The application "iphlpsvc.dll" needs to be closed for the in

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FirewallEngineer

The application "iphlpsvc.dll" needs to be closed for the in

Post by FirewallEngineer »

I’m having a problem to install “VirtualBox-4.3.4-91027-Win.exe” in Windows 7 host.
Please let me know is there any way to fix this issue.

Error Message:
The application “iphlpsvc.dll” needs to be closed for the installation to continue.

Installer:
VirtualBox-4.3.4-91027-Win.exe

More Info:
http://firewallengineer.wordpress.com/2 ... -continue/
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: The application "iphlpsvc.dll" needs to be closed for th

Post by scottgus1 »

I've installed Virtualbox on three Windows 7 hosts and haven't seen that message.
Try a reboot of the host, and try right-clicking the Virtualbox installer and Run As Administrator.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

On Windows hosts, VirtualBox setup uses a standard MSI installer. I expect it's actually MSI that has a problem with that DLL, and not really VirtualBox - despite the caption that MSI puts on the dialog.

Wild guess: MSI wants to install the VBox bridging service onto each NIC present, but for some reason can't until that DLL is unloaded (searching says that this DLL is related to the IPv6-over-IPv4 service of Vista and later). Perhaps it can't unload it because you have an internet browser window open?
FirewallEngineer

scottgus1 wrote:I've installed Virtualbox on three Windows 7 hosts and haven't seen that message.
Try a reboot ofthe host, and try right-clicking the Virtualbox installer and Run As Administrator.
Thanks scottgus1 for your reply. I've tried that but don’t work.
Reboot the host
Uninstall
Reboot the host again
Install (run as administrator)
Reboot the host again
Still doesn’t work
I’ve also downloaded the latest version of virtualbox and reinstall it but don’t work as well.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 06-Win.exe

This error message pop up twice, then I clicked ok twice, VirtualBox installed successfully. But the problem is I still can’t see the host network interface created on VirtualBox. Normally it will be created automatically.

Therefore, I’ve tried to create it manually but was getting the following error.
Failed to create the host network interface.
Result Code: E_FAIL (0×80004005)
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe list hostonlyifs

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage hostonlyif create
0%…
Progress state: E_FAIL
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code E_FAIL (0×80004005) – Unspecified error (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: “int __cdecl handleCreate(struct HandlerArg *,int,int *)” at line 66 of file VBoxManageH
ostonly.cpp

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59294
http://firewallengineer.wordpress.com/2 ... interface/
FirewallEngineer

mpack wrote:On Windows hosts, VirtualBox setup uses a standard MSI installer. I expect it's actually MSI that has a problem with that DLL, and not really VirtualBox - despite the caption that MSI puts on the dialog.

Wild guess: MSI wants to install the VBox bridging service onto each NIC present, but for some reason can't until that DLL is unloaded (searching says that this DLL is related to the IPv6-over-IPv4 service of Vista and later). Perhaps it can't unload it because you have an internet browser window open?
Thanks mpack for your advice. I’ve been searching in the internet before I post the problem here and found that article related to MSI issue. I’ve also tried that but don’t work too.

I’ve closed all the application during the installation but still getting this error message.

Even though I managed to install it after clicking OK twice, but the host-network still not created.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

There is something odd going on here. That DLL will be in every Windows Vista/Win7/Win8 OS and the related service running. What is odd about yours that upsets the installer is really the question.

Since it is an IP related service I am not surprised that ignoring the warning results in problems with the host only adapter setup.
Bill
prateek sachan

Post by prateek sachan »

Just close the IP Helper service before uninstall or install. It should be fine.
iphelperservice.jpg
iphelperservice.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 18983 times