BSOD when connecting USB devices

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
axellaf

BSOD when connecting USB devices

Post by axellaf »

Hello,
I am using a virtualbox 4.2.16 ( I have had this issue for quite some time and also experienced it with 4.1 and prior versions, was hoping 4.2 would resolve the issue for me but no luck). Windows 7 host, backtrack 5 guest (although also experienced this with other guests including bt3 and xp). Whenever I try to connect any type of usb device like a usb wifi dongle or usb external hard drive to by virtualbox guest I get a blue screen of death from windows that points to VBoxUSBMon.sys - as the culprit. Tried replacing the file, uninstalling and reinstalling virtualbox, installing different versions of host, reinstalling usb drivers (and installing different versions as well), and a few other things that escape me at the moment. Virtualbox is awesome software, but of limited use if I can't use usb with it. Any ideas? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5522f.jpg
IMG_5522f.jpg (107.43 KiB) Viewed 12855 times
BT5-2013-07-30-22-42-28.log
(49.71 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by mpack on 31. Jul 2013, 10:41, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Replaced excessively large image with smaller one.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: BSOD when connecting USB devices

Post by mpack »

Perhaps you should raise a BugTracker ticket for this, providing details of the BSOD, along with a VM log file of the errant session (right click VM in GUI, select "Show Log"), and it would be good to include a minidump as well (look in C:\Windows\Minidump).
axellaf

Post by axellaf »

Attached VM session log to original post. Minidump folder was empty i'll have to reproduce the issue tomorrow to get a minidump to add. Bugtracker ticket? where do I go for that? Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You go to the BugTracker site. It's another Oracle site so your OSSO login will work, you'll have to pick a nickname on first login.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

mpack wrote:You go to the BugTracker site. It's another Oracle site so your OSSO login will work, you'll have to pick a nickname on first login.
Minidump folder was empty? You are talking about a BSOD on the host, right? It would have to be, to involve the USB monitor.
axellaf

Post by axellaf »

Yes BSOD on the host, couldn't get bsod on the guest anyway since it's backtrack... Reproduced the issue, Minidump folder still empty (verified that folder options allows hidden files view but nothing's in there).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

On my PC I go to My Computer | Properties | Advanced tab | Startup and Recovery button, and near the bottom of the resulting panel is a "Write Debugging Information" panel with the pulldown menu selecting "Small memory dump (64 KB)", and the path field containing "%SystemRoot%\Minidump".

It would also help if you said what the BSOD code was: if it goes by too fast then the startup and recovery dialog also has an "Automatically restart" (after system failure) checkbox which you should uncheck.
axellaf

Post by axellaf »

Reproduced the issue several times, and double checked that the system settings for memory dumps were set as you suggested, the folder is still empty. I did attach a picture with the bsod error code. Hope that helps. Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please ensure that images are of a reasonable size before you post them, e.g. an image that is likely to fit on a typical screen. Your image is primarily text and doesn't need to be 2560x1600 in size.
 Edit:  I replaced your image with a smaller one.

Anyway, you have a driver verifier fault. Stop code 0xC9. Win7-64 host. I'm noting this primarily for the devs to see.

Parameter 1 is 0x20E, which is not a real bug check, it's more like a warning. The description is "0x20E. Non-fatal error. A PNP IRP has an invalid status. (Any PNP IRP must have its status initialized to STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED.)". 
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As far as I can tell, Driver Verifier is like a Lint tool for driver API calls, and it's optional - so was this something enabled by you?

Howto: Enable/Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 7.
axellaf

Post by axellaf »

Victory! That fixed the issue! I have no idea how that setting was ever turned on... Thanks for all your speedy help! How were you able to see that the error code pointed to Driver Verifier? You know, in the spirit of 'teach a man to fish'... Thanks again. Virtualbox and its team Rock.
PS. Was never able to get a minidump to show in that minidump folder, or anywhere else... looked online for what the issue might be changed the settings multiple times but no luck, looks like that's going to remain a mystery.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

axellaf wrote:How were you able to see that the error code pointed to Driver Verifier?
It's in the text of the error message, i.e. "has detected a violation by a driver that is being verified".
axellaf wrote:PS. Was never able to get a minidump to show in that minidump folder ... looks like that's going to remain a mystery.
Well actually, I see that the error screen also says that it is dumping memory to "disk: 100", whatever that is. I assume it's a network drive, and it also looks non-default. Disk manager can probably tell you what disk 100 is. It may be a null drive.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Oh, wait - I'll bet "disk: 100" just means that it's 100% complete, but they neglected to include the '%' character. In that case you would have to dig to see where the dump is going. It's possible that you don't get a dump when it isn't a real BSOD.