The installation Failed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JO.B

The installation Failed

Post by JO.B »

I had install VB 4.3.0 ... then i decided to update the version to 4.3.2 .. and the installation failed

then i removed the VB 4.3.0 :) to do a fresh installation of VB 4.3.2, and the problem still there.

I am running Mac OS X 10.9 .. latest iMac 3.4GHz i7

msg i get on the screen:

! THE INSTALLATION FAILED.
the installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance.

- I have removed all posible files
- I have re-donwload the .dmg files several times

NO LUCK

HELPS please i need VB . thank you in advance
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: The installation Failed

Post by mpack »

That error message is remarkably useless. Please post a picture to make sure you aren't missing any details.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mpack wrote:That error message is remarkably useless. Please post a picture to make sure you aren't missing any details.
It is a useless error message and is really all that is said. I got the same message when I tried to update VB on a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro running OS 10.9. Ultimately, I got the install to work by running the uninstall script provided on the upgrade .dmg and restarting my computer. When I ran the installer again, it installed correctly, but through up these warnings.
Install_Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_and_VirtualBox.png
Install_Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_and_VirtualBox.png (25.74 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Install_Oracle_VM_VirtualBox-2.png
Install_Oracle_VM_VirtualBox-2.png (31.73 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

They're only warnings. The developers are aware of this issue.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

KevinS, are you also the OP or is this a confirmation from another user?
DLearner

Post by DLearner »

I earlier had Lion in which VBox was running successfully later, I Updated to Latest OS X 10.9 in which VBox was disabled then i removed vbox using an application Appcleaner which removes all application related files, but when I reinstalled the latest version application got installed but when I tried to click on .pkg icon it pops up the application script unable to find out whats wrong, please help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DLearner wrote:VBox was disabled
Why? Who or what disabled VBox?
DLearner wrote:i removed vbox using an application Appcleaner which removes all application related files
Mount the "VBox-zzz.dmg" and execute the "Uninstall.sh" script. It should remove (almost) everything vital.
DLearner wrote:when I reinstalled the latest version application got installed but when I tried to click on .pkg icon it pops up the application script unable to find out whats wrong, please help.
Could you be a little bit more specific? Did you get an error? Can you describe it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

We seem to have three separate issues being discussed in this thread. Please keep to the OPs subject, or start your own topic.
DLearner

Post by DLearner »

Sorry for replying late, no i got no error but when i click on virtualbox.pkg icon i get this scripted page.
Attachments
phphqFrUcAM.jpg
phphqFrUcAM.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
phpVNDh39AM.jpg
phpVNDh39AM.jpg (54.81 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

DLearner wrote:Sorry for replying late, no i got no error but when i click on virtualbox.pkg icon i get this scripted page.
You should do md5- or sha1-verify of the downloaded image
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

It looks like the default app to open packages has been set to something other than Installer.app. Have you tried right-clicking (control-click) on the file and using Open With to select Installer.app?
potterly

Post by potterly »

I'm on Mac OSX 10.8.5 and tried to install VirtualBox 4.3.4 (Build: VirtualBox-4.3.4-91027-OSX). I encountered same error as reported by the OP

The installation seemed to proceed as usual, however at the very end of the process this error message was displayed:

! THE INSTALLATION FAILED.
the installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance.

I have rolled back to VirtualBox 4.3.0 and installation worked fine (for 4.3.0).
JimBushWhack
Guest OSses: Win XP on iMac; Win 7 on MacBook pro + bootcamp

Post by JimBushWhack »

I got this error today when I tried to upgrade from 4.3.0 to 4.3.4 on my MBP running mavericks. I finally got it to install by doing the following:

1). Copy the uninstall tool from the disk image pkg to the desktop.
2). Run the uninstall tool.
3). Reboot.
4). Try install again. This time it worked.

I did have trouble getting the Guest Additions to load, but finally got that installed too, after several tries.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

JimBushWhack wrote:1). Copy the uninstall tool from the disk image pkg to the desktop.
There should be no need for that. You can open Terminal.app and run:

cd /Volumes/VirtualBox/
sudo ./VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

JimBushWhack wrote:1). Copy the uninstall tool from the disk image pkg to the desktop.
Why not just double click on the icon ????