VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
vic

VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Post by vic »

Hello,

can someone tell me where I can download the VirtualBox Guest Additions iso file?

Thanks.
Paul Abrahams

Look under Devices

Post by Paul Abrahams »

The guest additions are actually included (invisibly) in the binary package. You get at them by choosing Install Guest Additions from the Devices menu. You then install them by mounting the Guest Additions iso file, which will show up in the list of available images. As far as I know, the Guest Additions aren't available separately and don't need to be.

I had the very same question that you did, and I'll bet many others do also.
vic

Re: Look under Devices

Post by vic »

Paul Abrahams wrote:The guest additions are actually included (invisibly) in the binary package. You get at them by choosing Install Guest Additions from the Devices menu. You then install them by mounting the Guest Additions iso file, which will show up in the list of available images. As far as I know, the Guest Additions aren't available separately and don't need to be.

I had the very same question that you did, and I'll bet many others do also.
You are right Paul, the iso file is included with the installation.

Thanks a lot.
apogarte

guest additions / vboxmanage

Post by apogarte »

hi

just a (poor) detail : ho do i give VirtualBox the infos about where to find guestadditions.iso (wich seems to be installed in the /usr/share/virtualbox folder...)
I tried to start "VboxManage', no successs...

anybody will help ? Sorry to be so bad ...

And thanks !
I
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: guest additions / vboxmanage

Post by Sasquatch »

apogarte wrote:hi

just a (poor) detail : ho do i give VirtualBox the infos about where to find guestadditions.iso (wich seems to be installed in the /usr/share/virtualbox folder...)
I tried to start "VboxManage', no successs...

anybody will help ? Sorry to be so bad ...

And thanks !
I
Start a VM from the GUI, then click on the menu "Devices" and then "Installed Guest Additions". The ISO get's mounted automatically.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
kcnnc

Post by kcnnc »

How can this be done on the commandline?
zaratzara

Post by zaratzara »

Hi, I thought I would bump this rather than raise the issue again seeing as I have the same original question: Where can the iso be downloaded?

Whether it be from bad indexing or whatnot, I simply cannot find it via Google.

I know it should already be somewhere on my system - I installed VirtualBox OSE from the Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex multiverse via Adept - but when I attempt to install guest additions from the menu within the guest machine, I get the following prompt:

VirtualBox - Question
Could not find the VirtualBox Guest Additions CD image file /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso or /usr/lib/virtualbox/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.
Do you want to download this CD image from the Internet?

Which seems to anticipate the problem well enough. However, when I chose the obvious 'yes', I get this next prompt:

VirtualBox - Question
Are you sure youwant to dowload the VirtualBox Guest Additions CD image from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _2.0.4.iso (size 0 bytes)?

Sure enough, when requested this URL returns 404. In fact, cutting down one level of specification at a time, it returns 404s right up until I get to http://download.virtualbox.org, which gives me <HTML><BODY>.</BODY></HTML>.

I'm perplexed as to how I got this build without the guest additions, but I'm even more perplexed as to why it isn't made easily available.

Surely the .iso must be somewhere on the virtualbox.org repository?
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

zaratzara, welcome to our forum. You might want to take this opportunity to browse the Forum Posting Guide. This contains some useful tips on how to search for VBox knowledge, etc.

There are two different Editions of VBox: PUEL and OSE. PUEL has a lot richer functionality but is available from proprietory Sun repositories. The GA are bundled this as an ISO. In the OSE version the GA are typically available as a separate virtualbox-ose-modules package.

Don't mix these. Use PEUL GA with the PUEL host package etc.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
zaratzara

Post by zaratzara »

TerryE,

Thanks for this - I had been using the OSE, which kind of explains the lack of dice.

The iso is a 20-odd meg file immediately inside all the packages provided by VirtualBox here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

If you use a standard PEUL install such as a Debian deb, then you'll also find a copy in the package.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
zaratzara

Post by zaratzara »

TerryE, cheers — that's what I was referring to. I uninstalled OSE and decided to go with the PUEL, where I found the ISO immediately inside the DEB package available at the URL listed. Thanks for the pointers!
The MAZZTer
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Chromium OS, Windows

Post by The MAZZTer »

The ISO link above works for me. I guess someone ninja-slipped it back in there after reading this topic? lol
pgowdy
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows 2003 Server

Re: VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Post by pgowdy »

I just updated to the latest version of VBox (3.0.6) from the previous version. After the update my Windows 2003 guest image could no longer load because vbox said it could not find VboxGuestAdditions.iso. At first I panicked and cursed. Then I saw that after the update VBoxGuestAdditions.iso has been moved to a different folder as compared to where it used to be (when my guest image was created). The new location of the iso file is (on my Windows system) "c:\Program Files\Sun\VirtualBox\". But my guest image expected the iso to be in "c:\Program Files\Sun\XVM VirtualBox\". So I was able to resolve the issue by simply recreating that "XVM VirtualBox" folder and copying the iso image to there. Now everything seems to be working fine. Hope this helps someone.
pgowdy
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows 2003 Server

Post by pgowdy »

OF course, the alternative to my previous post is to install directly into a "c:\Program Files\Sun\XVM VirtualBox\" folder instead of what appears to be the new default install location of "c:\Program Files\Sun\VirtualBox\".
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

A simply much better solution was to remove the GA from the Media Manager. When you want to install the GA again, it gets registered automatically if you use the menu option.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.