Congratualtions for 1.6.2 release: OS/2 runs perfectly now!

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Congratualtions for 1.6.2 release: OS/2 runs perfectly now!

Post by ingo2 »

Many thanks to the Innotek-Crew who released VBox 1.6.2 today!

Now AMD-V is perfectly supported on my Athlon64-X2 and all my OS/2 installations now boot up without any problems and run stable! Host is Ubuntu-Hardy amd64.

(beforehand I needed a couple of boot attempts to bring OS/2 up and had to disable the global option 'catch keyboard on start')

I am running here original MCP2 as well as updated Warp4 flavours with drivers and kernel 14.104_UNI beeing by far more up-to-date than eCS 1.2r.
marten

Re: Congratualtions for 1.6.2 release: OS/2 runs perfectly n

Post by marten »

ingo2 wrote:Many thanks to the Innotek-Crew who released VBox 1.6.2 today!

Now AMD-V is perfectly supported on my Athlon64-X2 and all my OS/2 installations now boot up without any problems and run stable! Host is Ubuntu-Hardy amd64.

(beforehand I needed a couple of boot attempts to bring OS/2 up and had to disable the global option 'catch keyboard on start')

I am running here original MCP2 as well as updated Warp4 flavours with drivers and kernel 14.104_UNI beeing by far more up-to-date than eCS 1.2r.
On my system (Ubuntu-Hardy-AMD64, Phenon 9550) neither O/2 4.51, eCS 1.2 or ecs 2.0rc4 are booting ....

Marten
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

>On my system (Ubuntu-Hardy-AMD64, Phenon 9550) neither O/2 4.51, eCS 1.2 or ecs 2.0rc4 are booting ....

What does that mean? Booting from what device?

Ingo
marten

Post by marten »

ingo2 wrote:>On my system (Ubuntu-Hardy-AMD64, Phenon 9550) neither O/2 4.51, eCS 1.2 or ecs 2.0rc4 are booting ....

What does that mean? Booting from what device?

Ingo
I tried to install OS/2 in the following ways:

* OS/2 4.51 from original installation CD's. I get the upper right OS/2, but that was it

* eComStation 1.2 from original CD's. No way to install.

* eComStation 2.0 RC4 from iso image. No way to install. I get the message, that the first two discs are extracted, but that's it.

In all cases the virtual machine remains "dead" (nothing happens). All attempts were done with AMD virtualization support turned on.

Turning AMD virtualization off leads to serious errors within the virtual machine.
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

Seems the only way to set up an OS/2 VM is to use a bootable MCP2-CD to get a minimal system installed on a *.vdi which is able to boot.

Once done that, you can create other partititions and add them to the boot-manager menu.
These partititios can be filled with other existing OS/2-systems of whatever flavour of OS/2/eCS by copying all files over and making minor adjustments in config.sys to match the VBox-hardware.

Seems the eCS installer (as well as other OS/2-versions) does some dirty things to gather hardware information which is not supported by VBox. But once installed they all run flawlessly.

That's how I did:
one small partitition with MCP2 installed from CD and the other systems, programs, data I did copy over from VM's which I created with Parallels-Workstation.
Once you have a tiny bootable *.vdi set up, preserve it for future use!

Good luck,
Ingo
marten

Post by marten »

I just check it with the same machine with VBox 1.6.2 under Vista and this also does not work.
petrossa
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSx86, Linuxes, vista, win 7

Post by petrossa »

marten wrote:[
In all cases the virtual machine remains "dead" (nothing happens). All attempts were done with AMD virtualization support turned on.

Turning AMD virtualization off leads to serious errors within the virtual machine.
same here, phenom 9600, vista x64
emn8w8
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: OS/2 (Warp 4-4.52), eComStation (1.2...2.0RC7, IBM PC_DOS, Windows XP

Post by emn8w8 »

I heartily second the first post of Ingo: Virtualbox v 1.6.2. makes my OS/2 versions run again and on top of that: you improved the sound support so now I even can hear OS/2.. :D ..!
And to ice the cake: the VESA driver has apparently been updated as well: max resolution is now 1600x1200 with SNAP applied..!

Great job, hats off, deep bow, many thanks..!

Best regards, Erik
marten

Post by marten »

Did the tests with eComsStation RC5 and VB 1.6.4 and still not possible to install this OS ...

Marten
emn8w8
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: OS/2 (Warp 4-4.52), eComStation (1.2...2.0RC7, IBM PC_DOS, Windows XP

Post by emn8w8 »

Hi, marten,

This might help...: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=6130
it doesn't resolve the problem of installation (up to now you just can't install this) but it makes it (kinda) work...

Best regards, Erik