Max resolution for guest lowered since vbox upgrade to 1.6

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Krotow

Re: Max resolution for guest lowered since vbox upgrade to 1

Post by Krotow »

Linuxuser wrote:I upgraded virtualbox from 1.5.6 to 1.6 (including the guest additions) on my 32-bit Ubuntu Hardy host and so far have only one problem with my Windows XP install:

The max resolution offered for the guest is at 1152x864 whereas in vbox 1.5.6 I could switch to 1280x1024 without any problems.
Has anybody else experienced this? If you need more info, I'll gladly provide that.
Confirmed on OpenSUSE 10.3 host with Windows XP quest. Video mode after VirtualBox upgrade and VirtualBox Additions upgrade on guest was exactly 1152x864 (as you say). In my case VBox guest window was maximized before VBox upgrade. Seems, VBox guest can't determine host video mode, if VBox window is maximized at first run after VirtualBox Additions upgrade to 1.6.0. And 1152x864 is largest possible default video mode for VBox guest :?

:idea: Possible solution around this bug (works for me):

- exit from Fullscreen or Seamless mode to normal screen;
- restore VirtualBox guest window (maximize/restore button or what your GUI windows has);
- maximize VirtualBox guest window back. Now VirtualBox WinXP guest must have video mode, that fills all free space after Linux GUI and VBox window elements (what we needed).

That' all. Happy living in virtualized world :P
jpfarias

Post by jpfarias »

Hi!

I would like say it is ok to have the vm bigger than the host desktop, after all, one of the purposes of the virtual machines is to test software at the different situations.

I usually have a big desktop vm running where I have lots of windows side by side to do my testing. It uses 1600x1200 resolution. With 1.6 release of vbox I can't get that resolution anymore.

I think it is silly to limit the resolution, can't see what is the point of having this limit and I think many users here share the same idea with me.

I hope a new release of vbox will remove this limitation. Until then, I am back to 1.5.6, which is great anyway... :)

Thanks for your attention guys!

--
JP
Peri_quete

Post by Peri_quete »

Same problem in 1.6.2
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Please read the manual section 9.12.
Peri_quete

Post by Peri_quete »

Frank Mehnert wrote:Please read the manual section 9.12.

I selected
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any

and works perfectly

Well done, thank you very much.
jpfarias

Post by jpfarias »

Thanks Frank!

You are a life saver... :-)
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL