Touchscreen issues ubuntu host, Windows 8.1 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
phobictree

Touchscreen issues ubuntu host, Windows 8.1 guest

Post by phobictree »

Virtual Box Version : 4.3.10_Ubuntu r93012
Host : Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 amd64
Guest : Windows 8.1 Pro
Guest additions : Installed.

Issue:

I am trying to use the touchscreen with win 8.1 pro. The issue is that the touchscreen only hovers over items, it doesn't select them.
Example:
I will move the mouse into the top right corner, and the charm bar appears. I attempt to touch the start button, but it only highlights. It will not... "click" it.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
log.zip
(24.23 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
KrikNaglas

Re: Touchscreen issues ubuntu host, Windows 8.1 guest

Post by KrikNaglas »

Hi,

I have the same problem - any luck or new info that could help?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I wasn't aware VirtualBox supported touchscreens at all. I can't find anything mentioned in the user manual or in the changelogs.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
phobictree

Post by phobictree »

KrikNaglas wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem - any luck or new info that could help?
I thought the issue stemmed from the weird touch and synaptic drivers on my system, the dell haswell xps12.
However, i have installed the proposed kernal, which has fixed the issues. You can check out that here in this link. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1218973
The issue with touch in virtualbox remains the same. I have found no further info on the matter.
loukingjr wrote:I wasn't aware VirtualBox supported touchscreens at all. I can't find anything mentioned in the user manual or in the changelogs.
Yes it is in the newest version. See this link. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2058329/ ... ation.html
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

phobictree wrote: Yes it is in the newest version. See this link. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2058329/ ... ation.html
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. Of course if Apple ever implements touch screens on their desktops I still won't touch the screen. :)
AdamColligan

Post by AdamColligan »

Hello,

I am having a form of this issue in which my guest system mis-interprets touch signals.

My setup is:
Hardware: HP Envy x360 hybrid notebook (64-bit, i7, 12GB RAM, multitouch screen)
Host OS: Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit | Kernel 3.16.0-6.11
Guest OS: Windows 8.1, install from Microsoft DVD . Currently in "Multitouch" mode, but have also tried plain "USB tablet". Windows sees the display as "generic non-PnP" with "limited touch support".

The problem takes two forms, depending on whether Mouse Integration is enabled or disabled.

With Mouse Integration enabled:
Mouse taps in the VM window are interpreted by the Windows guest OS as mouse-over hovers rather than clicks. So tapping on a tile, for instance, will move the cursor to it and highlight it. But it doesn't do anything else.

With Mouse Integration disabled:
Mouse taps are recognized as clicks by the Windows guest OS. But they are mappepd to locations far from their actual positions on the screen. The distance is enough that I cannot even successfully calibrate the screen using Windows' native tool.

The touchpad seems to work fine. It's difficult to tell whether any multitouch gestures are being recognized. So it's not clear to me whether the touchpad bug discussions at Launchpad are really the same issue or not. (There is now also another bug thread at launchpad: bug 1218973 ).

Any further insight would be much appreciated.
psiegel

Post by psiegel »

I am having the exact same problems -- mouse integration on and I only get hovers, mouse integration off and I get clicks but the position is way off. Did you ever find a solution?

Virtual Box 4.3.20 r96996
Host: Lenovo ideapad u530, ubuntu 14.04 LTS, kernel 3.13.0-44-generic
Spadefinger

Post by Spadefinger »

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just had a similar issue. Maybe my solution will work for someone else. Maybe it won't.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS host - Virtualbox 4.3.28 - Windows XP guest - Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 Mk6

The touchscreen only hovered. The touchscreen click function would not work at all in the virtual XP box.

The touchscreen click function worked outside of the virtual machine.

This model has both wacom type input and touch. Wacom pens worked out of the box, left-click and all.

Installed xinput-calibrator, but could not calibrate my touchscreen device.

After much frustration and gnashing of teeth, I found that if I just deleted /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf, everything worked.

Apparently the evdev driver and wacom driver conflicted (not entirely sure on that point, but dumping the wacom driver worked for me).

YMMV
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Spadefinger wrote:After much frustration and gnashing of teeth, I found that if I just deleted /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf, everything worked.

Apparently the evdev driver and wacom driver conflicted (not entirely sure on that point, but dumping the wacom driver worked for me).

YMMV
I'm glad it worked for you but no one else mentioned having a Wacom tablet. If they don't I'm guessing it may not work for them. Then again, maybe they all do.
Spadefinger

Post by Spadefinger »

loukingjr wrote: I'm glad it worked for you but no one else mentioned having a Wacom tablet. If they don't I'm guessing it may not work for them. Then again, maybe they all do.
I see you've chimed in here before, and have contributed equally with every post. Thanks for commenting. :wink:
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Now, now. Be nice. :)
Tudor

Post by Tudor »

I'm having the same problem on a Dell Venue Pro 11 7140 (Intel Core-M 5Y71). The touch seems to be the same as mouseover or mousehover rather than click.

I've tried removing 50-wacom.conf but that didn't fix it. :-(

Any other ideas?
vtrandal

Post by vtrandal »

I do not see why touch input in a VirtualBox guests is a problem. I've had good results using an Acer T232HL 24 inch touchscreen with Windows 8.1 in Parallels Desktop on my iMac. The Acer monitor is Windows Device Pointer compliant and uses USB to send Windows Device Pointer data to the operating system. Unfortunately touch input does not work so well in Windows 8.1 in VirtualBox on my Ubuntu HP Envy laptop with a built-in touchscreen. Sad but true.