible to tell from that, what is wrong with your connection.
I'll see if I can find a Warp4 CD here somewhere, and try to install it.
J.L. wrote:I can't seem to find them?
Huh ?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:On easy installation, with just connect to the Internet selected, I cannot access anything online. Something about unregistered name servers or invalid Internet connection. Then I re-installed TCP/IP with DHCP and nothing else entered, which gets me back to the buggy connection as described.
OK, just installed W4 same way.
LAN is not configured after install, you have to start TCP/IP configuration notebook, and enable Lan0 as DHCP - AND you have to enable Loopback Interface too (the last one). The error you have is most likely, that the loopback interface is not enabled.
After that, run 'setup' from CMD and it should be working (no reboot required)

I managed to download one of the fixpack files with WebEx, so it is possible
(although it as expected doesn't work very well).

You may wanna look for the RSU utility on IBMs FTP site - AFAIR it could
download and install the fixpacks
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

I can't seem to find MPTN and TCPIP dirs on same ftp site.

Thanks for going above and beyond to help. Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing the same bugs. Using NAT PCnet-FAST III if that helps. Is it normal for WebExplorer to have no viewer registered for every website?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:I can't seem to find MPTN and TCPIP dirs on same ftp site.
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/
J.L. wrote:Thanks for going above and beyond to help.
No problem :-) It must be 15 years or so, since I upgraded from Warp4,
so it is a bit fun to see and install it again.
J.L. wrote:Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing the same bugs.
That is really strange. I installed with all default options - both for Vbox,
and during install, and after install I just configured TCP/IP as previous described.
What does 'netstat -a' output ?
J.L. wrote:Using NAT PCnet-FAST III if that helps.
Same here.
J.L. wrote: Is it normal for WebExplorer to have no viewer registered for every website?
I do not quite understand what you mean by 'viewer' here - but do expect WebEx to show weird results for websites - it is most likely only HTML1 compatible :-)
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

I'm not sure what to install from those ftp directories... Thanks still.

Last time I tried OS/2 was 4.52 through the Internet with a virtual machine already configured. Then my conscience and lack of need deleted it.

Please see attached screenshot, too lazy to type lol.

Thought I may need an older version, good to know.

It won't display any website, saying it has no viewer recognized and wants me to download the page. Actually, I may be getting to the bottom of this: every file it downloads is a Norton ConnectSafe html.
Attachments
OS_2 Warp 4.png
OS_2 Warp 4.png (26.34 KiB) Viewed 16677 times
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

quick reply...

Good picture - that is definitely very wrong - the loopback interface should NOT
be interface 0 as the network card uses that, so my previous suspicion was right.

You need to edit this file:
\MPTN\BIN\SETUP.CMD

and it needs these lines:

route -fh
arp -f
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
dhcpstrt -i lan0

your 127.0.0.1 line must be wrong
(just leave all the REM lines as they are)