Attempting an Android guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MykRian

Attempting an Android guest

Post by MykRian »

First post, and new to the VM concept.
I have a Win 7 Host up and running with a Win XP guest. A few things to iron out, but it works well.

I have been trying to install an Android 4.2 or 4.3 guest, but have been running into the same problem with both.
I understand that it needs to be installed as a Linux guest according to viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57296&p and the instructions I have found elsewhere. As installation references I have followed the steps at:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048220/ ... ur-pc.html
and one or 2 other pages that are basically the same instructions.

I run into the same problem every time I try it. I will get to this screen, go to the installation, and run it.

It goes through some steps with text on the screen, which runs too fast for me to pause for a screen shot, and returns to the above screen.
This happens every time I try to install, or run without installation.
I know there is a file you would like to see for troubleshooting, so if someone would tell me the file I need, and where to find it, I'll post it.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Myk
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Attempting an Android guest

Post by mpack »

Have you tried ejecting the installation CD? It's possible that Android is installed, but it will keep booting from the CD as long as it's there.
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Haven't experienced that, and it might be related to the 'virtual' hardware.

Before fighting to get the package installed, you should check if it support wired LAN connection - most packages only support WiFi which Virtualbox doesn't.

Hint: http://www.kirsle.net/blog/kirsle/andro ... virtualbox
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

The .iso I'm using is android-x86-4.3-20130725 and have tried the install from the HD and CD.
No matter how I try it, it does the same thing, which is returning to that screen.
Here is a log file attached.
Attachments
VBoxSVCandroid.rar
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

As referred to above, I will try this file. http://www.kirsle.net/projects/Android/ ... 120130.iso

EDIT: Ok. That one worked. Now to see what I can do with it, if anything at this point.

Thanks
Myk
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

Well, here it is, but, the mouse disappears when moved to the window. Apparently it's setup for touch screen input, although using the tab key gets me around and I was able to access the settings. Now to get the mouse to work, if possible. Oh yeah. Ain't this fun... At least the browser works. :)
Screen2s.jpg
Screen2s.jpg (84.32 KiB) Viewed 16210 times
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

And it never stops. I now have a lock screen upon startup, and no way to swipe it.
At least it's an easy manner to delete the guest and re-install it.
Going to walk away from it for now, and have another stab at it tomorrow.
jorgensen

Post by jorgensen »

You need to have "absolute pointing" disabled - or Disable Mouse Integration (Host-I)
Click inside the guest window will then capture the mouse, and the host key will release the mouse from the WM.
Host-H will shut down the guest.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Android is not a supported guest, so you may well have problems with the way it tries to access things like the mouse. If you Google for past experience then you may find workarounds. Presumably you knew that Android was unsupported before you started, so moans of exasperation ("it never stops") seem misplaced.

I was under the impression you were just trying to see how far you could get, just for the sake of it. I can tell you now that the end result will be rather pointless - there's no real app support out there for x86 Android.
jorgensen

Post by jorgensen »

mpack wrote:there's no real app support out there for x86 Android.
Almost any App can be installed, and even Google Play can be installed and registered as long as there is internet connection.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

jorgensen wrote:Almost any App can be installed
Really? Try downloading Firefox for Android. Or try visiting eBay, Amazon, YouTube or any other complex website. The only thing you can use are pure Dalvik apps (toy apps), and I imagine that even some of those will perform poorly in a VM.
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

mpack wrote: Presumably you knew that Android was unsupported before you started, so moans of exasperation ("it never stops") seem misplaced.
Yes, I was aware of that, and 64 year olds do not come up with "moans of exasperation".
I was under the impression you were just trying to see how far you could get, just for the sake of it
That is correct. Just playin around.
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

jorgensen wrote:You need to have "absolute pointing" disabled - or Disable Mouse Integration (Host-I)
Click inside the guest window will then capture the mouse, and the host key will release the mouse from the WM.
Host-H will shut down the guest.
I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestions.
jorgensen

Post by jorgensen »

mpack wrote:Really? Try downloading Firefox for Android. Or try visiting eBay, Amazon, YouTube or any other complex website. The only thing you can use are pure Dalvik apps (toy apps), and I imagine that even some of those will perform poorly in a VM.
I use the Dolphin browser and no problem with sites, except the ones that use flash like YouTube.
Google Play does not let me install Firefox, and I don't care because it drains the unit for resources.
Of course there is a problem with apps that use hardware acceleration which Virtualbox doesn't support.
There are several Android units on the market that use the x86 processor such as Asus Memo.
MykRian

Post by MykRian »

I wonder if sideloading Flash ver.11 would work. It has on my Android phone, but not with the Chrome browser.