VirtualBox 4.2 crashes on Restart after Ubuntu install

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
creatorbri

VirtualBox 4.2 crashes on Restart after Ubuntu install

Post by creatorbri »

When I try to install an Ubuntu-based OS in a VirtualBox 4.2.x VM (on a Windows 7 x64 host), VirtualBox always crashes at the end of the install when the machine goes to reboot.

Here's the crash report from Windows (not sure how helpful it will be):
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	VirtualBox.exe
  Application Version:	4.2.4.0
  Application Timestamp:	508ac1cf
  Fault Module Name:	MSVCR100.dll
  Fault Module Version:	10.0.40219.1
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4d5f034a
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	000000000003c1b0
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	9f04
  Additional Information 2:	9f046046f0bb306991d764ce2ad02404
  Additional Information 3:	6f05
  Additional Information 4:	6f05b8f4e0326d934ae2215b29427b1a
Here's my Host system info:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.7GHz
RAM: 16.0GB
Hardware: Sony Vaio E15112FXS (brand new) - Virtualization enabled in BIOS

The problem occurs with Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10 x64, Xubuntu 12.10 x64, Lubuntu 32-bit, et al. I've configured each VM with a 20+ GB hard drive and 1-2 GB RAM. Oddly enough, the problem did NOT occur with Ubuntu Server 12.04, Pinguy OS, Zorin OS, or Bodhi OS..
Attachments
virtualbox-ubuntu-crash.jpg
virtualbox-ubuntu-crash.jpg (96.84 KiB) Viewed 43201 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 4.2 crashes on Restart after Ubuntu install

Post by mpack »

Post the VM log file from a crashed session please. The VM log file is called "VBox.log", and can be found in the "Logs" subfolder of your VM folder, and should be posted as a .zip attachment.
alexDgreat

Post by alexDgreat »

VBox.log.1.zip
VM log file from a crashed session report
(15.8 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Hey guys,
I have the same problem. My Virtual box 4.2.2 crashed on two occasions, on restart after Ubuntu install. I downloaded Virtual box 4.2.4 but the problem still persist...

My system configuration is
2Gb RAM
250Gb HDD
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz 2.17GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

what should I do to solve this problem.
The crash log report is attached
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@alexDgreat,

You say Ubuntu but the log says CentOS.
Your issue is more than likely a recourse deficiency.
You are assigning more RAM than is actually available. You can see this if you read the top of your log file.

00:00:04.174976 Host RAM: 1917MB total, 1002MB available
00:00:04.888727 Name <string> = "CENTOS" (cb=7)
00:00:04.888744 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000040000000 (1 073 741 824, 1 024 MB)
alexDgreat

Post by alexDgreat »

sorry I wrote Ubuntu.... I was already working under stress.
It was centos 6.3. I allocated 1024mb of RAM because, a video tutorial I download from youtube shows that to get a graphics user interface during installation, I av to allocate a minimum of 1024mb. but right now I am installing Ubuntu 10.04.4-desktop to see how far I can go.....thanks Perryg
creatorbri

Post by creatorbri »

Ok, just to be sure I had a clean log, I created a new VM using the exact same parameters as before. This one happens to be Lubuntu 12.10 (32-bit).

However, I looked at the log before zipping it -- turns out all but the very last line were written during the initial boot, and while the last line definitely was written AFTER I clicked the "Restart" button, it doesn't look to terribly helpful. Hopefully you experts can get something more from it...

Edit: To clarify, it DID crash again, as I expected.
Attachments
ubuntu-vm-crash-log.zip
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@creatorbri,

Could you also post the following:
From the hosts terminal/command window type VBoxManage showvminfo <VM Name> --details and post here. Replace <VM Name> with the actual name of the VM. Use " " if the name has a space in it.

Note if the host is Windows you need to be in the directory that has VBoxManage.exe for the command to work.

I have been working on an issue with the new Unity DT and their software rendering 3D acceleration. It might also effect your shut-down but not really sure yet. If so there will be a fix in the maintenance release.

I also see that you are using a vmdk format for you guest. Is this a transplant or can you tell me why it is not VDI?
ubuntumasterwannabe

Post by ubuntumasterwannabe »

I also had this problem while trying to install ubuntu. Please let me know if you figure this out.
Thanks
thetester

Post by thetester »

Hi I had a similar problem with Windows 8 Pro as host. It was happening for both Ubuntu and Fedora installations.

Here's what I did and solved my problem. I was using the .iso files as virtual drive to install the guest OSes.

I force unmounted the virtual drive (I was using .iso file as a virtual drive for the installations) just before pressing the reboot button. VirtualBox did not crash this time. However, I had to send a manual "Power off" and restart the VM again. It worked!

Maybe in case it helps you guys!
anranga

Post by anranga »

I had the same issue installing on Windows 7 - 64 bit. As the installations starts we are prompted (a checkbox) to choose to check for updates. I had this enabled when it crashed. The next time I did not check this & tried, it went thro'.
pxr

Post by pxr »

thetester wrote:Hi I had a similar problem with Windows 8 Pro as host. It was happening for both Ubuntu and Fedora installations.

Here's what I did and solved my problem. I was using the .iso files as virtual drive to install the guest OSes.

I force unmounted the virtual drive (I was using .iso file as a virtual drive for the installations) just before pressing the reboot button. VirtualBox did not crash this time. However, I had to send a manual "Power off" and restart the VM again. It worked!

Maybe in case it helps you guys!
I had the same problem. Not sure how to unmount virtual drive. I had this iso file in my windows 7 64 bit downloads directory .
also what is meant by manual "power off" mean ?. it is rebooting the windows 7 machine ?. I did cleanly shut off virtual box and windows 7, with no help.

Yesterday, I installed ubuntu 12.10 desktop from virtual box 4.2.6 . Initially it got installed well, but I suspected some issue, so I decided to install again. I chose the option of ‘delete and install’ but it says it stalled well and asks me to restart it, when I restart and it crashes VM box . when I start it says abort. If I start ubuntu 12.10, it installs over and over with the same issue. I heard hard reset, but not sure what it really mean
I tried to uninstall ubuntu, but couldn’t make it how to do. With a hope to do clean run, I uninstalled Virtual Box and reinstalled and reran ubuntu installation, the problem is same. I am attaching the vbox.log , hopefull it will help in debugging.
I installed virtual box on windows 7 OS with AMD e-450 CPU , with bios 52CN15WW. Here is the log of the latest install log. Appreciate any input.
Attachments
ubuntu 12.10-2013-03-01-10-37-38.log
(45.52 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
tracker

Post by tracker »

Hi ,

Same happened with me too. Crash after installation complete and reboot. I just restarted VM again and unmounted .iso iamge from CD/DVD drive.Guest OS booted perfectly without any issues.
ekerazha

Post by ekerazha »

I also have this issue with every VirtualBox 4.2 release.

This issue has been reported multiple times with multiple Linux distributions: I can reproduce it on a Windows 8 Pro x64 host with every Linux guest I tried (Ubuntu, Fedora etc.).

Steps to reproduce the issue:
  • Boot the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit live image.
  • Install the OS (files copy).
  • It asks to restart the system.
  • Try to restart the system -> VirtualBox 4.2 crashes when the live image is mounted in VirtualBox. If you force the image ejection before trying to restart, then VirtualBox doesn't crash.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Such reproductible issues should be added to The BugTracker. Make sure another ticket does not exist for this issue already.
If you create a new ticket, provide detailed and accurate step by step with versions and filenames, aswell as the VM log file and the guest config.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
ekerazha

Post by ekerazha »

This issue should be the same issue: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11004