[Solved] Error VERR_SVM_IN_USE

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VGuillermo

[Solved] Error VERR_SVM_IN_USE

Post by VGuillermo »

Hello, today I have installed the last version of Oracle VM Virtualbox ( Oracle VM Virtualbox v4.3.10 r93012 for Windows Hosts). Before this, I was working with Oracle VM Virtualbox v4.1.4 r74291. I had created several Virtual Machines with the old version of Virtualbox ( v4.1.4) and they were working OK. After installing the new version I try to start any Virtual Machine and I always get the same error:

AMD-V is being used by another hypervisor. (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).

VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please close all other virtualization programs. (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).

Código Resultado: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Componente: Console
Interfaz: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

I can´t start any Virtual Machine. My Host OS is Windows XP x64 Edition.

Could anyone help me solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Guillermo
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error VERR_SVM_IN_USE

Post by mpack »

VGuillermo

Post by VGuillermo »

Hello, here is the information you have requested.

Version of Virtualbox I'm using: Oracle VM Virtualbox v4.3.10 r93012 for Windows Hosts
Host OS: Windows XPx64 Edition SP2
Physical RAM Installed: 4096 MB
Guest OS: Windows 7 Enterprise x86
Guest allocated RAM in the Virtual Machine: 1024 MB
VBox Guest Additions are installed on the Guest

You can find attached the log file for the Guest. I have uploaded the log file for one of the Virtual Machines I had created using Oracle VM Virtualbox v4.1.4 r74291. I insist, all the virtual Machines were working OK with the old version of Virtualbox. The problem came after installing the new version ( v4.3.10 r93012 ). I always get the same error (the error message reported before) when trying to start any of my Virtual Machines.

In addition, I have created a new Virtual Machine using the new version of Virtualbox ( the currently installed version: v4.3.10 r93012) and after creating the Virtual Disk Image file and configuring the settings (General, System, Screen/Video, Disk, Audio, Network, USB, etc...), when I try to start the Virtual Machine in order to install the Guest OS I always get the same error as reported before.

Let me know if you need any more information about the problem.

Thank you,

Guillermo.
Attachments
VirtualPCW7x86LOG.rar
(38.17 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your host is stated as:
00:00:00.812817 OS Product: Windows 2003
Your guest is stated as:
00:00:01.065673 Guest OS type: 'Windows7'
00:00:01.068425 fHMForced=true - 64-bit guest
The problem as you stated is:
00:00:02.071871 VMSetError: AMD-V is being used by another hypervisor.
  • 64-bit guests need hardware virtualization enabled in the host's BIOS (which means that you have to enable VT-x/AMD-V in your BIOS). Look at your user-manual for your specific model on how to do this. Most probably you already have this enabled.
  • When creating the 64-bit guest VM you must select 64-bit variant of the OS (VM Settings -> General -> Basic -> Version).
  • If another virtualization program is running and not "cooperating" you must disable it or uninstall it (see example below).
  • If running Windows as host you must make sure Hyper-V or XP-mode is not enabled on the host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VGuillermo

Post by VGuillermo »

Than you for your help, socratis.

I have disabled the option, Configuration Settings->System->Acceleration->Virtualization HW: Enable VT-x/AMD-v , in all my Virtual Machines and now they all start and work OK. The surprising/curious thing is that this option was enabled in all my Virtual Machines and they all worked OK using the old version of Virtualbox (v4.1.4). Now, with the new version (v4.3.10) I need to disable this option for them to work.

Guillermo.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VGuillermo wrote:I have disabled the option, Configuration Settings->System->Acceleration->Virtualization HW: Enable VT-x/AMD-v
That may help your current VMs because they have no need for VT-x/AMD-v, but if you install any 64-bit guest, this will be a problem. What you did is a workaround, not a true solution. Read again my previous post. Based on the fact that your host is Win2003, you either have Hyper-V enabled (Control Panel, Windows features, Hyper-V: enabled), or you have XP-mode enabled. Unless you need them for something else, you could disable them and gain performance in your VMs by enabling VT-x/AMD-v.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VGuillermo

Post by VGuillermo »

Hello again, Socratis.

I have tried every possibility you suggested in your first post:

a) HW Virtualization support is enabled in my BIOS.

b) Regarding Hyper-V or XP Mode, to tell you the truth this was the first time I heard from these MS programs so I´ve been reading a bit about them. Regarding Hyper-V, this is a SW that is available for Win Server 2008 and later versions. Since my Host OS is Win XP Pro x64 Version 2003 SP2 (it is NOT Win Server 2003), it is impossible that Hyper-V is installed/running in my PC. Besides, I've checked the list of currently installed programs and Hyper-V is not in the list. Regarding XP Mode, this is a MS program designed to be able to run Win XP based programs in Windows 7 OS. It is installed and used together with MS Virtualization Program ( MS Virtual PC). Again, since my OS is Win XP it is impossible that XP Mode is installed and running in my PC. It is not in the list of currently installed programs either.

c) The last possibility was that any other Virtualization program was installed/running in my PC. VMWare for Workstation was also installed in my computer, so I decided to uninstall it, as I rarely used it. After that I restarted my PC but I still keep getting the same error message as reported in my first post, whenever I try to start any of my VMs with the option VT-x/AMD-V enabled. Now, there is no other virtualization program installed in my computer, but Virtualbox.

I have uploaded the log file of my most recently created VM, just in case this can help.
Attachments
PCVirtualW7x64LOG.rar
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I wouldn't know what more to tell you. Your points are all correct. I've done a search for "VERR_SVM_IN_USE" and there are several reports about (mainly) AMD-based systems that exhibit this behavior. Maybe somewhere in there lies the solution?

Check especially ticket #5639 where they talk about a workaround for systems that they cannot update their faulty BIOS. Read the whole ticket since they suggest caution (it may crash your host). Not sure if it applies to your system. Otherwise, you should head to the bugtracker and either search for an appropriate bug where you'll attach your logs and other vital information, or open a new bug report.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The error is SVM_IN_USE, so it could either be other VM software running, or something like a debugger etc.

XP 64bit was quite a rare beast, so it's also possible that there's a bug related to this platform though I've not heard of one. Ditto if it's an early AMD 64bit CPU.

Regarding other VM software: having the other software installed is not a problem, it's only having it running which causes is a problem, if the other software uses VT-x/AMD-v. Hyper-v is a common case in later Win64 versions because Windows installs a service which runs by default.
VGuillermo

Post by VGuillermo »

Hello again, after investigating throughout the reported bugs with error VERR_SVM_IN_USE I found that the recommended action was upgrading the BIOS. That's what I've done and finally the problem has been solved. So, I think this topic can be closed.

Thank you all for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great! Would you mind changing the original post's title to "[SOLVED] ..." so that the rest of the community can benefit as well from your findings? TIA.
Mombeini

Re: [Solved] Error VERR_SVM_IN_USE

Post by Mombeini »

AMD-V is being used by another hypervisor (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).
VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please close all other virtualization programs. (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
i need help .
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Error VERR_SVM_IN_USE

Post by mpack »

It seems that you have the same issue as the OP, in which case the conversation we already completed should also apply to you. I.e. disable Hyper-v.