Kernel fail on Mavericks OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dave the king

Re: Kernel fail on Mavericks OS

Post by dave the king »

Have tried a re-install using both the previous version (4.1) and with the latest (4.3) and have been stuck with this problem each times (Kernal fail when trying to run a vm Linux and Windows)

Anybody have any advice on what I can give a go next
ajmaq

Post by ajmaq »

I fix the problem , Use VB Version 4.2.18 instead... it works fine on Mavericks
thames

Post by thames »

I followed the steps recommended in this discussion and it appeared to fix the problem after the 3rd or 4th re-installation attempt. I'm not sure it was needed, but the problem was not fixed until after I also deleted the info in the Library/Application Support directory and then re-installed.

However, It has since returned again today. It would appear that power-cycling my Mac and/or restarting virtual box manager made the issue return. A clean re-install seems to have resolved it (again).

Note that for my re-install to be successful, I perform the following steps:
move "/Applications/VirtualBox.app" to the trash
move "/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox" to the trash
re-install VirtualBox using VirtualBox-4.3.0-89960-OSX.dmg

Also, note that I keep my VM's in a separate directory, so I'm not touching those during this work-around.
Wolfie B

Post by Wolfie B »

Use the uninstall tool provided in the Virtual Box DMG, rather than just dragging files to the trash. Worked for me, and I've had no problems with Virtual Box since.
digitalprinter03

Post by digitalprinter03 »

The solution is easy to get Virtualbox working with Mavericks Host. Just delete the VM and reinstall it. It then works well.
JanVanderPloeg

Post by JanVanderPloeg »

I was re-installing VB 4.3 every day again, because of the kernel error. But then I stubled upon this actions, wich seem to work for me:

1) sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/VBox*
2) re-install VirtualBox 4.3
putna

Post by putna »

JanVanderPloeg wrote:I was re-installing VB 4.3 every day again, because of the kernel error. But then I stubled upon this actions, wich seem to work for me:

1) sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/VBox*
2) re-install VirtualBox 4.3
After multiple failures of 4.3 installation on OS X Maverics this was the solution that worked for me.
Installation went without issues. :D
TheKing

Post by TheKing »

Guys! let try this command:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh restart

it will work.