this kernel requires X86-64 and detected an i686 cpu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sheenam

this kernel requires X86-64 and detected an i686 cpu

Post by sheenam »

I have been trying to use Hortonworks sandbox (version 1.2)vm on virtual box (version 4.2.14) on windows 7 64bit os (dell laptop r14) and it gives this error "This kernel requires X86-64 and detected an i686 cpu,unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu". I tried a number of things to resolve the issue,most common answer that I found was to enable vt-x in bios but when I go to setup during boot there is no such option as virtualization technology.besides this I downloaded cctk to configure bios through command line but even that din work. Can anyone please help me????
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: this kernel requires X86-64 and detected an i686 cpu

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. For details see Minimum information needed for assistance.
sheenam

Post by sheenam »

I am attaching the log file here.There are 3 more log files .Do I need to attach all??
Attachments
Hortonworks Sandbox 1.2-2013-07-15-20-15-51.log
one of the log files
(81.17 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Nope, one log is plenty.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for the log.

Well, the bad news is that you seem to be double damned. First, VirtualBox cannot run 64bit VMs without hardware virtualization support in the host, a.k.a. VT-x, and your Intel Pentium P6100 CPU does not support VT-x.

Second, when I look up what on earth "Hortonworks Sandbox" is, there in the system requirements is virtualization support. That means that the sandbox is in effect a VM platform itself which relies on VT-x, and since VirtualBox does not reflect VT-x into the guest it can never work as a VBox VM. VMWare does reflect VT-x into the VM (at least in some versions), but that's moot since your CPU doesn't support it anyway.

Sorry for the double bad news.

ps. Another minor problem, mostly irrelevant given the above but I thought I'd mention it anyway: the Hortonworks requirements says 4GB minimum, whereas you gave the VM 512MB, and in fact your host only has 4GB total fitted RAM. A bit of a disconnect there. Obviously you'd have to check the Hortonworks whether that 4GB figure is correct - it does seem high. I would assume that you only need enough RAM for whatever VM you run inside the "sandbox".
sheenam

Post by sheenam »

thanx a lot for a prompt reply.
Yes I checked that 4gb issue but providing extra memory also gave an error which after troubleshooting I found I need to reduce the memory.Neway I guess it will not work on my system.