no 64bit guest options available

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
klsc
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

no 64bit guest options available

Post by klsc »

hi,

I have a little problem. my host system is windows 7 64bit professional. I use version 3.2.10 of virtualbox.
I would like to install an 64bit guest ubuntu, but there is no 64bit operating system in the dropdown list! my cpu is core 2 quad q8400 in sockel 775.

on my notebook are options in the dropdownlist for various operating systems like linux 2.6 and linux 2.6 (64bit) and other.

where are the 64bit guest options on my desktop?

I hope you can help

ks
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: no 64bit guest options available

Post by Perryg »

Make sure that hardware virtualization is turned on in your BIOS. Then reinstall VirtualBox to get the options.
klsc

Post by klsc »

I have no option like this in my award bios. I have a gigabyte board (P43-ES3G) and bios update to the latest version.
deinstall, reboot and reinstall latest virtualbox, but the result is the same.

I have added an screenshot.

are there other things that I can do?
Attachments
no64bit.jpg
no64bit.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 18898 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you don't have it in the bios you will only be able to run 32bit guests. Sorry.
klsc

Post by klsc »

it looks like the chipset doesnt support it.

thanx for your help
habanagold

Post by habanagold »

Guess this is a old post but still a relevant topic. I have used VMware workstation for years and had no problem installing 64-bit OS in their virtual environment. Having recently tried VirtualBox, I have found it a much lighter and thinner client to accomplish the same thing. I used it on my work system and had a problem installing 64-bit OS's because I was also running Hyper-V. After removing both, and reinstalling VirtualBOX, I was now had the option to install 64-bit OS.

I now am trying to accomplish the same thing on my home laptop. Granted it is an AMD Quad Core Processor and I have virtualization turned on in the BIOS as well as running Win7x64. I have removed VMware Workstation 10 and have installed VirtualBox. However, it does not afford me the option to install 64-bit OS. Can someone explain what the problems is?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

habanagold wrote:Can someone explain what the problems is?
Not unless you provide diagnostic data, i.e. a VM log file. A log from any VM will do, provided the VT-x/AMD-v option is enabled. It would also be better if you started your own support topic instead of hijacking the OPs.

See Minimum information needed for assistance.
nerath

Post by nerath »

After having this issue and no luck solving it, I tried installing VMWare player. It told me that "Trusted Host Execution" must be disabled in the BIOS, and that solved the VirtualBox problem for me. Now 64 bit appears as an option and 64 bit guests run. My host is Windows 7 Enterprise.