Windows 8 Host, CentOS Install Reboot Crashing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Twill

Windows 8 Host, CentOS Install Reboot Crashing

Post by Twill »

Hi,

I've been trying to get this working for what I believe to be the second day now.

I previously installed VirtualBox on a HP laptop running Windows 7 and the guest OS is CentOs 6.3 32bit. It worked flawlessly, no issues.

I purchased a new laptop which has windows 8 64bit installed.

During installation, when the Guest OS (CentOs 6.3 32bit) requires a reboot in the first part of the installation process, I get "Oracle Virtual Box Manager Has Stopped Working". When I restart the virtual machine, I can continue the process but can never get past the Enabling/Disabling of Kdump in the last part of the setup process. It constantly crashes with the above error message, when I hit finish.

If I set the memory to 2/3GB so its possible to enable kdump, once I click finish and the dialog pops up stating a reboot is required. Hitting Yes, No causes a crash again.

A little while ago, I used the iso I have of CentOs 6.3 (the iso was written to disc for the Win8 installation) to install the exact same way with the exact some specification on my desktop running Windows 7 64bit. No crashes, I think this may be a windows 8 issue. Setting the program to run in Windows 7 Compatibility does not fix the issue.

Guest additions is not installed.

1024 MB Ram is allocated
64 Mb Video Memory
1 processor
VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, PAE/NX
No hardware acceleration enabled

Is this just a windows 8 issue?
Attachments
CentOS-2013-02-12-12-27-16.log
(53.52 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 8 Host, CentOS Install Reboot Crashing

Post by mpack »

What happens if you enable the IO-APIC?

... though I regard that as a long shot. My interpretation of the log is that the BIOS doesn't think there is a bootable partition on the primary hard disk. I've seen that before when users have been using Linux in evaluation mode off the CD, and never actually installed it properly. I see no evidence that you have an ISO mounted in the VM. It looks like you mounted host drive D: instead.
Twill

Post by Twill »

Yes, I burned the iso to DVD and ran the installation from the DVD using Host drive D as you have said.

IO-APIC did not make any changes. With this option enabled and setting the processor count to 2 cpu's also did not make any difference.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, the log isn't telling me much more than I've mentioned. There are no errors, it just doesn't find anything in the CD/DVD drive, and the hard disk is not bootable.
Twill

Post by Twill »

Ok, I will copy the iso on to the laptop and try another installation. Though, it does boot from the hard disk once the initial crash happens. Just I can't get no further than the kdump screen.

----

In my initial post, I stated I went through the installation process on my desktop with the same configuration.

Well, I copied the Vm folder across the network to my VirtualBox Vms folder on my Windows 8 laptop and added the VM via the VirtualBox Manager. This now loads me in to CentOs as one would assume (being that the installation process worked fine on the desktop machine).

Though, it seems that the issue must lie in the rebooting or shutdown of the guest OS, as initiating either makes VirtualBox "Stop Working".

I would ideally like to try and help solve this issue as it could arise for other users and may potentially occur if I decide to try and install other OSes on this machine in the future.

Also, I have tried;

Removing Floppy from Boot Order.
Disabling Networking
Disabling Audio
Deselecting Acceleration of VT-x etc and trying different combos.

I've also completed a windows update and re-installed VirtualBox.

The laptop spec is
Core i5-3210M
6GB Ram - Shared Graphics
Win 8 64bit
Twill

Post by Twill »

Further observation using the VDI from the desktop. It seems that rebooting or shutting down the Guest OS from the login prompt works fine. Logging in to KDE and shutting down the vm or rebooting it causes the "Stopped Working" crash issue.

I'm installing a new CentOS vm from iso as I type this. I will report my findings once installation has completed.
Twill

Post by Twill »

There is no difference, the same issue occurs when installing from an iso.
Twill

Post by Twill »

Further observation using the VDI from the desktop. It seems that rebooting or shutting down the Guest OS from the login prompt works fine. Logging in to KDE and shutting down the vm or rebooting it causes the "Stopped Working" crash issue.
The above is incorrect. It crashes on logout, restart/reboot, and shutdown.
Twill

Post by Twill »

I could not resolve this issue. I uninstalled VirtualBox and now use VMware Player, which works fine on my laptop.

Best Regards.
ryanc

Post by ryanc »

I had the same issue, I fixed it by shutting down the vm than going to Settings->System and moving up Hard disk to the first on the Boot Order list than I restarted the vm and it was able to finish the initial boot.
ekerazha

Post by ekerazha »

It's always the same unfixed bug https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12181