Folder sharing - Mac - OS X Host / Guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Axeros

Folder sharing - Mac - OS X Host / Guest

Post by Axeros »

I'm running Snow Leopard as a VirtualBox guest vm from OS X Mavericks on my Mac. It works fine for my purposes, which is to use my Epson scanner for which Epson currently has no Mavericks drivers. The only problem I have is sharing files - I cannot figure out how to access the shared folder from Mac OS X guest system, or even if it is supported. At the moment I have to copy files on to a USB drive from the guest, then access them from the host. It works, but isn't elegant. Can someone please clarify file sharing for me on this setup? (If this is clearly documented somewhere, my apologies, I couldn't find it).
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Re: Folder sharing - Mac - OS X Host / Guest

Post by rpmurray »

Do it the same way you'd share files on two physical Macs. Turn on file sharing on the host (System Preferences) and share a folder. On the guest, in the Finder, under the Go menu choose Connect to Server and connect to the shared folder on the host.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

To be clear: there are no official Guest Additions for OS X guests, hence no GA shared folders (the simple kind configured in VM settings), therefore you must use normal network shared folders.
Axeros

Post by Axeros »

rpmurray wrote:Do it the same way you'd share files on two physical Macs. Turn on file sharing on the host (System Preferences) and share a folder. On the guest, in the Finder, under the Go menu choose Connect to Server and connect to the shared folder on the host.
Great, thanks, that works fine.
Axeros

Post by Axeros »

mpack wrote:To be clear: there are no official Guest Additions for OS X guests, hence no GA shared folders (the simple kind configured in VM settings), therefore you must use normal network shared folders.
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.
GBro
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Insiders Preview 15063 (fails startup in full screen)

Post by GBro »

How did you get the SL Server guest working ? I have a late 2009 iMac running 10.8.5. I've never succeeded in getting SL Server to install and work in a VM so, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Garry
Axeros

Post by Axeros »

I'm just using the standard Snow Leopard, not the server version. I installed it a couple of years ago when I first setup VirtualBox on my Mac (I was mainly interested in a WinXP vm). I don't remember having any problems as such installing a Snow Leopard vm. There wasn't much real reason for me to use it until Epson failed to supply Mavericks drivers. It runs just fine.
temach

Post by temach »

Hello, sort of a noob question,

How do you find the IP address of your host if I want to connect to it? I understand what you mean by Finder -> Connect to Server but how can I figure out the number that goes there?

frustrating.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

First of all, I would open the connection from the Host to the VM, not the other way around (security reasons).

Second, there are two ways that you can find your VMs IP address:
1) From the System Preferences -> Network -> (select the interface you're interested in) -> Advanced... -> TCP/IP -> IPv4 address.
2) From the terminal, type "ifconfig" and look at the interface that you're interested in.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
temach

Post by temach »

thanks,
Something still does not work though. I turn on "file sharing" on both host and guest (just in case), then on host I go Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server. And enter this: "afp://10.0.2.15" which looks like it should do the trick. But instead it complains that there is no such server or that it is unavailable.
I have my host wifi off, if that matters.

I got it to work once yesterday. But I connected the host to an external router, and connected from VM to the host. So very different. And I used an external network.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, I see. You are using the "NAT" mode which does NOT allow for host-guest communication, only internet access. If you want to talk between the two, either change the mode to "Host-only" (address will be 192.168.56.# by default), or if you want to access the internet from your guest and have a DHCP server in your network, change it to Bridged. Finally a third option would be to have two network cards in your guest. #1 in NAT mode and #2 in Host-only mode.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.