Complete list of hotkeys, please

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
bj.8.trades

Complete list of hotkeys, please

Post by bj.8.trades »

When I forgot what the key was, to access the VM Manage menu from full screen guest, I looked all over (in the help/docs and forums) and couldn't find it, nor any complete list of VirtualBox guest hotkeys. I had to edit the main XML file and remove the word, "remindAboutGoingFullscreen", from the GUI/SuppressMessages setting, so I could see the reminder again.

Could you please put a complete page of hokeys in the help file and manual, and post a list in reply here as well?

Or, just tell me how I'm a blind idiot, they're all listed right <insert obvious location>!!! :oops:

Thanks for an awesome product!
BJ
PS. Why doesn't search work in the Windows Host compiled help file (v1.5.4)?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Hmm, the manual will not contain the host key combinations since they may be different with different localization settings. To get a complete list you should open then GUI menu and look at the menu entries, the shortcut is appended to the menu entry.

Regarding the missing search function: We don't generate a .chi file. Any hints how to do this?
bj.8.trades

Post by bj.8.trades »

Frank Mehnert wrote:Hmm, the manual will not contain the host key combinations since they may be different with different localization settings. To get a complete list you should open then GUI menu and look at the menu entries, the shortcut is appended to the menu entry.
The particular key (VBox guest manage/control menu in full-screen mode), which triggered my suggestion posting, is not listed in the non-full-screen menu. In order to see the menu in full-screen mode, you'd have to remember the key, which you wouldn't need the reminder for even if it was listed in that menu -- which it isn't! :lol:

Seems to me that if the manual isn't going to have a full hotkey list for the reason you gave, it wouldn't list any hotkeys. My manual, for example, lists the hotkey for going in/out of seamless mode, at least. That was off the top of my head -- I'm sure there are many other cases.
Regarding the missing search function: We don't generate a .chi file. Any hints how to do this?
Not me, but I'm sure this question is directed at the general forum audience? :wink:

Thanks!
svenks

Post by svenks »

Hi guys,
I strongly second that!
A simple hotkey overview is all you need. I just spent ½hour shutting down VM's and editing the main XML, just because I couldn't remember host+HOME....

BRGDS
Sven Sorensen
Denmark
dmcgraw
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu 9.10

Post by dmcgraw »

I have to agree about the need for a list of hotkeys.

First let me say that VB is a fantastic product. Since I found it, I have deleted all my old VMware VMs. I see many people posting problems on here. Now I have only used it for about a month and only so far on an XP host with Ubuntu and Suse VMs. The only problems I have encountered have to do with folder sharing. And this has generally been solved by reinstalling the Guest Additions. I was even able to get Suse 11.0 to install with Guest Additions.

However, the first day I was using VB, I could not get a VM out of full screen mode. Even searching the help and on the Internet, I could not find the correct key. RCtrl-F in my case. I ended up powering off the VM to be able to find the list of hotkeys.

So again, VB is a great product. But it would be nice if the hotkeys were documented somewhere.

Dave
Pysis

Re: Complete list of hotkeys, please

Post by Pysis »

Old post but the top hit in Google, so I want to add this information.

Using VirtualBox 5 right now.

Going to File > Preferences (Ctrl+G), then select the Input section, contains 2 tabs: VirtualBox Manager, and Virtual Machine.
Each pane contains a concise list of all of the actions possible for both, and shortcuts that are, or can be assigned to each.

Hopefully this is the list of hotkeys all-in-one-place that you were looking for, I know it was for me!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Complete list of hotkeys, please

Post by socratis »

Yes. Way too old of a post, more than 8 years. Locking it since all the information it contains is way, way outdated.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.