Importing OVF created with VirtualBox into VMware

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Schroeber

Importing OVF created with VirtualBox into VMware

Post by Schroeber »

Hey guys, I was hoping someone out there can help me with my issue.

I've got an OVF for an Oracle PeopleSoft Appliance that I'm trying to import into a VMware environment running ESX 5.5. I've successfully performed the import previously, but the latest one I've received I've had issues with. Regardless of what I do, I keep getting the following error trying to do the import:

"Error uploading file. Capacity of uploaded disk is larger than requested"

I believe the OVF was created using VirtualBox 4.3.8 (but I can't verify), as the release notes for the appliance have the following:

IMPORTANT! You must use Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.8 (or higher) for this PeopleSoft Update Image. Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.8 is a maintenance release of VirtualBox 4.3 and is required for this PeopleSoft Update Image

I guess my biggest question is did something change in the OVF format that VirtualBox uses in 4.3.8? I know the previous appliances I got were built using VirtualBox as well, but what version I have no idea. The OVF does import successfully into VirtualBox, but being an open format, I would hope everyone would open the files the same way.

I've got a case open with VMware to look at things from their side, but I have the feeling that they're just going to point to a problem with VirtualBox and walk away.

Any suggestions out there would be appreciated. I'd prefer not to have to set up another server just to run VirtualBox for this one appliance in my environment, especially since I've got this to work plenty of times before...
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Importing OVF created with VirtualBox into VMware

Post by Perryg »

I did some work with the peoplesoft folks and if they say 4.3.8 or better that is going to be a requirement that you need to adhere to.
As for why it fails in another virtualizer you need to stick with their support. They are the only ones that will have the proper answer.
Schroeber

Post by Schroeber »

That fine. I can understand the vendor wanting you to use "their" VM solution for their own product. But I think this is a bigger issue. With more testing, I'm not able to import any OVFs that I export from VirtualBox into either VMware or Hyper-V using 4.3.8. OVF is an open format, and I'd like to be able to use an open format to migrate between platforms if required.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If there is some problem with the OVF output by VirtualBox then please be explicit about what the problem is. Expressing your problem in terms of other applications that we don't support doesn't really cut the mustard. You need to refer only to the VBox output and the OVF standard.
mattm

Post by mattm »

Was there ever any resolution to this issue? We are seeing similar results trying to import PeopleSoft images into VMware.

Matt
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There has been no issue demonstrated in the thread above.

If, like the OP, you have a problem using VMWare, then the best place to ask about that is the VMWare forums. If their support points out an error in the OVF output from the current VirtualBox version (4.3.10), then do let us know.