Virtualbox Additions on Haiku OS -- compiled?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
mareklug
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian stable, Fedora 17 KDE Spin, Mint 14 Xfce, Haiku, Fubuntu 2013.2, Windows XP pro/7 pro/8 pro

Virtualbox Additions on Haiku OS -- compiled?

Post by mareklug »

So I am trying to make Haiku OS (alpha 4 release, current) play nice with Virtualbox 4.2.10 on an iMac 10.8.3 (early 2009 hardware). But I cannot either find a compiled version of the Additions, or build them (so far). I downloaded from svn the entire trunk of Virtualbox code, but it fails on .configure fairly early on.

It correctly identifies the architecture as haiku and has no problems with it, and gets by the gcc step (after you setgcc x88 gcc4 in Terminal), but it immediately fails on Wacom and IASL steps that follow, without generating any output to configure log.

Any help much appreciated, best a pointer to a compiled Haiku OS Virtualbox Additions 4.2.10 :) :) ;)

-- Marek

P.s. Haiku OS is a unix based on BeOS.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: Virtualbox Additions on Haiku OS -- compiled?

Post by Ramshankar »

Could you please post the commands and output of what you're trying to compile?

You would also need to compile the Haiku additions inside a Haiku guest (if that is what you're not doing).
Oracle Corp.
mareklug
Guest OSses: Debian stable, Fedora 17 KDE Spin, Mint 14 Xfce, Haiku, Fubuntu 2013.2, Windows XP pro/7 pro/8 pro

Post by mareklug »

Indeed, I am operating entirely within the Haiku guest on a Macintosh host. I have downloaded the entire Virtualbox trunk from svn:

svn co [You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.] svn/vbox/trunk/(while in ~/Desktop)

then I cd to the topmost (and only, as far as I can see, configure file, in here: ~/Desktop/trunk )

then I perform the command:
setgcc x86 gcc4 (which allows configure to find the gcc4 compiler, else it complains that it only finds gcc2.95)

then I attempt to configure:
./configure

The output to configure.log is empty, while the output to the terminal is:

./configure: line 2266: [: missing `]'
Checking for environment: Determined build machine: haiku.x86, target machine: haiku.86, OK.
Checking for kBuild: found, OK.
Checking for gcc: found version 4.6.3, OK.
Checking for Open Watcom:
** Open Watcom was not found!
Checking for iasl:
** iasl (Variable ASL) not found!
Check /boot/home/Desktop/trunk/configure.log for details

(I had to type in the output, as copy and paste and drag and drop do not work between the guest and the host)
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

I don't remember if configure worked on Haiku, I usually never use configure myself. Try using tools/env.sh instead.
Oracle Corp.
mareklug

Post by mareklug »

There is no tools/env.sh even after svn update (At revision 45470.). There is an env.sh inside kBuild subdirectory, but sh env.sh just spawns a shell with the prompt (in green):
user@shredder

Just exactly what do you suggest I do?

Can anyone at Oracle compile the Haiku OS Virtualbox Additions (now for Virtualbox 4.2.12)?
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

I did compile and test it back while I was merging it into the official VirtualBox code base. We don't have any automated building of Haiku additions yet, though I guess I'd be nice if we did and we can actually put out some kind of easy to install binaries... Anyway, I digress, it's been a while, I don't quite remember what exactly I did to get it compiled, but it wasn't something fancy. I'll try compiling it again soon and update this thread.
Oracle Corp.
mareklug

Post by mareklug »

Thank you! A compiled version will certainly make working on Haiku under Virtualbox much easier, if only for bidirectional copy-and-paste and avoidance of mouse capture.
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by J.L. »

Please forgive the bump, but this is exactly what I'm looking for. Due to my lack of experience, the only time I got it working is thanks to czeidler under Haiku GCC 4 Nightly.

If possible, I would like more up-to-date version of Guest Additions working under GCC 2 Hybrid, because that's what the current and future stable versions of Haiku is using. Thank you.
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).