No USB devices in Virtual Box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rowjam

No USB devices in Virtual Box

Post by rowjam »

I am a completely non- technical person and total linux and virtualbox newbie. I am sorry if any of the language I am using is incorrect.

I am running Virtualbox 4.3.2 with Extension pack on Edubuntu 13.10. I'm trying to install a printer on my Windows Vista 64bit guest but I can't get it to print anything. The printer is connected via USB but in Virtual Box Devices it says no USB devices connected. I've double checked using Terminal command vboxmanage list usbhost and that also says <none> for devices. Mouse and keyboard are connected wirelessly via a USB device and they both work fine. USB 2.0 controller is enabled in settings.

Please can anyone offer any advice? If I can't install the printer on VB I will have to uninstall linux and reinstall vista as my main operating system and I really don't want to do that.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: No USB devices in Virtual Box

Post by Perryg »

1) your user name must be in the vboxusers group.
2) you may also need to be in the lp group.
3) mouse and keyboard as shared devices and in no way should you try to attach them to the guest direct. Let VBox take care of that.
rowjam

Post by rowjam »

Thanks Perry. Any chance you could tell me how to do 1) and 2)?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

rowjam

Post by rowjam »

Great. Thanks. I'll give it a go.
rowjam

Post by rowjam »

I think I have added myself to the lp and vbox groups. I went into users and groups, manage groups. My name was in the list so I clicked on it to check the check box. I can no longer get my guest to run. It can't find a setup file and when I run the file in terminal it tells me I don't have permission to run it or even view the log. I'll try and recreate the error so I can show the exact message. Unforunately VB is now crashing.
rowjam

Post by rowjam »

I still haven't figured out how to cut and paste in ubuntu yet so please excuse typos in the error message.

Virtualbox - Error in suplibOsnit
Kernel driver not installed (rc=1908)
The Vitrtualbox linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv.
Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'
as root.

I tried this in terminal and it said permission denied. It won't let me look at the log either.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Did you run the command as sudo?

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
rowjam

Post by rowjam »

Just re ran the command as sudo and all is working again. All USB devices up and running. Thanks.