Smart Phones in Windows 7 via remote RDP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gwardell
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, DOS, Windows XP

Smart Phones in Windows 7 via remote RDP

Post by gwardell »

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this now that I got it working.

I previously had my USB setup according to this tutorial. Actually I had it setup before reading but I verified that it was all correct with the tutorial.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55483

I found I was able to connect to the phone using MyPhoneExplorer when running a guest session for the local desktop but not when running a desktop from a remote machine, which is the way I like to work since it provides a better experience.

After some research I found that the behavior is somewhat by design, that is you can't access some local devices from an RDP connection.

But there is a way around it. By adding the /admin switch to the RDP client it connects like the user is local. This is primarily for administrative purposes. The shortcut looks like this:
C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe /v:win7-delphi-xe5 /admin

Where the /v: parameter specifies the network machine name.
Once the RDP window is open you can pin a shortcut to the task bar or the start menu and it will continue to use the /admin switch to connect.

Hope this helps someone.

Gary
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Smart Phones in Windows 7 via remote RDP

Post by mpack »

Thanks for that info. If you don't mind then I'd like to attach your note to the tutorial?
gwardell
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 7, DOS, Windows XP

Post by gwardell »

hi,

Sure, go ahead. I realize it's not very complete and just gives a tip as to how to go about it.

Since I posted it I had the USP connection drop once and unplugging and replugging the phone brought it up again.

I'm also very new to Virtual Box and since I didn't see anyone that talked about this specific issue I thought I'd share what I found out.

Oh, my configuration is:

Windows 7 Professional Host.
Windows 7 Professional Guest
Virtual Box 4.2.16
Phone Motorola Droid X (MB810) connected to the Host

The host is basically functioning as a server.

My workstation is also a Windows 7 Professional which is running the RDP client.

Thanks,

Gary
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Done, thanks again.
virtualizationnoob

Post by virtualizationnoob »

Thanks, this is helpful.

(Sorry to post in an old thread but I have to post somewhere because it's not letting me post a topic without having one post and being active for one day because it thinks my topic has URLs in it even though it clearly doesn't.)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

virtualizationnoob wrote:(Sorry to post in an old thread but I have to post somewhere because it's not letting me post a topic without having one post and being active for one day
That's not it (or not all of it). Due to a recent sustained daily deluge of Chinese spam we have been forced to add a new feature whereby the first post from a new user (whether in a new topic or an existing one) must be approved by a moderator. This requires manual action by the moderator and hence may take between a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the time of day. Once the first post has been approve all future posts should be instant.